How are Gen 2 Voodoos holding up?

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
I mean this is the internet. When people have a negative experience they want the world to know so they harp on and on about it. Not discrediting the engine issues. Just saying if the internet and the human condition has taught me one thing its that negatives stick out more than positives. One could assume that carries over to cars as well.
Sponsored

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
Not saying I am having a problem with my Gen 2 replacement. But when I hear varied stories on piston slap I scratch my head. Why some have it, why some don't???
This piston slap isn't anything new with some Ford engines. Some 03-04 cobra engines would also have it on a cold start up, and some wouldn't.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
22 gt500, 20 gt350r, 67 gt500, 66 Backdraft Cobra
I had my 2017 voodoo replaced under warranty for oil consumption. That went away but have cold engine piston slap. Most say don't worry about it.

Curious what the record is on Gen 2's failing.
I'd seen a lot of the issues with the voodoo engine before I bought my 20 gt360r. I haven't had an issue w/ mine but I sent my engine to RPG engineering for a stage 3 rebuild after 10k miles. I only did it because I wanted to put a Whipple supercharger on it, 526hp just wasn't enough for me.
I've been keeping an eye on the issues stock voodoo's have had. Most are minor issues, some had total failures. I'm not a fan of leaving a car totally stock that includes the engine, I've even had the predator engine rebuilt by RPG stage 3 in my 22 gt500.
I know most people aren't able to take the rebuild route but if you can I suggest you should take it. Not because you're going to put power adders on it just for the piece of mind. I know we all love our mustangs but let's be honest they're built to make a profit not longevity.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'd seen a lot of the issues with the voodoo engine before I bought my 20 gt360r. I haven't had an issue w/ mine but I sent my engine to RPG engineering for a stage 3 rebuild after 10k miles. I only did it because I wanted to put a Whipple supercharger on it, 526hp just wasn't enough for me.
I've been keeping an eye on the issues stock voodoo's have had. Most are minor issues, some had total failures. I'm not a fan of leaving a car totally stock that includes the engine, I've even had the predator engine rebuilt by RPG stage 3 in my 22 gt500.
I know most people aren't able to take the rebuild route but if you can I suggest you should take it. Not because you're going to put power adders on it just for the piece of mind. I know we all love our mustangs but let's be honest they're built to make a profit not longevity.
Doesn't longevity equal more profit? They believe in the engines enough to give them a 60k mile warranty from the factory.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 with just over 10k miles. I've been to multiple track days including Road America which is a high HP track stretching 4 miles. No issues so far other than an AC compressor unit. If you follow Honey Badger's thread he talks about how the Voodoo engine is not designed for high intensity track use (ie racing). His just shook apart. This blends in well with the discussion of sustained usage at 8250rpm.
For most guys like me who are driving on the street, country, and an occasional track day and not looking to enter it into the 24hr lemans the engine should hold up well. I bought an extended warranty on the power train stretching it to 8 years just in case. Yes, if it comes down to it and many years in the future if I can't find another voodoo engine I would put a CPC Coyote in it. But dang that voodoo engine and exhaust note is just glorious and nothing compares to it. I'm hoping to keep this for a long time.

Sponsored

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"
My ‘19 is closing in on 9500 miles and is perfect. Lots of track days, lots of cruises, lots of short trips to work. As others have said, letting the engine come up to temp before hard driving is important.

My ‘16 FPRS car came to me on its 3rd engine. The first blew at ~7k and the second a little over ~13k. I got the car at 16.3k miles and I’m pushing 19k now - lots of other issues inherit with a track car but nothing engine related. Good news is all of us with the school cars got Gen2 R code engines.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My ‘19 is closing in on 9500 miles and is perfect. Lots of track days, lots of cruises, lots of short trips to work. As others have said, letting the engine come up to temp before hard driving is important.

My ‘16 FPRS car came to me on its 3rd engine. The first blew at ~7k and the second a little over ~13k. I got the car at 16.3k miles and I’m pushing 19k now - lots of other issues inherit with a track car but nothing engine related. Good news is all of us with the school cars got Gen2 R code engines.
Aren't all Gen 2's R codes?

MotormomKB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kayla
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT 350, 2021 Mustang GT, & 2018 F250
I have a 2018 w/ 22,900 mi on it i have had no issues minus the dealer being sloppy with oil changes... meaning getting oil everywhere because someone clearly didn't expect the oil filter to pour out like it does...

However i do have a question as to if any knows what this is? I just had my oil changed and they literally got oil every where. So when I was crawling/ reaching under my car to try to record how much oil was everywhere i unintentionally got a photo of something that concerned me a little. I can't find any engine maps that would help me explain or even guess what this is. Just to clarify I haven't had any issues that i know of with my car since I had my Flange issue addressed last year.
Any input is appreciate.

tempImageWtsolS.png

IMG_2470.PNG

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 w/ 22,900 mi on it i have had no issues minus the dealer being sloppy with oil changes... meaning getting oil everywhere because someone clearly didn't expect the oil filter to pour out like it does...

However i do have a question as to if any knows what this is? I just had my oil changed and they literally got oil every where. So when I was crawling/ reaching under my car to try to record how much oil was everywhere i unintentionally got a photo of something that concerned me a little. I can't find any engine maps that would help me explain or even guess what this is. Just to clarify I haven't had any issues that i know of with my car since I had my Flange issue addressed last year.
Any input is appreciate.

tempImageWtsolS.png

IMG_2470.PNG

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg
* I'm not an expert *

Can you get your finger on the back of that hole i.e. is it in a web or is the other side covered / internal.

It looks like what should have been a blind hole has slightly broken through, or what should have been a through hole hasn't been drilled quite deep enough - either way, if it's only in a web I wouldn't worry too much.

As there is nothing fitted in the hole, I wonder if it's just used during manufacture for location positioning during another procedure ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
I have a 2019 with just over 10k miles. I've been to multiple track days including Road America which is a high HP track stretching 4 miles. No issues so far other than an AC compressor unit. If you follow Honey Badger's thread he talks about how the Voodoo engine is not designed for high intensity track use (ie racing). His just shook apart. This blends in well with the discussion of sustained usage at 8250rpm.
For most guys like me who are driving on the street, country, and an occasional track day and not looking to enter it into the 24hr lemans the engine should hold up well. I bought an extended warranty on the power train stretching it to 8 years just in case. Yes, if it comes down to it and many years in the future if I can't find another voodoo engine I would put a CPC Coyote in it. But dang that voodoo engine and exhaust note is just glorious and nothing compares to it. I'm hoping to keep this for a long time.
There is a 5.2L Aluminator crate engine I would probably replace mine with if the engine ever went after warranty. I have my warranty until July 2027.

I got to wonder...Does Ford just have a warehouse full of new engines to replace these? What if they run out of engines and cannot cover the ones under warranty?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
There is a 5.2L Aluminator crate engine I would probably replace mine with if the engine ever went after warranty. I have my warranty until July 2027.

I got to wonder...Does Ford just have a warehouse full of new engines to replace these? What if they run out of engines and cannot cover the ones under warranty?
THere being stored right next to the Lost Ark
Raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.jpg

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Not saying I am having a problem with my Gen 2 replacement. But when I hear varied stories on piston slap I scratch my head. Why some have it, why some don't???
The answer to that is machining tolerances in the manufacturing process. FWIW my gen 1 had cold piston slap. When cold, it was significant to where even a non-car person would be like "what's that?". It would still be present at the specified rpm range when hot, but very slight. The rpm window it occurred, and the severity did not seem to change for me.

Edit: the mach 1s 5.0 has some cold piston slap at the same rpm range

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
As to the questions about warranty replacement engines, although I'm no expert in Ford logistics or stats, I would guess that there is a small pile of Voodoo engines sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the standard powertrain warranty period to run it's course - i.e., 5 yrs after the last in-service date. After that, it's possible Ford will retain the leftover engines for extended warranty and/or dealer replacements (out of warranty) or they may decide to sell them off to the aftermarket through the Ford Performance crate engine program.

GM had a bunch of potential warranty replacement engines sitting around due to the C6 Z06 head/valve issue. It's generally thought that they mostly solved the root cause by the 2009/10 model years. As a result, they were looking for something to do with those spare engines once the Z06 warranties began running their course and - surprise - five years or so later they found a home for a bunch of them in the '14/'15 Z28. Fast forward another five years (end of standard powertrain warranty period on those Z28s), and the leftover-leftover LS7 engines were converted to wet sump, given a hotter cam and a few other tweaks, and sold as the LS427/570 (the second number being the HP rating). When the limited supply of those converted LS7s dried up, that crate engine went away.

Here's one of them...... destined for my '73 Z28 project.

Engine Unwrapping Side Rear.jpg

Spring Sun 2022.jpg

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"