Sponsored

Hope just worried for nothing (G2 caliper paint)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm between coats of custom Velocity Blue G2 caliper paint.

The color is fantastic. Based on their literature I didn't expect much if any pearl effect just a color match, but it is beautiful.

BUT, when I added the catalyst, it does not appear to blend with the paint. Its very dark (black or blue) and no matter how much I stirred, it still had black streaks swirls. So I closed the can back up and shook it for a LONG time. No change (other than to make a lot of bubbles)..

My first time with G2, so hope this is normal and will look right after final coat. I can't tell from the first coat because it is so light, you still see the metal thru it.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not going to comment on the black streaks/mixing, but my first two coats were pretty clear but it was definitely all the way red after the 3rd and 4th coats.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm pissed. About to do the 3rd coat and it is blue zebra after two. Blue paint with thin black stripes in the direction of the brush strokes.

It's definitely a problem with the catalyst. I shook the can up like crazy before opening it and the paint looked just like my stripes and mirrors. Added the catalyst which is a black or dark blue and it would not thoroughly mix with the paint. After a LOT of stirring it was black swirls. After resealing and shaking for 5 minutes it was splotchy. When stirred again, the splotches turned back into streaks. %#&*

So aside from looking bad, I'm guessing the paint might not even cure right.

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
what's the dates on the catalyst? I think they mention it has a limited shelf life. Maybe G2 will replace the kit?

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
what's the dates on the catalyst? I think they mention it has a limited shelf life. Maybe G2 will replace the kit?
G2 didn't have any dates on the paint or the catalyst. Instead they have months and years printed on the box that they theoretically circle one each indicating the date of the kit. I say theoretically because none are circled/marked on my box. Wasn't a concern to me since they didn't offer this color until my order and it took a while to add it to their options because they piggyback the code confirmation off another company. i.e. that company must have the paint code in their inventory. So I had to get that company to add Velocity Blue before G2 could offer it. LoL

Anyway, my order is dated Sept 13, 2018 and it takes G2 some time to make custom color kits. So the paint itself can't be older than late Sept or early Oct. Who knows how old the catalyst might have been.

I can't see the streaks being anything but old/bad catalyst OR something wrong with the paint. I guess the later could be true since this was the first (only?) Velocity Blue kit they have sold. It's not environmental because the kit sat in my air conditioned office since it arrived. If G2 was shipping kits with bad catalyst, I would expect someone else might chime in.

Below is a picture of the paint left in the can after the final coat. I stirred it vigorously one last time right before taking the picture. As I said, the paint was shaken vigorously before opening, then the catalyst was added and stirred until my wrist gave up. LoL Then I resealed the can and shook it until tired before painting the first coat. Afterwards, I stirred vigorously before each coat. And even after all that, the catalyst still hasn't mixed with the paint. The color is perfect, even the pearl. It's a shame it wouldn't mix.

WP_20190508_11_38_46_Rich paint swirls cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not getting good vibes from G2 customer service. I emailed them explaining the catalyst did not mix at all with the paint. That looks bad on the parts and seems obvious to me that the paint would not be durable if the paint was not mixed with the catalyst.

They emailed back asking for pictures of the painted parts to "help them research the problem". I didn't understand how pictures of the parts would help them figure out why catalyst would not mix but sent them the pics. In case it helped, I mentioned that the paint was still tacky over 4 hours AFTER painting.

Big mistake as that comment became a distraction and their only response was everything is fine because it can take 6 hours to cure. Of course in this case it was still tacky going on 8 hours (and who knows how much after that) since the painting took almost 3 hours for all four calipers (and rear bracket) with 4 coats in front and two in back and the wait time between coats. I could care less how long it takes to cure.

I guess talking to customer service is like testifying in court: Never say anything beyond the minimum required to answer a question, in this case the question was: can we have pictures of the painted parts? LoL The pictures they totally ignored.

So, I started all over again, explaining the problem as the catalyst not mixing with the paint..

Hope I'm wrong but I'm sensing a run-around.

Anyone else ever have ANY bad product from G2? And how was it resolved?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear about how that's turning out. Stinks to put work into something like that and it not turn out right. For what it's worth, I did the basic black G2 on my car, and the Race Red on my wife's EcoBoost, and didn't have any trouble with either. Mine has been on my car for a few years now and still looks like new - no chips or anything. Granted, I only have 22,XXX miles after four years so it's not seeing a lot of road time. I don't recall anyone having issues when I was researching this initially. Hoping they take care of you on this deal...

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
that's common in pearl and metal flake paints , every paint i mix looks like that till i reduce it ,, its prob cause the catalyst is thickening it to much, cant seperate the pearl or flake correctly

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
that's common in pearl and metal flake paints , every paint i mix looks like that till i reduce it ,, its prob cause the catalyst is thickening it to much, cant seperate the pearl or flake correctly
That might make sense to me if I added the catalyst before stirring. The dark swirls isn't the pearl; its the catalyst. I shook the can before opening it and it was completely uniform. Then I added the catalyst which did not seem to mix at all no matter how much stirring or shaking.

G2 hasn't got back to me since Thursday. Need to call tomorrow. I tried email first for the pictures.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Can you post some pictures of the calipers, so we can see what they look like?

JR

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can you post some pictures of the calipers, so we can see what they look like?
Sure. But pics of the calipers don't show the separation very well since the streaks of unmixed catalyst are just a bristle or two wide. I am worried more about the durability than the look but the streaks do not look good in person. Appearance wise, the backs which are just rough casting look okay. But the whole point of using caliper paint instead of regular paint (or powder coating) is the durability and heat tolerance. That can't exist if the catalyst did not mix at all with the paint.
WP_20190509_13_09_11_Rich forum.jpg
View attachment 364173
WP_20190509_12_59_04_Rich forum.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm probably not seeing in the pics what you are in person but they have a really good looking blue brushed aluminum look to me. From the pictures I'd think they would look great on your car.

munizfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Dude, I'm sorry but...
I think it looks freaking amazing, how it turned out. As Schwerin mentioned, it does indeed look like blue brushed aluminum, and I love it!

Did it ever end up hardening correctly?

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
That looks great man. I'm going to try and tackle this on my car when I order my rear brakes.
Sponsored