Sponsored

How do I know if my steering is properly straight?

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
Hi All,

I would like your advise on how to fully test if steering is straight , such as how to handle the wheel, where to test the car, how to test the car in a straight line. My bumper to bumper Warranty Expires in 7 Days from today.

Background Story :

I recently had a Alignment done due to inside tire wear on two Front Michelin Pilot 4S. The could not put the put it back to factory spec on Front Left wheel / tire which was -1.7 which is not in spec.

Took it another place they found strut is slightly bent / offset which was the root cause in which the car had 23,000 miles at this point of time. I have had the car since 7,000 miles. Which means I have been driving for almost 16,000 Miles with a car that was off alignment :crazy: with Lane Keep Assist turned on.

Current Observations :

I got it fixed with a new strut. I did an another alignment with the new strut I am now sitting at -1.5 for Front Left, which is just in spec.; my Front right is -0.9 currently which is also in spec. I received it back two days ago and notice I had to constantly correct the steering more and it's always leaning either to left or right depending on road undulations. When I feel the steering wheel in neutral returning to dead center I could see it rest slightly towards the left like 3-6 mm down and the right would be about 3-6 mm up.

Questions :

1. Is this me being paranoid, a bad driver, or just adapting to a car that is now straight after 23,000.
  2. Could this also be because the tires and suspension are aligned properly now that the suspension, tires, and wheels are communicating, transmitting and tugging the steering wheel properly with the road now?
  3. Do you think that the steering might slightly be offset and titled?

Thank you so for your Advice and Suggestions in Advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I assume after 23K of driving, they are not going to cover a bent strut. 98% chance that that happened during your possession. I just don't see them accepting this as something to cover.

OP
OP
Takeshi

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
Hey LSChicago,

I updated the original to clarify the context more. I had the strut replaced already at 23,000 miles. I am feeling the feedback from steering wheel and turning is slightly off now and occurring more often now after I got it back as more correction is needed.

I assume after 23K of driving, they are not going to cover a bent strut. 98% chance that that happened during your possession. I just don't see them accepting this as something to cover.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Time for camber plates and/or bolts.

I like camber to be equal side to side.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Hey LSChicago,

I updated the original to clarify the context more. I had the strut replaced already at 23,000 miles. I am feeling the feedback from steering wheel and turning is slightly off now and occurring more often now after I got it back as more correction is needed.
So you have replacement parts installed, because yours were bent. Why Would Ford warranty this? It's your baby now.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a mostly flat road, like a 3 lane divided highway, and take your hands off the wheel it should drive straight with the steering wheel straight with only the slightest correction. If so, its straight

if it pulls to the side, and to correct it you end up with a straight wheel, it may need correcting.
Dealership alignment departments are not great. Best to go ahead and oay to have someone who really gives two shits align the car. Getting the front toe right is pretty easy work and shouldn’t cost much.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you have a mostly flat road, like a 3 lane divided highway, and take your hands off the wheel it should drive straight with the steering wheel straight with only the slightest correction. If so, its straight

if it pulls to the side, and to correct it you end up with a straight wheel, it may need correcting.
Dealership alignment departments are not great. Best to go ahead and oay to have someone who really gives two shits align the car. Getting the front toe right is pretty easy work and shouldn’t cost much.
Also be sure to switch off Lane Keeping Assist. Find a smooth level (minimum crown) road with little traffic. I like to drive 40-50mph for this test.

I have very little toe-in front and back. My car goes very straight for a block with no hands on the wheel and my steering wheel is straight.

When you go to the alignment shop it is very important that your steering wheel is level before they begin. I am tall, so I angle my wheel up and then sight that the horizontal "spoke" aligns with the bezels of the dash.
Sponsored