Hood Struts and Uneven Hood

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I just installed Redlines on my Mach, no issues. Weird.
Sponsored

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
I just installed Redlines on my Mach, no issues. Weird.
Very weird. No idea what’s causing this for some but it’s exact same across those it’s affecting. Hood on drivers side just slightly lower then the fender.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Very weird. No idea what’s causing this for some but it’s exact same across those it’s affecting. Hood on drivers side just slightly lower then the fender.
I mean is it bending the hood or something??? Just trying to think about how that's even possible.

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
I mean is it bending the hood or something??? Just trying to think about how that's even possible.
Just seems to be pulling it down slightly more as you go towards windshield then front. Not bending really. As OP said if you take the strut off it goes back to matching up with fender. I just thought it was part of that normal little off mustang fitment you always have a bit of. But then saw this post

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
8 years and still panel gap issues...

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I have used redline on at least 4 s550's and never had an issue like that. The only problem I had was getting the alignment for the washer. I wonder if there is something off with the redline bracket.

I found this from redline in another thread from 2016.
For those with issues with our version 2 hood brackets the information below will explain what people are seeing.

First, we designed the entire system (patent-pending) based on vehicle scan data - it is 100% perfect fit. However, due to Ford assembly line build variations with the hood and hinge, there can be slight misalignment with our hood bracket. The misalignment stems from hood being attached slightly further up on the hinge at the factory. When this is done, our bracket rotates around the top hinge bolt and rests on the hood's hinge (see our manual) putting our bracket at a slight angle. This also affects the pass-thru washer hose attachment at the top of bracket.

There is a simple solution to solve this... First, loosen the lower hinge nut just slightly. Then rotate the bracket up into place so the washer hose retention clip hole in the hood aligns with the hole in our hood bracket - this will move the hood a very small amount and you can then snap in the washer hose attachment where required. Then tighten both nuts back up.
For those with issues with our version 2 hood brackets the information below will explain what people are seeing.

First, we designed the entire system (patent-pending) based on vehicle scan data - it is 100% perfect fit. However, due to Ford assembly line build variations with the hood and hinge, there can be slight misalignment with our hood bracket. The misalignment stems from hood being attached slightly further up on the hinge at the factory. When this is done, our bracket rotates around the top hinge bolt and rests on the hood's hinge (see our manual) putting our bracket at a slight angle. This also affects the pass-thru washer hose attachment at the top of bracket.

There is a simple solution to solve this... First, loosen the lower hinge nut just slightly. Then rotate the bracket up into place so the washer hose retention clip hole in the hood aligns with the hole in our hood bracket - this will move the hood a very small amount and you can then snap in the washer hose attachment where required. Then tighten both nuts back up.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Here is the response I got from the owner:

"Sorry for the issues. First, the stock fender hood relationship traveling from the windshield forward is a very strange. Ford has the fender lip sitting up higher than the hood line, something I had never seen before until the latest generation Mustang came out, this makes any alignment issue pronounced.

Since both sides of the vehicle require the same parts, installed mirrored to the other, the only variable left is vehicle build and alignment. We are utilizing fixed mounting locations without variability in how they mount – there is very very little space in the gap for the strut and mounting hardware. Our system is the only one out there that will fit this gap perfectly, and that is only if the vehicle build is decent and symmetrical. If anything is off 5mm in hood alignment and/or the welds that build up the front end, this gap is either a bit larger or smaller on one side. The only solution is to bias the bump stop slightly upward on the driver’s side to try and mimic the passenger side. My guess is that the strut’s end-fitting is slightly touching the hood skin in closed position on one side due to the issues described above. This just means that at contact the hood cannot drop down to the extremely low position below the fender line. The hood is very long and needs to be perfect for those complex lines to line up. I’m guessing that if looked at very closely, it slightly biased to one side, the hinge assembly is 1-2mm forward on one side, or a combination of very small things that add up over that distance.

From the photos I cannot tell much, not your fault just hard to determine. So, if the very front edge is the area that is most bothersome, then lower one stop and raise the other to bias it back to something that is better aligned. Unfortunately I cannot give advice on how to mount the product differently because we are literally using the only spot available and the strut is traveling the only path left. But, that is what I have done to my Mustang back when I had it. Let me know how it goes."

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I guess you could see if you add something to the strut end fitting like blue chalk or something to see if it is coming in contact with the hood.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had similar issues with mine, adjusting the stops helped a bit but never got it to sit great

However the brackets kept turning as well and caused the paint to chip :/, removed them and used some touch up paint and didn’t bother with after that

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I guess you could see if you add something to the strut end fitting like blue chalk or something to see if it is coming in contact with the hood.
Modeling clay or play dough as well…similar when checking valve clearance.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
This really puzzles me as I remember my bullitt hood sat below the fenders quite a bit but never had issues except for the washer bracket .

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the Ford Performance struts for 2 years, no issue other than the 'crooked' alignment of the lower mount. Drove me crazy at first, but now I don't see it.
Me too. They look like they belong and the pass side is the only one that went a bit crooked on mine and it's covered.

Sure beats the prop rod.

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Ford Performance struts and the washer hose was pinched. I haven't been able to find a solution to splice the hose. The only option Ford gave me was to buy the complete hose from fluid reservoir all the way under the hood to the washer pieces. Does anyone know of a splice kit or solution. Cost of the full part from Ford is $22.00 and install is a couple of hrs labor about $250.00.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Ford Performance struts and the washer hose was pinched. I haven't been able to find a solution to splice the hose. The only option Ford gave me was to buy the complete hose from fluid reservoir all the way under the hood to the washer pieces. Does anyone know of a splice kit or solution. Cost of the full part from Ford is $22.00 and install is a couple of hrs labor about $250.00.
Auto supplies have all kinds of Ts and hose connectors.

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase