Sponsored

How are people liking 4.09 gears in the MT82?

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Complete speculation but I feel like that error is not due to the neutral sensor, but the fact that 2019+'s have a gear position sensor, and it sounds like their tune just doesn't know what to do with that.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The tech at Lund was pretty sure that it was an unplugged harness but he heard me out and all of my exhausting armchair troubleshooting. Afterwards, he went back and found some other "gear ratio related settings," and sent a new tune....

and....

It works!!! Well, so far, so good. I could only go for a quick spin around the block but the DTCs are gone, all functionality is in tact. :D The DTCs came back on that same circuit this morning so I think I;m out of the woods.

EDIT: Yes, it works. No, it's not perfect.
The gears are awesome, the tune something less than awesome.

My advice:
WAIT FOR FORD's SOLUTION.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
They sent you the wrong file. All he did was raise the max ratio in the tune like I posted screen shots of.

Glad it is working

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The tech at Lund was pretty sure that it was an unplugged harness but he heard me out and all of my exhausting armchair troubleshooting. Afterwards, he went back and found some other "gear ratio related settings," and sent a new tune....

and....

It works!!! Well, so far, so good. I could only go for a quick spin around the block but the DTCs are gone, all functionality is in tact. :D The DTCs came back on that same circuit this morning so I think I;m out of the woods.

I'll post impressions of the gears as soon as I've been able to rip around the backroads for real.

Damn, I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the rev match feature. :)

So it seems like Lund might have just gotten some R&D under their belt today. Much like the experience of actual guinea pigs, it sucks to be the test subject when it's not of your own free will.

Awesome! IM so glad you got this sorted out. Waiting for the report.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Nice!

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They sent you the wrong file. All he did was raise the max ratio in the tune like I posted screen shots of.

Glad it is working
Thanks again for mentioning that. As a matter of fact, in my last message, I asked for them to verify that the tune addressed that max gear ratio value. So there’s a good chance that was indeed the problem

No hard feelings for Lund here. People make mistakes. They responded quickly and never reminded me that I don't know what I'm talking about (which I don't...). Within a few hours, they made it right.

So I do have one substantial drive under my belt now. My afternoon drive across town yesterday had a surprising amount of traffic and one close call with the local PD but I did have a chance to run it through the gears several times and generally play with the power band a bit.

My opinion so far: The 4.09 ring and pinion set works as well as I hoped. In every way that it has changed the car, it has done so for the better. There are no significant drawbacks other than cost/labor and peril to your warranty.

I have about 200 miles on the gears so far, ~180 of them were with screwed up software but still, it looks like my mileage around town has been virtually unchanged. I'll verify that after I have some normal driving under my belt but I am already certain that this didn't suddenly change the car into a gas hog. Being able to use a higher gear at slower speeds is almost certainly where the car is making up for any lost efficiency.

I know the S550 isn't the heaviest modern muscle car but it's no lightweight and when stock, it felt sort of lazy and sluggish when compared to my old 2011 GT. Compared to my ~3100lb V8 Dart, the S550 felt like a battleship on wheels. These gears address that feeling directly. The car feels just like someone threw 500lbs of ballast overboard, at least when accelerating.

The whole reason I love small displacement good breathing V8s is the joy of the higher RPM ranges. The 3.55s and 3.73s with the MT82/D4 ratios are just not ideal for an engine that needs to stretch its legs before giving you what you paid for. I suspect that 4.56s would make even better use of this sweet engine but the 4.09s are a huge leap over the 3.55s.

For me, the ring and pinion swap was more of a fix than an upgrade. It has brought the car one step closer to being the backroads/driver's car/hoon machine that I want in my life every day and it's allowing me to get more out of the wonderful engine I already had. This is may be the best way to own and enjoy a V8/RWD/Manually shifted coupe before the electrics take over and make life just a little bit less fun.

Would I do it again? No. At least not yet and not the way I did it. I would have waited for Ford's official solution to be available and I would have waited for some other 2020 owning sucker to blaze the trail. :D

You guys have that second benefit and supposedly, the 2019-2020 Ford Power Pack will be out next month.

Last edited:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI:
According to the email response that I just receivedFord Performance is now estimating the Procal/Power Pack will be available 11/13.

And it keeps slipping into the future. Why?

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Last edited:

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Wow this has made for some interesting reading. I was thinking of going for the 4.09's, but will have to sit back and think this through.

Wondering if anyone has done this with the FPP tune and how it worked out. I guess if the FPP make this work it become an expensive upgrade of $2,500.00 -3,500.00 dollars.

Last edited:

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've got about 200 miles since I installed the 4.09s and I'm loving them! The car just feels right now!

Last edited:

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow this has made for some interesting reading. I was thinking of going for the 4.09's, but will have to sit back and think this through.

Wondering if anyone has done this with the FPP tune and how it worked out. I guess if the FPP make this work it become an expensive upgrade of $2,500.00 -3,500.00 dollars.
I have the Ford power pack/procal tuner on the way right now...so whenever the CT roads are clear of salt, I’ll be able to share some feedback.

It really does end up being a very expensive mod. A lot of this is due to the complexity of the rear axle/suspension assembly. A lot of this is due to electronic hurdles.

More than anything, it has made me love my simple old Mopar a little more (and I didn’t even think that was possible!)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have the Ford power pack/procal tuner on the way right now...so whenever the CT roads are clear of salt, I’ll be able to share some feedback.

It really does end up being a very expensive mod. A lot of this is due to the complexity of the rear axle/suspension assembly. A lot of this is due to electronic hurdles.

More than anything, it has made me love my simple old Mopar a little more (and I didn’t even think that was possible!)
That's why I haven't done it yet. I cry myself to sleep knowing it's like at least $1500 to do the job, even if you can magically do all the labor yourself. I can drop the diff out myself and put it back, but I ain't touching gearsets. So it's more like $2k minimum.

I don't like the 3.55's, but I console myself with being able to hit redline in 2nd gear blasting onto the highway.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's why I haven't done it yet. I cry myself to sleep knowing it's like at least $1500 to do the job, even if you can magically do all the labor yourself. I can drop the diff out myself and put it back, but I ain't touching gearsets. So it's more like $2k minimum.

I don't like the 3.55's, but I console myself with being able to hit redline in 2nd gear blasting onto the highway.
Im with you on the reluctance to do this work myself. I know what it requires and I have the tools and space to do it. The odds of screwing up the gear mesh were pretty high and I just couldn’t risk incapacitating my main car. The Ford shop ended up screwing up the driveshaft so the car was incapacitated after all but at least they gave me a loaner for months while waiting for the new shaft to come back into stock.

So IMO there’s no shame in making the decision to pay for this one rather than turning the wrenches yourself.

As for the 3.55s...they do have their benefits like the one you mentioned. In fact, you can use the heck out of that 2nd gear at almost any time and have a damn good time doing it. They’re also vastly preferable if you ever plan to go FI.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, o far I only have about 300 miles on mine, waiting for the frigid Alberta weather to smarten up. I feel that the car has much more potential with the 4.09's. Just feel that tightening it up a bit would make a lot of difference. Having to add the Ford Racing Tune would be icing on the cake.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, o far I only have about 300 miles on mine, waiting for the frigid Alberta weather to smarten up. I feel that the car has much more potential with the 4.09's. Just feel that tightening it up a bit would make a lot of difference. Having to add the Ford Racing Tune would be icing on the cake.
Naturally aspirated, I rate my "seat of the pants" dyno and performance upgrades in the following order:

The way you measure this is by comparing to identical cars (except for that one mod), one with the mod and one without and how noticeable it would be driving one car immediately after another.

1) E-85
2) Tune
3) Rear Gears
4) Lighter wheels
5) Headers/exhaust
Sponsored