Sponsored

Horrible buzzing sound at high rpms - never heard this before

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & Audi A5 SB (RIP 2020 Explorer)
Had my car at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and started to notice a loud metallic buzzing sound from under the gear shift/transmission tunnel. Only heard it accelerating above 7000 rpms that day, but now I am now hearing at lower rpms (5000+). I am also hearing it when car is decelerating/coasting down from highway speeds. I don’t hear the sound when car is not moving, only in gear and on the road.

Car is a 2017 with 14k miles - I have never heard this sound previously.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Had my car at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and started to notice a loud metallic buzzing sound from under the gear shift/transmission tunnel. Only heard it accelerating above 7000 rpms that day, but now I am now hearing at lower rpms (5000+). I am also hearing it when car is decelerating/coasting down from highway speeds. I don’t hear the sound when car is not moving, only in gear and on the road.

Is the sound speed dependent (does it get louder/quieter with varying speed?)

If you’re rolling down the road and you put the transmission in neutral, do you still hear the noise while coasting?

Teej1911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350/'06 WRX Wagon/'09 Mini/'18 WRX

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Check out this thread. It may shed light on your question. I have it too from time to time on my car. It doesn't bother me like it does some others. It's a high strung engine. Harmonics are going to do weird things!

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I had a similar thing happen a few days ago. I was keeping it in lower gears(3rd, 4th)on the highway, and had the rpms around 6k. Exhaust notes were intense! It only happened briefly. But it was a hot day. Transmission temps were 150-175F. Once the transmission cooled down a little, it no longer made the noise, even at higher rpms. Its just the nature of the beast. High rpms, hot temps, and a roaring exhaust is going to cause a lot of vibrations somewhere.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Check out this thread. It may shed light on your question. I have it too from time to time on my car. It doesn't bother me like it does some others. It's a high strung engine. Harmonics are going to do weird things!
There is also this thread too, which has similar info regarding the trans/engine spacer plate annoyance:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

Sponsored

OP
OP
G8rbcn

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Is the sound speed dependent (does it get louder/quieter with varying speed?)

If you’re rolling down the road and you put the transmission in neutral, do you still hear the noise while coasting?
The sound about the same no matter the speed. It does not occur when car is in neutral, only when in gear.

Snoogens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Throwing it out there because it's an easy check..had what might have been a similar sound, definitely similar to your post in regards to only hearing it above a certain RPM range but check your instrument panel trim around your speedometer, etc ..

I noticed mine has rattled in the past above certain RPMs and it sounded like a metal material. Turned out I was just the "plastic" trim.

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
So I had this exact same issue on my 2018 base GT350 and when I took it to the dealer to get looked at I thought it was possibly something failing in the gearbox. The technician took off the shifter cover and got down in there and it just turned out to be some loose stuff down and he tightened everything up and it was fine after that. Its likely nothing more than that.... I would just take it in to a qualified dealer to have them look at it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If it is the trans sandwich plate, I used a dampening material to minimize it. It didn't make sense to me to drop the trans for a buzz that had no mechanical significance. There was another member here, i believe @DCShelby , who had this issue and they replaced the plate with a new updated part.

I used dynamat and I had acceptable results.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If it is the trans sandwich plate, I used a dampening material to minimize it. It didn't make sense to me to drop the trans for a buzz that had no mechanical significance. There was another member here, i believe @DCShelby , who had this issue and they replaced the plate with a new updated part.

I used dynamat and I had acceptable results.
Same here. It didn't eliminate it 100%, but it did help.

Sponsored
OP
OP
G8rbcn

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the ideas and links. Been out of town, so hope to check out a few things over the long weekend.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
To mention the possibility of a universal joint starting to wear. Would be unlikely with such low miles. Your symptoms are similar to the "U" joint. Any vibrations?

OP
OP
G8rbcn

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Happy to report that the Shelby is fixed! One of the bolts where the shifter attaches to the transmission was loose. Luckily nothing major. Yes, made sure Loctite went back on this time!

P85596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I had a buzzing sound and they replaced the a/c unit and problem solved. Go figure.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I had a buzzing sound and they replaced the a/c unit and problem solved. Go figure.
Most likely it was the blower ....
Sponsored