Sponsored

Horesepower needed to beat a bike

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Back in 1988 I had a Yamaha FZR 1000. I think you have to have ridden these crotch rockets to get the perspective. When you twisted the throttle, your gut would drop like being on a roller coaster and you hit go to jail speeds before you could say wtf!!!

All I can say is, that old bike was a 130HP 475lb bike and today's bikes blow that away. I have a hard time seeing any version of 4000 lb Mustang keeping up from 0-100 with today's super bikes.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I dont think so.

It's biased towards the bike.

Put an averarage or above average rider on a bike, then put similar skilled driver in a car and the margins come down immediately.
Put a 'regular' rider on the bike and the Mustang will be ahead.
This is not biased towards the bike. It is pretty blatantly biased towards the car unless you misspoke.

Like i said..i am much faster on my bike than my mustang.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
How is it not??

I gave you an example of a PRO rider on one of the fastest motorcycle platforms in the world comparing against a forum member driving a Mustang?
On a track with a LOT of straights?

Here is another comparison, this is superbikes from a couple of years ago.

And, FWIW, I have done extensive track time on both - cars and bikes.

So, how much horsepower does it take to keep up with a bike on track?

NOT VERY MUCH!

This is not biased towards the bike. It is pretty blatantly biased towards the car unless you misspoke.

Like i said..i am much faster on my bike than my mustang.

Attachments

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have a SERIOUS case of lust for the Ducati Streetfighter V4 (I miss my old M900 so much), but it's been well over a decade since I've had a sportbike and I might die....

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
a 1000 with any crappy rider, will beat the fastest car with a good driver. you need a very expensive and very fast car to even try and compare.

I have lived the life of fast motorcycles and cars, I don't race them against each other because it simply imo isn't comparable.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Huh? I see a lot more roll races on the street than 0-60 races. Any car capable of being even close in a 0-60 isnt going to have traction on the street so yeah its a silly metric lol
How well does it do that on the street? Most street races are rolls

Anyways as mentioned..useless metric aside..0-60isnt even where the bikes shine and cars still dont really keep up
Interesting. I'm 52 (driving since I was 13) and I've never, ever even one time seen a roll race in person.

I see "races" starting at zero up to the speed limit (or 5, 10 mph or so over) every day. I even have taken part in some.

Who wins this contest of statements on the internet?

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
I used to have a 2010 Nissan GT-R--Full bolt on--565 wheel HP--AWD--0-60 in 2.7 sec--1/4 mile 10.56 @ 130 MPH. My brother-in-law (a LEO) used it to race sport bikes on Sunday mornings on a sparsely used highway. He routinely beat 600 and 750 cc bikes but lost to the 1000 cc bikes. Another 50-75 WHP and it would have been a close race. The Stang being a rear wheel drive would likely be at a significant disadvantage. Get ready to have your ego bruised.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Is it an argument from a roll, or a dig?

:crazy:

I see "races" starting at zero up to the speed limit (or 5, 10 mph or so over) every day. I even have taken part in some.
Yeah, you know I used to be kind of "anti" the 0-60 metric, but that's where most casual "races" occur in my (and your) experience. Something about a "roll race", the whole honking and just standing on the gas makes me chuckle ...

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Interesting. I'm 52 (driving since I was 13) and I've never, ever even one time seen a roll race in person.

Yeah, you know I used to be kind of "anti" the 0-60 metric, but that's where most casual "races" occur in my (and your) experience. Something about a "roll race", the whole honking and just standing on the gas makes me chuckle ...
I never said i agree with roll races, (or any street race) but ive seen many of them on the streets.

If you haven't seen any roll races on the streets, then idk what to say. There could be many reasons for that.

At the very least, it seems there are more roll race street videos than there are street 0-60 videos. Not an accurate metric at all though.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

I love to listen to the roll racers talk about how much skill it takes.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I love to listen to the roll racers talk about how much skill it makes.
Some people really think it takes a ton of skill. Lol

Although, on a daily basis i see idiot drivers on the road that i have no idea how they even have a license...so i suppose it depends who they are comparing themselves to šŸ˜‚

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had a ton of high hp bikes, and let me tell you. Iā€™ve never launched hardcore off the line, I always rolled when I play.

let my friend play on my damn fully tracked out fully tuned all decked repsol.

I was on my gsxr1000 and he on my repsol1000.
He fricke flipped it at 30-40mph.

we hurried and threw the motorcycle behind bushes and jetted the scene. He was riding on the back of my bike covered in blood, soaking through everything. Man.

Came back when it was dark and retrieved it and turned it into a stunter. Lost easily 6,000 dollars in that stint.

I roll into throttle or if I am wot with notraction stabilizer I will be light or have a gear higher to reduce the torque. I weigh 150lbs so Iā€™ve always been able to loft the front wheels up on wot.

but he was healthy in the end. Iā€™ve never let someone ride one of my motorcycles ever again.

I sold my gsxr1000 and gsxr 750 after that and went to a gsxs1000, I actually quit being stupid.I donā€™t even do wheelies anymore, it was scary as hell seeing a friend get hurt in front of my eyes. When I took him to hospital I got in a lot of heat from the hospital because we had no story to what happened and crap.

also the fear of what would of happened had LEO got to us before we skirted the scene.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
also the fear of what would of happened had LEO got to us before we skirted the scene.
I definitely appreciated the speeding ticket I got from the Bartlesville OK police who cited me for 80mph (was doing 128) the day after my accident as I lay in the recovery room. They claimed they could tell from the scrapes in the US75 concrete from my engine bars and melted plastic saddle bag cover. The damage was so minor it was amazing really. Forks were tweaked but everything else was good. A quarter-sized scrape on the gas tank and scratched up levers and bar-end weights. Triumph 885 Trident.
Sponsored

Last edited: