Hood vents don't match. Is this normal?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I was looking at the hood vents today. Checking them to see how they attach because I will be removing them to get PPF on the hood. I noticed the drivers side looked different than the passenger side. Some of the drivers side holes are plugged with plastic like it wasn't molded properly.

Passenger side. Looks good.
20190602_121909.jpg

Drivers side. Not so good.
20190602_130416.jpg

The honeycombs in the front left corner are closed.

Are they all like this? I would like to know before I take it in to the dealer. It's not a huge deal but it does look odd depending on how the light hits it.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Looks like simply excess plastic from the casting that needs to be removed. They do not at all look different and certainly not worth a service call. You may get some giggles if you took it in for that.

When you take them off I’d imagine the plastic excess will be paper thin and likely come off easily with a sharp blade.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Looks like simply excess plastic from the casting that needs to be removed. They do not at all look different and certainly not worth a service call. You may get some giggles if you took it in for that.

When you take them off I’d imagine the plastic excess will be paper thin and likely come off easily with a sharp blade.
I thought it was mold flash as well but I tried pressing a flatblade srewdriver into them and the flashing wasn't going to budge. I will see if I can clear them out from the back side when I take the vents off the car. Thank you for confirming it's not normally formed like this.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I thought it was mold flash as well but I tried pressing a flatblade srewdriver into them and the flashing wasn't going to budge. I will see if I can clear them out from the back side when I take the vents off the car. Thank you for confirming it's not normally formed like this.
Thanks - I just checked mine and all are open so it is definitely flash. Good luck.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
I didn’t know that they are functional? Mine look blocked too. No heat coming out for sure.

Sponsored

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
Mine are open..

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I didn’t know that they are functional? Mine look blocked too. No heat coming out for sure.
The car has to be moving forward for air to flow through. The opening is small and the air passes through a baffle. Their effectiveness is questionable. I have to trust that the added complexity of the design must actually provide some benefit. Otherwise Ford could have just made them as stick-on trim accents.
Lift up your hood and you'll see the hood liner actually has a cutout for the air to pass through.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
They're probably not for venting heat. If they needed more airflow for cooling they would open up the grille a little more. Most of the grille is closed off.

When Ford started with this large grille design in '05 there was a big problem with the hoods "fluttering" due to all the air going in the grille and not having anywhere to go. The vents are simply to lower the air pressure under the hood.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'll have a look at mine tonight I just assumed they were only cosmetic in this day and age of fake cooling vents all over cars. I'm looking at you new Supra!

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I'll have a look at mine tonight I just assumed they were only cosmetic in this day and age of fake cooling vents all over cars. I'm looking at you new Supra!
When you lift up the hood, you can see the sky though the holes, a sort of giveaway :cwl::cwl:

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Geez I've only opened the hood twice so far LOL. I'll open it a 3rd time and actually pay attention for a change :)
How is that I open my hood all the time to show off that V8 to friends and family you know.

ckaiser522

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
They're probably not for venting heat. If they needed more airflow for cooling they would open up the grille a little more. Most of the grille is closed off.

When Ford started with this large grille design in '05 there was a big problem with the hoods "fluttering" due to all the air going in the grille and not having anywhere to go. The vents are simply to lower the air pressure under the hood.
They are literally referred to as "Heat Extractors" by Ford if you order a new one (I broke one, long story ultimately ending in I am a dummy) . Seems like a strange moniker if that was not the attempt in design. If it were an underhood air pressure issue (it helps with this no doubt) why do the 15-17 Eco boost and V6 models not have them? Does the 5.0 run a bit hotter than the 2.3/3.7?

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
They are literally referred to as "Heat Extractors" by Ford if you order a new one (I broke one, long story ultimately ending in I am a dummy) . Seems like a strange moniker if that was not the attempt in design. If it were an underhood air pressure issue (it helps with this no doubt) why do the 15-17 Eco boost and V6 models not have them? Does the 5.0 run a bit hotter than the 2.3/3.7?
Good point. Blows my theory out of the water. Maybe it's because they don't go as fast, lol.
Sponsored