Sponsored

Horrible to see this

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Some of us who learned to drive in the 60's and 70's had to take driver's education courses during hi school. In those classes, we watched videos of car wrecks. One movie title was Signal 30, I think. Gory and sobering stuff was shown, as is these pictures and video. To this day, a friend of mine uses the term Signal 30 to describe in brief, a fatal accident. I wonder if the driver was a member of this website. RIP.
All those videos are on YouTube if anyone want's to soberize themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Signal+30
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
seems like trucks should have more safety requirements/ safety bars to prevent this type of accident where cars go under the side or rear of semi's

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
seems like trucks should have more safety requirements/ safety bars to prevent this type of accident where cars go under the side or rear of semi's
People have been trying for decades with regulations to improve the crash bars on semi trailer trucks to prevent accidents like this. Also, they would like to see side crash bars too, but the rear crash bar is the main one that needs to be improved.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm generally an anti regulation person but I would support having cell phones not work if moving faster than say 5 mph.
NO, but I would support screens not working. The dangers are from looking at the screen and interacting with it. Phones do more than call and text. But even "texting" can be safer than talking to a passenger or someone over blue-tooth phone.

Since I started with the best smart phone platform (Windows - R.I.P.), I didn't understand why people railed against texting while driving. I had no idea that iPhones and Android phones could not do hands free texting using your car's speakers and microphone while in your pocket, briefcase or even the trunk.

If a text came in, my paired phone would mute anything playing and announce thru the car's speaker who texted me and ask if I wanted it read to me (over the car's speakers). If I listened, it would ask if I wanted to respond and if I said yes, prompt me to dictate. Then it would ask if I wanted it sent, read back, redictated, canceled, etc..

If I wanted to text someone, I touched the car's microphone button on the wheel and said call Cortana. Naturally the phone would know I really wasn't calling Cortana but tell the car the call went thru. Cortana would prompt for any phone command, and I'd say text xxxx, you can figure out the rest. Anyone could do that with the cheapest Windows phone and most basic car bluetooth as far back as 2013.

You can say it's still a distraction but anyone who does better never have a passenger that might speak and never call someone over bluetooth. Both of those are more dangerous than hands free texting.

Example:

If I get a hand free text asking if what she wore last night made her look fat, I yawn, take my time and maybe answer now, maybe not. If my passenger asks me the same thing I can't take even a second to answer because having to think is impolite and hints at formulating a white lie. At the same time, I have to keep from sweating or the pitch of my voice rising. I might not even notice the out of control cement truck bearing down on me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Fine, turn off the screen. I'm tired of having to avoid asshats who are staring at a screen instead of watching what side of the road they are on. Also having to honk a horn at every stop light to get them moving, I do realize that would continue and might get worse. At least they are stopped.

Trying to read a screen is a lot more distracting than talking with a passenger.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Fine, turn off the screen. I'm tired of having to avoid asshats who are staring at a screen instead of watching what side of the road they are on. Also having to honk a horn at every stop light to get them moving, I do realize that would continue and might get worse. At least they are stopped.

Trying to read a screen is a lot more distracting than talking with a passenger.
True, but as I described, you don't need to look at a screen to text. Talking to a passenger is MORE distracting than hands free texting.

To eliminate manual texting, just kill the screen. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater like disabling the phone would do.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
To eliminate manual texting, just kill the screen. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater like disabling the phone would do.
Whatever It takes. Police don't enforce anti texting laws and no one obeys them. The last 3 times I rode my motorcycle I felt like I was a pinball.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Personally I would not like my phone shut off while moving, but for the first 20 some years of driving cell phones did not exist. We managed just fine.

I would give up my phone for safer highways.

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Siri eyes free has been doing hands free texting for many years. I think checking for likes and posting is the real problem. Social media addiction is quite real and those on the phone driving are as impaired as any drunk.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Some of us who learned to drive in the 60's and 70's had to take driver's education courses during hi school. In those classes, we watched videos of car wrecks. One movie title was Signal 30, I think. Gory and sobering stuff was shown, as is these pictures and video. To this day, a friend of mine uses the term Signal 30 to describe in brief, a fatal accident. I wonder if the driver was a member of this website. RIP.
I had to watch those in the late 90's.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
And now we all have 0 feedback tablets on our dash instead of knobs and buttons we can feel for and NOT have to take our eyes off the road to use.
Yea, the touch screen dashes are almost as bad as the phone.
Sponsored