How are Gen 2 Voodoos holding up?

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had my 2017 voodoo replaced under warranty for oil consumption. That went away but have cold engine piston slap. Most say don't worry about it.

Curious what the record is on Gen 2's failing.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I had my 2017 voodoo replaced under warranty for oil consumption. That went away but have cold engine piston slap. Most say don't worry about it.

Curious what the record is on Gen 2's failing.
Thereā€™s quite a few threads on this.

The engine in my 2019 dropped a valve in cylinder 5 destroying the engine at 9,500 miles (half or more on track.). Almost all of the gen 2 failures Iā€™ve heard of (not from the forum, but friends/students/fellow HPDEā€™ers) spent a decent amount of time on track. I have yet to see a failure in my circle where the car was tracked at the beginner or intermediate level. There was also a string of dropped valves in engines early on in the 2020MY failing from low hundreds of miles to a few thousand with just regular old street miles.

Iā€™ve been told any time spent above 7,700 rpm is exponentially harder on your engine compared to sub 7,700 rpm due to the resonance frequency the voodoo produces at higher RPM. Iā€™ve heard that fathouse has had such good luck boosting gt350ā€™s in part because they lower the rev limiter through the tuning process. Heavily tracked cars spend significantly more time at redline than your average street car doing a few pulls every now and again. Ask the guys who now own the track attack carsā€¦. I have it on very good authority that EVERY SINGLE ONE of those cars has had at least one new engine in their lifetime, a few of the cars have had 3 engines with relatively low chassis miles.

Overall, I think the vast majority of people experience no issues with their engine. Iā€™m not bashing the car, far from itā€¦. Just conveying my own experience and observations on a car that I love deeply.

Last edited:

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
I bought my 19 gt350 with 11k miles. Currently I'm at just under 15k with all those miles to and from and on the track. Engine? So far so good (knock on wood). Maybe burns a bit of oil after you subtract whats in the catch can. It's so small its hard to calculate.
I did have a major issue. The flywheel came loose, broke apart and grenaded everything in the bell housing. Including the bell housing lol. Ford covered it no questions asked.
Couple things, I only use the Ford oil. I never run it hard untill its over 190Ā°. I dont shut it off hot.(open the hood and let it idle till she cools off).
Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe next track day is the one I lose the engine? I dunno. This car is so analoge and so much fun I'm really glad I got to own one and put it on the track where its supposed to live.
My experience with performance is that as soon as you start messing with the way it left the factory you have issues. Im not talking about gt350 or even Ford here. So take that for what its worth.
Have fun!

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
do we have any reliable data that gen2 is more robust than gen1?

Sponsored

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have 25K on my 2019, bought new, GT350. No oil usage between oil changes and engine is perfect.
Any piston slap (rattling noise 200-2500rpm), when cold?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
2019 (Gen2) with 46,000 miles and ZERO issuesā€¦. VooDoo haters can kiss my lower intestine!

Lower Intestine Disclaimer
Anyone willing to actually entertain the lower intestine offer to perform Osculation with my naughty bits will be strictly forbidden to proceed! Happily married to a Carbon Based life form with Internal Plumbingā€¦!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Had a 16 and now a 20 - no issues with either.

Late 19 and early 20 had the tensioner TSB - for a short time, there were some failures and it seemed to be related.

the 20 has less piston noise than the 16 - but the 16 went away when warmed up. It never surprises me when I hear it on short-skirted-piston engines :0

Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My 2019 is fine. Don't track the car. About 3K miles on it

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I bought my 19 gt350 with 11k miles. Currently I'm at just under 15k with all those miles to and from and on the track. Engine? So far so good (knock on wood). Maybe burns a bit of oil after you subtract whats in the catch can. It's so small its hard to calculate.
I did have a major issue. The flywheel came loose, broke apart and grenaded everything in the bell housing. Including the bell housing lol. Ford covered it no questions asked.
Couple things, I only use the Ford oil. I never run it hard untill its over 190Ā°. I dont shut it off hot.(open the hood and let it idle till she cools off).
Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe next track day is the one I lose the engine? I dunno. This car is so analoge and so much fun I'm really glad I got to own one and put it on the track where its supposed to live.
My experience with performance is that as soon as you start messing with the way it left the factory you have issues. Im not talking about gt350 or even Ford here. So take that for what its worth.
Have fun!
Knock on wood better than knock on metal. (old Chinese proverb)

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The internet says all our Voodoo's are ticking time bombs šŸ˜
I hear they have the internet on computers now. What a time to be alive.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
do we have any reliable data that gen2 is more robust than gen1?
Fat House Fab, who tears the engines apart regularly and is very well versed in the voodoo, have made at least one video detailing the improvements between the gen 1 and gen 2 and they seem to think the gen 2 is more robust. They also feed more boost to the gen 2 engine reliably with the same hardware so Iā€™m guessing they at least think certain parts of the engine are more robust

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Fat House Fab, who tears the engines apart regularly and is very well versed in the voodoo, have made at least one video detailing the improvements between the gen 1 and gen 2 and they seem to think the gen 2 is more robust. They also feed more boost to the gen 2 engine reliably with the same hardware so Iā€™m guessing they at least think certain parts of the engine are more robust

Maybe true (more robust) for forced induction, but not necessarily high RPM. My guess is their customers are likely short shifting the engine, I know I would !
Sponsored