Sponsored

How are you protecting your car in your garage?

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I really appreciate all the ideas that have outlined here.

For now I think I'm going to do a couple of things.
  • Institute a rule having all passengers enter the cars outside of the garage
  • Getting the door edge guards for the Kia Sorrento
  • Rearranging the garage a little to allow the cars to be parked a little further apart
Still thinking about a couple of things
  • Creating a barrier. I still may try my folding box idea.
  • Getting a car cover
Still interested in other people sharing their experience with this issue.

Thanks,
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm the only one who accesses my garage. No worries. Wife parks in front. My daily gets parked out front.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
My driver door opens up next to a big metal shelf. I padded the shelf with a section of foam pipe insulation. Same idea as pool noodles, but easier to work with, IMO. It's split so it's easy to pop it over the edge of the shelf, add a little duct tape to keep it there.

BonJayvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I love the humorous replies.

But I love even more the serious replies from those who have attempted to address this issue.

Anyone using a car cover to address this? That is, using a car cover on a car that get's used frequently, not just long term storage.

Thanks
I park my 18 in a garage with another vehicle that's used regularly. I just put a car cover on it and then put old comforters on top of that over the middle part of the car that would have any chance of getting bumped by a wild door or anything else. I have 2 or 3 comforters on there and its nice and cushioned. This is only for winter storage though. Probably a lot of work constantly adding and removing the covers if the vehicles used regularly.

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I wish this thread came about a few months ago. Both dings are from my 8 year old. Perhaps when she's little older, I'll tell her that more dings mean I'm going to get carbon fiber doors using her college fund.

IMG_8366.JPG
Why does everyone have there Mustang in the garage with barriers and padding around it,you should be driving them.We had a high temp of 82* today with a low of 68* tonight,I don't understand this garage protection thing,could someone please explain this silly stuff !!

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I found parking it by it self in the middle of the 2 car portion of our garage works best!

Rob Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well our 2019 is our 3rd vehicle so it is not a DD but something to cruise in on nice days. We are transitioning from riding Harleys to the convertible. It is our first car in 35 years ( we have always had trucks ) and since we live in the Northeast we wanted it off the road in the Winter. So we had a few options ... get a car trailer to store it in ... store it at one of the many storage places ... OR .... build a garage. I convinced my Wife to do the garage since we had a horse barn ( horse passed 4 years ago ) that was 12’ wide x 32’ long. Sooo .... we added a 24’ x 32’ add-on garage to it. Basically a 3 car garage for 2 cars equalling plenty of room ;-)
C22145A0-DC99-46A6-9FD3-36D53F6ABF98.jpeg
7767B67E-BC2D-4785-AC66-6B38ABD70DEA.jpeg

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
That works out well most of the time, but there is always "that one guy." You park all the way in the back of the lot and he is parked next to you so close you can barely get in. Out of all the parking spots in the lot, he picks right next to you away from everyone else.
You know, diagonal pliers and tire valve stems don't mix well together. Just sayin'. :wink:

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I have a car cover, purchased from Ford. I use it a lot . It prevents door dings because the only way my wife knows to open a door is to swing it wide. It also stops her ridiculous handbag scraping against my car
I would like to buy a cover to put over my wife
I have been thinking about banning her car from using the garage. When I drive, either car, all passengers exit before the garage. Ours is not a over-sized wide garage

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have a car cover, purchased from Ford. I use it a lot . It prevents door dings because the only way my wife knows to open a door is to swing it wide. It also stops her ridiculous handbag scraping against my car
I would like to buy a cover to put over my wife
I have been thinking about banning her car from using the garage. When I drive, either car, all passengers exit before the garage. Ours is not a over-sized wide garage
Cover for your wife would be a body bag. That would look mighty suspicious. :bandit:

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Please teach your children to respect other peoples property. If they're flinging doors into your car, imagine what they are doing in parking lots.

I personally would probably go with the noodles hanging from the ceiling from string, or small rope. Maybe two or three to look like a fence.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I love the humorous replies.

But I love even more the serious replies from those who have attempted to address this issue.

Anyone using a car cover to address this? That is, using a car cover on a car that get's used frequently, not just long term storage.

Thanks
I think if you put a car cover on a dirty car you will be likely to create scratches in the paint. If you wash and then dry the car every night before you put the cover on, that could work. Or if you don't care about scratches...

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I have taught my children well
It is my wife who is unteachable. Her punishment is that she is not allowed to drive my car. She can sit in the passenger seat but I open and close the door to keep her fingerprints off the window

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Please teach your children to respect other peoples property. If they're flinging doors into your car, imagine what they are doing in parking lots.

I personally would probably go with the noodles hanging from the ceiling from string, or small rope. Maybe two or three to look like a fence.
From what you say, it seems you're hanging your noodles perpendicular to the garage floor. Hanging so they are parallel to the floor (horizontal) will likely require fewer adjustments upon installation, and protect in a wider range of fore-and-aft parking positions. (Quick flashback to the 1950s short-subject movie that—with a somber, straight face—showed the spaghetti harvest in a village in Italy. The spaghetti was depicted as hanging on tree branches and being picked by hand. Available on YouTube: )

Hack said : "I think if you put a car cover on a dirty car you will be likely to create scratches in the paint. If you wash and then dry the car every night before you put the cover on, that could work. Or if you don't care about scratches..."

Very accurate. When I had black cars it was easy to see the dust (and scratches) that were accumulated, even though I religiously California Dustered the car before putting on the cover.

There Is a real dilemma with car covers: most of the regular products , from cheap throw-aways to expensive car dealer-supplied ones are made to "breathe"; If they aren't, moisture condenses on their insides, so you have mud in proportion to the amount of dust present when you put it on.

The other big problem, for me anyway, is tha dust that lands on the outside of the cover doesn;t stay there, filtering in through the "breathing" feature. After a couple of installs and removals, the cover is a carrier of dust some of which it deposits on the car when you take it off. Vacuuming doesn't do much to remove the dust from the cover, which is too big shake effectively or put in the washing machine. So, unless you have a cover for your cover or a dust-free garage, you'll be dealing with dust no matter what you do.

If you really, really try, you can win the Mustang v. ding and dust battles, but at some point the preventive measures become ridiculous.
Sponsored