Sponsored

How bad is it running no front 02 sensors?

Socal_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP FBO E85 (Sold) 2019 Mustang GT PP
Hey guys So my car is currently at the shop and they just finished installing my long tube headers, they were able to make the driver side 02 sensor reach but they couldn't get the passenger side to fit.

The car has a Lund Racing Tune already on it and i know they automatically disable the rear 02 sensors.

But honestly how bad would it be to drive the car for a couple days without that one hooked up until I receive the Extension in the mail?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
A. Have the extension over-nighted. Pay for the shipping.
B. Park it and get a rental or something.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
See if you can buy a F150 Coyote O2 sensor for the same year. The harness is longer.

Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Don’t do it. Just buy wire and extend it. It was easy

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Probably as bad as running E85 on a stock tune.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Toss the rear ones, sure. But without the widebands I would guess the car would just default into a closed loop limp mode of some kind. I sure wouldn’t run it that way.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be surprised if it even drove

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It would be exceptionally bad. Fronts are needed to gauge fuel injector trims. If it ran, it would definitely run like garbage because it would probably run in a failsafe mode that was pig rich and spark retarded to all heck.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oh, and you will need to let lund know that you installed an extension when you do. The length of the o2 sensor line is important for tuners, there are tables to accommodate for it.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and you will need to let lund know that you installed an extension when you do. The length of the o2 sensor line is important for tuners, there are tables to accommodate for it.
I am no expert but I thought o2 delay isn’t nearly what it was with ek5 Ecu and older. So much so that the stock calibration can adjust for long tube length differences without issue.

I extended mine (on the sensor side at that) without issues.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm just getting into tuning, but I've read the "Coyote Cookbook" and the two books Greg Banish put out on the topic. I believe that one or if not all of them mentioned that the O2 extension/tune revision is best. The ECU in most modern cars are pretty good about adapting their way through a lot of issues, moreso the Ford because we use wideband o2's but I would say if you are already working with a tuner, get your moneys worth and have them update the tune. I'd rather have the values spot on, then to have the ECU try to adapt them.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The transport delay is not because of the extension harness, it is to account for the distance from the combustion chamber to the o2 sensor. Long tubes are further away which the table can account for, that is why the table is setup based on RPM and load (I think off top of my head). It is not a linear change due to the velocity of the exhaust gasses being different under different conditions. For example, at lower loads/rpms it takes about a 50% correction vs being pretty close at higher loads/rpm, at least based on my testing.

Car will run and drive without front O2's. When both of mine fried I drove it about a week until I could put the new ones in. Obviously don't got WOT and driving crazy, but just normal driving it was perfectly fine.
Sponsored