Sponsored

How did you get more torque out of your Mustang?

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
^^This.

Slow down some. Get the car. Learn it. Then make goals for yourself on what you want to do with the car. I think you're going to be surrpised how much that traction control light flickers. And what's the point of more torque down low if your hmm, tires or your hmm, suspension can't keep up?

Hint hint...
All true.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Take a look at the F150 intake manifold thread. Some people have seen up to +40hp/tq in the midrange with only a slight drop off over 6500rpm.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Reactions: 113

Sponsored

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
My setup was optimized for torque and makes for a lot of fun.

AirAid intake w grille holes opened up for ram air

ARH 1 3/4 headers with corsa sport 3" exhaust

AED FF tune

on 91 pump it made 380 ft lbs SAE at 3000, 410 peak at 4200
it's much snappier on E85 but I didn't dyno it on E85.

Then I swapped out my PP wheels for TSW Bathurst with Eradispeed rotors and ditched 93 lbs rotating and added an aluminum driveshaft for another 15-18lbs and now it's a really snappy fun car to drive.

I contemplated doing a cobra jet setup with l&m intake cams, but I love the torque so I decided to go TVS with 8-10psi:cheers:

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
One of the big reasons the 5.0s feel very weak with low rpm torque is because the car is programmed to be that way. Car has torque management which basically takes a lot of power away at low rpm so that there is less stress on the drive-train and so that bad drivers dont spin out too easily. If you look at the power pack 1 tune from ford you see it gains 40 ftlbs at 1500 rpm. Thats the torque management being close to disabled. The complaints of weak low end torque and delayed throttle response are symptoms of the same problem.

So the best thing you can do by a huge margin is tune. The worst thing you can do is get a throttlecommanderboosterpedal. Why go from 4k to 1080p?

The next thing is headers.

And keep your stock intake manifold.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
A tune is always the best option, they yield the greatest results per dollar invested typically.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Id say drop an LS Motor in there.:ninja:

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
If low end torque a problem there are a few things you can do about it, but there is only so much you can do with a NA 5.0. The engine is not torquey and you can’t make it.

1. Ford Performance Pack 1 or Pack 2. This thing is a no-brained. It price is reasonable, and Ford has added a healthy 40 lb around 1500 RPM. There are other 3rd party tunes avail as well, but the Ford Racing ones are plenty respectable and don’t void your warranty.

2. An H-pipe based free flowing Catback exhaust. This will be marginal, but h-pipes tend to offer better torque at lower RPM than the X-pipe. Enough to feel by the seat of your pants? Probably not. But a few fingers balled up makes for a strong fist. It will help with the overal goals of low end torque which is what your after.

3. Headers. You can do a set of headers to also increase torque. They will work well with the h-pipe I mentioned. You can opt for long tubes or shorty. The shorty cost less, fit easier, and address the low end torque your after. A set of long tubes offer more power through the RPM range, but they cost more and you also have worry about fitting.

The PP 1 cars in manual trim offer 3.73 gears. Not the best for daily driving, but quicker acceleration than 3.51. If your going after a PP car, keep the 3.73

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
I second the whipple.
Sponsored