Hood moves around alot above 100 mph

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
next time, if there is a next time, pull up on the parking brake, the dragging from the rear will straight'n the car out from rear steering the car toward other lanes, walls/etc.
Yes it will flat spot the tires, small price to pay . I think. And better than a wrinkled up car I reckon.
What the? Why don't you go first and show us how that works out for you.
Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
What the? Why don't you go first and show us how that works out for you.
Done it for decades in the rain and snow.
It has kept me off guard rails and walls and other peoples vehicles. on the public streets and the race track when in a vehicle with a pull up parking brake handle.
No one says you have to do it, you too can crumple your ride against a guardrail no skin off my teeth.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Let us know if they needed adjustment. Something else to keep in mind. The Stock GT hood captures a lot of air passing through the front grill which has a hard time venting out the rear causing the hood to raise. Good Luck for I know that sucks.
Managed to check it out today between showers. In hindsight, copper grease probably not the best thing to use. I now have sparkly bump stops. šŸ¤Ŗ Anywho, looks like it makes good contact. So I didn't make any adjustments.

Passenger side
Bonnet_Passenger_1.jpg
Bonnet_Passenger_2.jpg

Drivers side
Bonnet_Driver_1.jpg
Bonnet_Driver_2.jpg

Jupiter Sean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS Blk
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '17 not an '18 so might not be applicable. I too have flutter and it was so bad that at first it made me stop and make sure the good was latched - crazy. I've since installed Trackspec hood vents and still have flutter... I'm still glad I put them in but if anyone's thinking that removing the rain catch will completely stop the flutter I'm here to tell you that, in a 2017 at least, removing them is not going to fix the issue. I haven't filled hood gaps with rubber so maybe the combo would work. Or if you haven't stuffed a whipple under the hood then perhaps the vent setup they have that more resembles the gt500 center vent may work. But these didn't stop it.
20210520_083650.jpg
20210520_083645.jpg
20210530_110518.jpg

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The problem isnā€™t the front. The problem is the 2 rear pivot supports. Thereā€™s vertical play anywhere from 1/8-3/8ā€ in the closed position. There shouldnā€™t be. Itā€™s a factory flaw thatā€™s worse on some than others.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still glad I put them in but if anyone's thinking that removing the rain catch will completely stop the flutter I'm here to tell you that, in a 2017 at least, removing them is not going to fix the issue.
If anything it'll make it worse. Looks good though. I have zero flutter, unless a semi goes by in the opposite lane, or I'm passing one. But that's buffeting. I'll check my hood as to what @Cory S eluded too. If there's zero play then I guess he's right (as per usual ha-ha).

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Managed to check it out today between showers. In hindsight, copper grease probably not the best thing to use. I now have sparkly bump stops. šŸ¤Ŗ Anywho, looks like it makes good contact. So I didn't make any adjustments.

Passenger side
Bonnet_Passenger_1.jpg
Bonnet_Passenger_2.jpg

Drivers side
Bonnet_Driver_1.jpg
Bonnet_Driver_2.jpg
With your hood closed and locked, can you push down on the front of the hood to see if it has much play up and down?
Sorry to hear you still have issues. Have you. I wonder if anyone had installed hood latches which keeps the hood more solid to correct this issue?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'll check my hood as to what @Cory S eluded too. If there's zero play then I guess he's right (as per usual ha-ha).
Checked. Zero movement. Yer observations seem valid.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Someone with roads to get up to those speeds, needs to aim a go pro at the hood and get a video of the hood movement. It be easier to hatch a plan to fix it with more eyeballs looking at it. and not doing so at 100mph+ on a road.
It is now starting to get warm so the local to me popo are out in full force so no where for me to let loose.

Sponsored

GD~

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT
I was impatient. I had cheesesteaks in the car for dinner, had been following several people doing less than 40mph with their flashers on. As soon as there was an opening, I went around and was obviously going too fast for the conditions. It was a hard lesson learned that day, for certain.

That being said, Cory, if I am not mistaken, you run a drag radial tire on the back. I was running Nitto 555G2's. They had some miles on them and had given me a couple of indicators the few weeks leading up to that incident that in the rain, they were getting questionable. I SHOULD have replaced them, but I kind of ignored the warning signs.

First, I'm glad you're ok with no lasting/permanent damage to yourself. Second, I commend you for having the character to own what happened and not laying it off on a bunch of excuses like so many people seem to do anymore.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The problem isnā€™t the front. The problem is the 2 rear pivot supports. Thereā€™s vertical play anywhere from 1/8-3/8ā€ in the closed position. There shouldnā€™t be. Itā€™s a factory flaw thatā€™s worse on some than others.
I went on a test ride/drive banshee run. I quickly cut up a pool noodle foam to fit on the strut tower brace and be tall enough to be tight against the bottom of the hood/insulation but not so tight that it flexes the hood.
This is the way.
I am going to redo this concept with better foam cut better and a rubber strip a the top to contact the hood insulation/hood and do a few more testing runs while hoping for no gumball machines.
If this pans out. Might have to look into a better looking method.
So far it seemed to help. admittedly it was only one banshee run with the Joe dirt mod, but looks promising

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I went on a test ride/drive banshee run. I quickly cut up a pool noodle foam to fit on the strut tower brace and be tall enough to be tight against the bottom of the hood/insulation but not so tight that it flexes the hood.
This is the way.
I am going to redo this concept with better foam cut better and a rubber strip a the top to contact the hood insulation/hood and do a few more testing runs while hoping for no gumball machines.
If this pans out. Might have to look into a better looking method.
So far it seemed to help. admittedly it was only one banshee run with the Joe dirt mod, but looks promising
That was a great idea to test! Just a little soft upwards pressure against it!

2015COCrush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John Vece
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
I notice, as an unintended benefit, that once I added the Ford Performance hood struts the movement in the hood was much less, almost gone.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i, for one, am appalled to know that you hooligans are driving automobiles in excess of the speed limit. how dare you. how very dare you.
Sponsored