Sponsored

How do I get that little 'rev bump' when letting out the clutch from a stop?

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, the battery died because I'm not driving much anymore. Now the car isn't doing something it was doing before and I don't know how to get it back. The car is a 2019 GT PP2 with 401A and the manual transmission.

When letting out the clutch in first gear, the revs used to rise a bit. Like from ~800 to 1100 RPM. This made for a very smooth start using the clutch only.

Any idea how I can get that back?!

I have rev matching turned on and hill assist off, which is how I had things set up before the battery died. I've never used FORScan.

edit:
I went for a drive today and it was back!

Problem solved! Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's just 'anti stall' rather than an intentional 'rev bump' for zero throttle starts ?

Anyhow, I wonder if the unintentional KAM reset has affected it and if it will return (or become more noticeable) as the car relearns ? I don't really know, I'm just kicking ideas around :like:

WD :like:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think that's just 'anti stall' rather than an intentional 'rev bump' for zero throttle starts ?

Anyhow, I wonder if the unintentional KAM reset has affected it and if it will return (or become more noticeable) as the car relearns ? I don't really know, I'm just kicking ideas around :like:

Yeah, it's just an anti stall feature.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I wouldn't so much call it 'anit-stall' and more of a 'Roll Out' feature.
It's for using only the clutch for getting the car moving easier without the accelerator in situations like stop/go traffic.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
It's going to come back after a bit of driving. I recently had my car die in the garage. After getting a jump and backing out of the drive, I stalled it again because I expected it to give me the rev bump you're talking about. Luckily it restarted, but I had a hell of a time for 10-15 minutes of driving where it was not doing the rev bump, and I am a newer manual driver and have totally relied on that for smooth starts and less wear as I learned slowly...

So yeah it will come back soon.

Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
I had no clue this “anti-stall” is a thing that exists??

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this has something to do with a few incidents I've had over the past year where I think it doesn't get enough gas, and stalls out. At the same time, the wrench icon comes on and rev match and hill assist turn off. All I have to do is shut down the car for maybe 2 minutes, and everything comes back up. Seems to only happen when cold and while going into 2nd driving slowly in my neighborhood. Now I simply tap the gas and make sure that "bump" comes up. Haven't had the issue since.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I had no clue this “anti-stall” is a thing that exists??
The engine has to be at a minimum rpm to idle. The ECM monitors RPM to make sure the engine doesn't fall too low. If load is added and RPM begins to fall, the ECM adds fuel and opens the throttle a little bit to get back up there.

This was done by foot back in the day.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The engine has to be at a minimum rpm to idle. The ECM monitors RPM to make sure the engine doesn't fall too low. If load is added and RPM begins to fall, the ECM adds fuel and opens the throttle a little bit to get back up there.

This was done by foot back in the day.
Still done by many manual drivers because they use to have to do it to keep from stalling. Honestly, never even noticed the car doing it. I always give it a little gas just because that is what you do to engage smoothly. I like to try to make a game of it and try to make the smoothest transitions I can and see how many I can string together.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I put this feature in the same category as the rev hang, lane keeping alert, automatic / assisted braking (whatever its called) etc.

If the feature intervenes it could indicate the driver has done something wrong. Kind of like learning a manual in a dual control car. If the instructor needs to use the dual controls, it's an indication that the student has done something wrong and / or required some additional assistance.

Perhaps the correct / modern way of wording this is that it provides an 'opportunity for improvement' :like:

I like to try to make a game of it and try to make the smoothest transitions I can and see how many I can string together.
This is a great way of looking at it, use it as a challenge rather than allowing yourself to become reliant on it :like:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I wonder if this has something to do with a few incidents I've had over the past year where I think it doesn't get enough gas, and stalls out. At the same time, the wrench icon comes on and rev match and hill assist turn off. All I have to do is shut down the car for maybe 2 minutes, and everything comes back up. Seems to only happen when cold and while going into 2nd driving slowly in my neighborhood. Now I simply tap the gas and make sure that "bump" comes up. Haven't had the issue since.
This sounds like a different issue. I also have experienced the hill assist/rev match module failure a bunch in the last two years, on two different Mustangs (a 19 and 20). For me the common factor seems to be that I am backing up out of my driveway. Dealer was never able to reproduce, but I have a list of notifications for these faults a mile long in my Ford Pass app. (it pops alerts there every time it fails)

I drive for 5-10 minutes, rev matching manually like an animal, and then it all comes back.

Literally though I was just thinking the other day about how it hasn't happened in a while, I've gone about 3 months without the issue now. I was hoping it was just a software glitch, since both my brand new 19 and 20 did the exact same thing.
Sponsored