t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Hey guys,

Looking to see if anyone has the issue I'm experiencing or any input as to what it is.

I'll try to keep this short...

Cold starts seem to be completely fine, the car cranks for 1-2 seconds then fires right up. When I start it when it's warm, the best way to explain it is as soon as I put the start button, the car instantly fires up but stumbles a bit to find RPMs. This issue has happened recently ( wasn't an issue when I originally installed the ProCharger). Aside from the car barely cranking when turning it on, it also almost sounds like the starter skips teeth on the flywheel, if that makes any sense ( I have a stock clutch). I've tried to data log this with my tuner, thinking it might be tune related but it's intermittent. Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks,
Sponsored

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Where's your maf sensor? In the intercooler?

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Where's your maf sensor? In the intercooler?
Yup, the intercooler. I know Procharger has made some changes where the MAF is located and that was my initial thought but if that's the case, I couldn't find any posts about that being the actual cause. I should note that this didn't start happening until about 2 months and the PC has been on the car for about 6 months.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the exact same issue on my mine. It doesn't happen every time, but the best time to duplicate would be running into the gas station for 2-3 minutes and starting the car again warm. You can't hear the exhaust, or can barely even hear the car start other than the Procharger whistle. It stumbles to about 400 rpms and then ramps up. I was told it could be due to the lack of a check valve on the fuel pump boost, but there is no telling. If you find out anything let me know, as I have been letting this ride for months.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I have had the exact same issue on my mine. It doesn't happen every time, but the best time to duplicate would be running into the gas station for 2-3 minutes and starting the car again warm. You can't hear the exhaust, or can barely even hear the car start other than the Procharger whistle. It stumbles to about 400 rpms and then ramps up. I was told it could be due to the lack of a check valve on the fuel pump boost, but there is no telling. If you find out anything let me know, as I have been letting this ride for months.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've seen other issues during hot starts where the car will crank for 3-5 seconds before it actually starts and my issue is the complete opposite. I think I'm going to just start a log every time before I start the car until I can catch it and hopefully send it off to my tuner.

Who told you it was a lack of check valve on the BAP? The only reason I'm asking is I had this issued before I installed my BAP. When I originally installed the kit, I didn't have a BAP but when i pullied down I put one on there. Again, this hot start issue was before I had a BAP.

Sponsored

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've seen other issues during hot starts where the car will crank for 3-5 seconds before it actually starts and my issue is the complete opposite. I think I'm going to just start a log every time before I start the car until I can catch it and hopefully send it off to my tuner.

Who told you it was a lack of check valve on the BAP? The only reason I'm asking is I had this issued before I installed my BAP. When I originally installed the kit, I didn't have a BAP but when i pullied down I put one on there. Again, this hot start issue was before I had a BAP.
It was someone from this forum on another post where I was asking a similar question. Mine cranks as soon as I press the button, but you literally can not even tell I cranked the car (no exhaust noise, no Vroom at start, and a lot of times I give it a little throttle because the rpms seem like they are going to go so low that the car stalls. I have the 10 speed auto if that helps. I also was able to log this and sent it to Lund. They of course said that everything else driving wise looks good and that it is not hurting anything, so I am trying to just get over it.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
It was someone from this forum on another post where I was asking a similar question. Mine cranks as soon as I press the button, but you literally can not even tell I cranked the car (no exhaust noise, no Vroom at start, and a lot of times I give it a little throttle because the rpms seem like they are going to go so low that the car stalls. I have the 10 speed auto if that helps. I also was able to log this and sent it to Lund. They of course said that everything else driving wise looks good and that it is not hurting anything, so I am trying to just get over it.
Yeah I get that it might not hurt anything, but I agree it's annoying as hell and it just shouldn't do that.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine has done it for a few years now. First it did it on the PC tune, then a local guy tunes it and it still did it, now on PBD tune and it remains there. Only shows up in the warmer months and only after sitting off for a while with a hot engine. Almost like vapor lock. It’s different in that sometimes it’s sounds like a muffled start sound.

Sponsored
OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Mine has done it for a few years now. First it did it on the PC tune, then a local guy tunes it and it still did it, now on PBD tune and it remains there. Only shows up in the warmer months and only after sitting off for a while with a hot engine. Almost like vapor lock. It’s different in that sometimes it’s sounds like a muffled start sound.
Did you log it for PBD?

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
im not pro charged but if i park my car in the garage after the ride home from work and put the door down .. then go back out say a hr later and start it... it has a long start then has a lower idle not a stumble just low then finds its way to normal in like 10 or 15 sec.. happens on really warm days as well not all the time but it happens from time to time ... im roush stage 1

colder months it never does it like sept, oct or april early may ...
i just think its the maf not being able to adjust for that dense thick warm air at first ... and ive cleaned my tb, maf and elbow inlet .. still happens from time to time

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
Same thing with mine, I assume its due to the high heat of the pro charger/engine bay thats giving us problems. Wonder if some heat shielding/heat wrap would do the trick.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
It amazes me that something (so frustrating) cannot be fixed. I'm going to continue to see if my tuner has any input to help
Sponsored