Sponsored

How are you changing oil & filter at home

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Just courteous how DIY'ers are changing oil and filter change at home. Please post up pictures.... On base Auto Hobby Shop closed, so I have to figure out DIY at home.

Oil Change 2019 10 20 On Lift.jpg
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.raceramps.com/garage-service/ramps/race/p/rr-72-2/

I have yet to change mine, but I did buy a set of Race Ramps; the model purchased has less than a 7% grade, allowing me to drive up on them with the front splitter attached. They're also lightweight and I can put them in the car.

Waiting for Holiday specials, for Pennzoil UP and a Femco or UPR drain plug. The factory plug is fine and all, but it appears to be an all-or-nothing event. I like the idea of attaching a hose and gradually letting it out.

Edit: as others have pointed out, a jack and jack stands. If you have not already installed them, jacking rails can help; I installed a set from Steeda for more jack placement options.

Last edited:

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Just courteous how DIY'ers are changing oil and filter change at home. Please post up pictures.... On base Auto Hobby Shop closed, so I have to figure out DIY at home.

Oil Change 2019 10 20 On Lift.jpg
Both Maxwell and Gunter shops closed?

Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I've done myself since buying the car in Dec. 2017. It works out to a couple of times per year. I could take a pic next time I do it, but I'm between oil changes right now.

I use speed ramps where I can separate the back part of the ramp leaving the car on blocks. I have one of those 3d printed devices used to put under the oil filter to avoid spillage someone was selling in here a couple of years ago, and a filler funnel that screws into the passenger side oil cap hole that avoids leaks.

I have a metal oil pan so I unscrew that while the oil is hot, dump it into a pan, unscrew the oil filter, dump that into the pan. Wipe everything up.

Put the drain plug back into the oil pan after inspecting the O-ring (so far I haven't had to replace it). Put fresh oil in the new oil filter after writing the date and my initials on it, then install that. Then fill the engine up to full on the dipstick, check for leaks, fire the engine up for a minute. Shut it off. Look for leaks again. Top off the oil to full on the dipstick. Dump the oil out of the catch cans and clean those. Write down the mileage, and I'm done.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I wasn't aware of it, but someone else pointed out the Ford Pass App allows you to upload your personal service records; these will show up for viewing by Ford and CarFax.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.raceramps.com/garage-service/ramps/race/p/rr-72-2/

I have yet to change mine, but I did buy a set of Race Ramps; the model purchased has less than a 7% grade, allowing me to drive up on them with the front splitter attached. They're also lightweight and I can put them in the car.

Waiting for Holiday specials, for Pennzoil UP and a Femco or UPR drain plug. The factory plug is fine and all, but it appears to be an all-or-nothing event. I like the idea of attaching a hose and gradually letting it out.

Edit: as others have pointed out, a jack and jack stands. If you have not already installed them, jacking rails can help; I installed a set from Steeda for more jack placement options.
Wholly cow, that raceramps are expensive.

I have this drain plug, with metal clips (forgot the name). I think I paid $80-90 range.

You can see slight metal shavings on magnetic tip.

Shaving.jpg

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both Maxwell and Gunter shops closed?
Gunter has been closed for a long time. Maxwell closed about a month ago. What a shame.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old school. Jack and jack stands.
Me too, planning on the same set up, but jacking up using a hydraulic jack, and placing it on Jack Stands is quite challenging since lift points are not that good on this Mustang.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I haven't done mine yet but I did install Jacking rails so I plan on using jack stands then putting my ramps under the front tires for safety. The angle is too steep for the PP front splitter otherwise I would just drive up on them. I've got the supplies and a couple bottles of Ceratec on hand so I'm ready to go.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one of those 3d printed devices used to put under the oil filter to avoid spillage someone was selling in here a couple of years ago
Nice. I use aluminum foil to wrap around the hose and area that could get oil spilage when removing the oil filter.

Thanks for the explanation, great write-up.

I used to change oil & filter every 3,000 miles, but with the hobby shop being closed and DIY being a pain I will probably fall to every 5,000 miles frequency.

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Rhino ramps.
Mines a 2020 so I have to remove the plastic air dam underneath. 7mm bolts.
Bought a big open drain pan with a pouring spout.
Drain oil and remove filter.
Not really much mess to wipe up.
Add new filter, replace plastic thing, add 2 5 quart jugs of oil.
Pour old oil back in jugs. Done.
Not bad at all.
Fancy Pennzoil Platinum I got off eBay. $41 shipped, ended up being from Walmart with 2 free paper shop towel rolls!

20220910_123451.jpg

20220809_200839.jpg

Last edited: