Hood moves around alot above 100 mph

905Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 pp mustang gt
I was on a trip last weekend and on a couple of different occasions there was an opportunity to stretch the legs out a bit and I noticed quite a bit of movement of the hood above 100mph. The faster I went the more it was moving around. It made me a bit nervous. My last Mustang was an S197 GT500 with Shelby hood pins, so it didn't enter into my thinking to worry about the hood moving. This 2018 GT with the stock hood is a lot scarier in that department. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
03AE391E-ABAA-464D-B869-567812CD4A67.jpeg

I know my hood is aftermarket but be careful brother, i was doing a buck 20 and she started flapping hard. Scared the piss out of me so i was doing 70 on my way home and the hood flew up. I know your probably going to be good but check all your hood and hinge bolts. Ride safe:thumbsup:
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Sorry to hear about that. Was your Hood front edge adjusted slightly below the bumper back edge?. Good Luck

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Having not owned a mustang for a couple years.... I just did the same double take at my hood the other day when it was doing this... for a second I was alarmed and then I remembered.....

Dark Side

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP Fastback. 1967 Mustang Fastback
I've had my hood shake and lift hard enough (while only doing 55) while crossing the bridge down here to cause some serious puckering.

I'm looking at hood pins now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just curious, how did your last Mustang get totaled?
I was driving in the rain and came to an area where there was a stream of water crossing the highway. The car hydroplaned and took a hard right across 3 lanes and hit a guardrail.

Dash cam video:

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I was driving in the rain and came to an area where there was a stream of water crossing the highway. The car hydroplaned and took a hard right across 3 lanes and hit a guardrail.

Dash cam video:

Looks like you were driving to fast for conditions. Why are you driving in the rain with your wipers off?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Looks like you were driving to fast for conditions. Why are you driving in the rain with your wipers off?
Rain-X.

Pretty sure he figured that out right at the first "Oh shit!" No real need to provide a critical analysis of the guy who was already willing to post a video of one of his crappiest days.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox

Dash cam video:

Omg! Nice driving or just dumb luck that you didn't hit another car. Glad you're okay.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Dash cam video:

Thats how I lost my Mach1, only I was MAYBEE to doing 35 in freezing rain when it happened.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
At high speed - and I've been up to 165 - it's stable, EXCEPT with severe crosswinds. As you know, it was windy as hell today from Eastvale to the base of the pass, and I was getting some shaking when I went over 100. The Express lanes on the 15 N had mounds of tumbleweeds over 6 feet high and partially blocking some lanes. Dust flying everywhere. Those conditions -> hood shake.

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I obviously WAS driving too fast for the conditions, although I had done that many many times before without having had a hydroplane happen. I am 52 years old, been driving since I was 16 sooo take that for what its worth.
Rain-X.

Pretty sure he figured that out right at the first "Oh shit!" No real need to provide a critical analysis of the guy who was already willing to post a video of one of his crappiest days.
The rain looks way worse in the video than it was in person due to how close the lens is to the glass. It was a crappy day for sure. 5 weeks earlier I had just had the hood, front and rear bumpers, front fenders and mirrors off the car and painted. The stripes removed and painted on. New LED tail lights and you can't tell in the video, but the rear bumper hit and destroyed the tail lights too. Basically everything I had just done. It was a kick in the guts for sure.
Omg! Nice driving or just dumb luck that you didn't hit another car. Glad you're okay.
About 98% dumb luck. I was doing everything I could behind the wheel to save it, but it was doing what physics was dictating at that moment. I am certainly blessed to have not collected anyone else and to have not gotten seriously injured. The airbags didn't deploy due to the guardrail hitting above the front bumper and missing the sensors. I ended up heating up a low back condition I have had for years, and my right TMJ, right wrist and elbow were sore for several weeks from working the stick shift when I hit the guardrail.

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I obviously WAS driving too fast for the conditions, although I had done that many many times before without having had a hydroplane happen. I am 52 years old, been driving since I was 16 sooo take that for what its worth.
The rain looks way worse in the video than it was in person due to how close the lens is to the glass. It was a crappy day for sure. % weeks earlier I had just had the hood, front and rear bumpers, front fenders and mirrors off the car and painted. The stripes removed and painted on. New LED tail lights and you can't tell in the video, but the rear bumper hit and destroyed the tail lights too. Basically everything I had just done. It was a kick in the guts for sure.
About 98% dumb luck. I was doing everything I could behind the wheel to save it, but it was doing what physics was dictating at that moment. I am certainly blessed to have not collected anyone else and to have not gotten seriously injured. The airbags didn't deploy due to the guardrail hitting above the front bumper and missing the sensors. I ended up heating up a low back condition I have had for years, and my right TMJ, right wrist and elbow were sore for several weeks from working the stick shift when I hit the guardrail.
I say: Shit Happens. Everyone has gotten themselves into a situation where things didn't always go well. Been their, Done That. Glad You Are Safe.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It was unfortunate that the rear wheels hydroplaned first, while the fronts still had grip. That's an unfortunate side effect of RWD, even more so in a car with wider rears than fronts. A FWD would have probably been fine. I'm glad you were OK.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
20220116_132112_copy_3000x2250.jpg

I have a bmr k member, so the belly pan doesn't connect the same as factory (now zip ties, i have since added several and got industrial strength). Anyways, at 150 the belly pan ripped off with part of the bumper. The hood flutter was violent after that. My solution was the race louvers, and getting an intercooler built with blow off valves in front of radiator (the current BOV is behind it and I figure it contributed to the over pressure at 150) to lower the under hood pressure. And in the event it fails I added the two quick lock hood pins just in case, the bumper while not to cheap was an easy fix as compared to the hood, pillars, and so on.
Sponsored