Sponsored

Hot weather windshield "POP"?

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I've had my Mustang for a little over a year and I hear this as the weather gets warmer. When I get into the car on a warm day, 75 degrees and above or a good sunny day when the interior is warm, I start the vehicle and put it in gear. Within a few seconds I will hear a loud POP coming from the dash/windshield area. I can't tell if it's something in the dash or perhaps the windshield flexing(?). Today when I left work it was 90 degrees and the pop was so loud I stopped to look for cracking in the glass. I only hear this when it's warm.
I've been to the dealer but of course they couldn't duplicate the effect. Has anyone else seen or heard this?
Sponsored

Danielfa14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's a common issue. mine does it and my girlfriends Ecoboost does it. My dealer told me it's from the plastic on the dash expanding in the heat.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I get it too. Annoying and makes me think the glass is cracking every time.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Problem is not just the dash being plastic but the clips that holds every piece together is also plastic. When you turn the AC On in an already warm car, you will hear ton of creaking and pops. They should never use thermal sensitive plastic especially for the dash and vents.

Sponsored

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
Huh.

That's apparently the one issue my Mustang *doesn't* have, even in 120-degree Phoenix heat.
You may be the only one. The relatively mild 100-102° Texas heat has created a symphony of gut-wrenching sounds in my car.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Thankfully my car does not have any of these noises you guys are describing. South Florida is pretty friggin hot for 4 months out of the year and warm the other 8 months of the year. The pop must be maddening for you guys.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Maybe it's just so hot in Phoenix it stays expanded haha.
I am in Phoenix, can confirm that when the A/C is turned on that a series of loud pops and cracks occur.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Some people say they don't have it but i m 100% sure its there maybe they never paid attention or can not hear due to the exhaust, engine or the stereo system.

Plastic pieces expands and shrinks due to temperature differencials and this is totally normal but some luxury brand cars and import cars use foamy soft touch materials and padded interior trim pieces. Even the material tries to expand or shrink the padds apply enough pressure on them to reduce squeeks, pops and rattles.

5.0onBoard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black GTPPP
It happens to me in Phoenix every time. Also it gets so hot that my stereo will be shut off for a while and then reboots after about 2 minutes of ac.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
You may be the only one. The relatively mild 100-102° Texas heat has created a symphony of gut-wrenching sounds in my car.
You'd think I'd hear it over my SYNC forgetting what it is supposed to do and just stopping media playback until I pull the fuses, but then again, maybe the rattles from the C-pillars and the squeaks from my seat drown it out!

All these things are, according to Chapman Ford, "normal."

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Normally I open my windows 30 minutes before leaving work to let it cool down a bit but just got my windows tinted so have been leaving them closed and using the A/C. I never had this before until I started using the A/C and not letting the car air out before getting into it. But it's exactly as you described, a loud popping noise or four, it's just the plastic expanding/contracting and probably popping in and out of a clip. Nothing wrong, sort of scary at first, but it might help if you opened the windows for a bit before driving.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You sure it's not just the plastic changing color when you turn the AC on?
Sponsored