How do members drain gas from tank to run E85

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I understand Lund Racing makes great tunes, but do they ever answer their phone.LOL
They do majority of their work via email and the ticketing system because it keeps record of anything.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I understand Lund Racing makes great tunes, but do they ever answer their phone.LOL
email works best. Yes they answer emails promptly when open.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lol. I have never drained the tank nor had any problems not draining it. Yall over thinking this...

OP
OP

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Lol. I have never drained the tank nor had any problems not draining it. Yall over thinking this...
If you make the effort to run a MS109 Tune,I think it would be smart to have MS109 Fuel in the fuel rails and not pump gas in the fuel rail before you make that 1/4 mile pass.Not enough octane to support your tune will kill these motors.Just Saying

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you make the effort to run a MS109 Tune,I think it would be smart to have MS109 Fuel in the fuel rails and not pump gas in the fuel rail before you make that 1/4 mile pass.Not enough octane to support your tune will kill these motors.Just Saying
That and the fact that some people reading this thread might actually be wondering how to drain the tank so they can install a new fuel pump.
Eg. They don’t need a drain tune, they don’t need to swap fuel types, they just want to empty the damn tank.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
A little bit probably... But for those that have concerns it makes sense to drain it as much as possible or do what @Zelek said and use the FF tune as a bridge.

Just so those are aware - if you are flashing to the flex fuel tune with E85 in the tank, be aware the engine will freak out a bit on start up. It assumes a starting point of E10 gas i.e. AFR 14.1. So if there is heavy ethanol to start - the engine will rev oddly and AFR will spike and come back down.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Of course this is also an easy option. I mention the flex simply because the ability to run any ratio of 93 or e85 is extremely convenient, especially now in FL where everyone is freaking out buying gas due to dorian. IMO, the tunes are all the same price, why not opt for the superior flexibility of being given a flex tune and an e85r tune rather than be locked to just a 93 tune and e85 only tune. Just my 2 cents.

I live in Orlando also and I just run either straight E85R or 93 tune from PBD. I don't see a need for flex tunes, there's several E85 gas stations around here that routinely tests above 80%. I run 93 tune once every few months to clean the fuel lines. In both cases I just run the tank down to 0 and fill up and change tunes. A flex tune robs you of mid range power so I don't see a benefit to it. If I'm driving out of state or down south I'll switch over to 93 tune.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I live in Orlando also and I just run either straight E85R or 93 tune from PBD. I don't see a need for flex tunes, there's several E85 gas stations around here that routinely tests above 80%. I run 93 tune once every few months to clean the fuel lines. In both cases I just run the tank down to 0 and fill up and change tunes. A flex tune robs you of mid range power so I don't see a benefit to it. If I'm driving out of state or down south I'll switch over to 93 tune.
Flex tunes are more convenience tunes rather than every day tunes. It makes it so you don't have to run your tank down to 0 miles and worry about running out of gas before you actually get to the station. Just switch fuels and don't even think about it, run that tank down, then swap to E85R or 93 octane tunes respectively.

It's a lot easier to flash tunes than sit there and run your tank down to 0 every time going past the gas station 5+ times trying to get it down to 0 miles.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Flex tunes are more convenience tunes rather than every day tunes. It makes it so you don't have to run your tank down to 0 miles and worry about running out of gas before you actually get to the station. Just switch fuels and don't even think about it, run that tank down, then swap to E85R or 93 octane tunes respectively.

It's a lot easier to flash tunes than sit there and run your tank down to 0 every time going past the gas station 5+ times trying to get it down to 0 miles.

That just seems like an unnecessary added step. If you're gonna run the tank down anyway, plan it for either the 93 tune or E85 tunes. The 93 tune is actually more forgiving, so you can have a couple of gallons of E85 in the tank, fill with the 93, then use the 93 tune right away. It's really the E85 tune that needs to have as little 93 remaining, for that just going down to 0 is enough. With 0 miles, there's an extra gallon of spare fuel so that's 15-20 miles on 93.

I would see the flex tune as beneficial if you're driving into new territory where you don't know what stations carry what. Though it my case, if I'm going on a trip I just switch to 93 for the duration. I wouldn't want to give up the low and mid range power that a dedicated E85R tune provides, just to use flex as a transition tune between 93 and E85. Know your stations and plan ahead and you'll never have a problem going between 93 and dedicated E85.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
The old fashioned way with the use of he jerrycan adapter in the trunk.
We used to call that an "Arkansas credit card".
Sponsored