Hood latch pins..... Better sit down for this one

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Tom, are you going with bare CF or painted?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, are you going with bare CF or painted?
That was the part that was going to be the surprise.

I'm sure that the issue will be worked out. I am moving forward with the hood. I now need to work out a detail with the carbon fiber deck lid....... Anderson says that you can't mount a large wing to the lid because it will not be able to handle the load. I spoke with Anderson and they told me that there is a reinforcement modification that a lot of the race teams use to reinforce the deck lids. I have no idea where to begin with that.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If it's just the pin (in essence the threaded rod with the ball end) that's the concern, take an OEM pin to your favorite machinist and have him make a couple of copies out of stainless.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thats insane! Why so much? Guess that's what it takes to have that carbon. At least it would look amazing afterward!
Please PM me with price and availability. Any chance free shipping?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Cause options are unlimited.
Greg: I meant to ask Tom the same thing. Love that avatar photo BTW, any chance I might acquire an HD copy of it for my 500 gallery via a PM?

Near as I can tell from your photo and link, those sure seem to be the same pins minus the propietary stamp.

So Tom, I'm curious.. why do you care about OEM pins for the new hood? The hood isn't OEM and, aren't you planning on adding the CF louvers to it? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Love that avatar photo BTW, any chance I might acquire an HD copy of it for my 500 gallery via a PM?
Oh haha thanks ! It's just a crappy cell phone pic the wife took on her 5 year old phone.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Greg: I meant to ask Tom the same thing. Love that avatar photo BTW, any chance I might acquire an HD copy of it for my 500 gallery via a PM?

Near as I can tell from your photo and link, those sure seem to be the same pins minus the propietary stamp.

So Tom, I'm curious.. why do you care about OEM pins for the new hood? The hood isn't OEM and, aren't you planning on adding the CF louvers to it? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Because the hood is specifically designed for the oem latch. That is the way the hood is manufactured.

cf hood2.jpg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OK then, they must not be identical as they appear on the surface Tom, thanks. Just curious, makes sense.
I'll PM you with some of my ideas.

Anderson Composites

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.andersoncomposites.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 Ford Broncos (2 and 4-door)
So I was about to pull the trigger on a CF hood and deck lid today. Anderson Composites describes the hood as needing hood pins and latch as well as a heat shield.

I'll just get this out of the way..... HOLY CRAP! The hood latch mechanism (push pins) run $718 each MSRP and the nut runs $83 each MSRP. That is the cost of the carbon fiber hood!

Am I missing something?

hood pins.jpg
You do not need a latch, the hood comes with that loop-bracket.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So, was there even an attempt by Anderson to work something out with FP such that the buyer of one of these hoods had a reasonably priced pin solution? Why not do your best to put the relationship you have with them to work? I know it isn't easy but it never hurts to try...

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So, was there even an attempt by Anderson to work something out with FP such that the buyer of one of these hoods had a reasonably priced pin solution?
Well according to AC, this is the reasonably priced solution.
" *Requires OE hood pins (not included, transfer OE pins from OE hood to CF hood) "

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hence their choice of the word "requires." To me, that speaks to the fact that the pins are shall we say, ridiculously expensive. No back to my question - was there an attempt even made to work something out with FP?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hence their choice of the word "requires." To me, that speaks to the fact that the pins are shall we say, ridiculously expensive. No back to my question - was there an attempt even made to work something out with FP?
I just sent an email to them Tob. What's on your mind? You are asking a very pointed question. Do you know something I don't?

I am working with a friend of yours on the CF decklid. If he says it will work, we can add that to the list of things I will be doing.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My take is this...Ford Performance has a working relationship with Anderson as evidenced by the plan for Anderson to produce certain composite parts that will be available for sale exclusively through FP. It's all about networking and figuring out a way to make things work that either corporate or their attorneys would likely say no to. Leverage the relationships you have and climb the ladder to the next level. If you hit a roadblock you find a way around it. Sometimes failure here is due to a lack of effort and sometimes because the bureaucracy is simply reluctant to agree to work together on a given solution. Either way, it never hurts to take a shot regardless of how dim the outlook may be. I'm well aware of Ford's current position on certain production pieces being made available at a "discount" by them being sold through FP. They frown on it for the most part. But if you're good at what you do, you can often sway the unswayable...

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with on the decklid.