Hood corrosion

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Ok so developments..... Ford Warranty department has denied my claim and has again referred to the 5 year warranty and how it does not meet the criteria (perforation). Now it is back to fighting with Ford Customer Assistance.... In addition to the 2016 warranty guide above, I have the General Service Bulletin (GSB) for Paint defects that specifically states that 2015 F150s and all 2016 and up models do not require perforation for coverage.

There is no part number difference between a 2016 hood and a 2015 hood. This tells me that Ford changed their manufacturing paint process with the 2016 mustangs to include better preparation and protection from moisture. Ford can't admit this however because then that would signify that they knew there was an issue with the 2015 models and are not covering it. Either way it is very clear that this is a factory defect that should be covered under warranty regardless of mileage. I just need to be a big enough pain in the a** for them to finally agree to the repair. An excerpt from the GSB and the full document is attached to this post.

GSB Document: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1TidNQbn9YBdWN2WHJTNldjNmM
GSB 2.PNG
GSB.PNG
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I got annoyed waiting for the fix and ordered the Tiger Racing hood. Having it painted now and blended with the rest of the car

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I am getting to that point.... Ford keeps bouncing me back and forth between customer assistance and the dealership...

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I don't understand, if they changed/"improved" the paint process from 2015 to 2016 on the hoods, how'd my 2017 still have it?

Can you not find another dealership who'll handle it no questions asked? I showed mine the issue and there was no debate on whether or not it was perforation (it was very much apparent).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand, if they changed/"improved" the paint process from 2015 to 2016 on the hoods, how'd my 2017 still have it?

Can you not find another dealership who'll handle it no questions asked? I showed mine the issue and there was no debate on whether or not it was perforation (it was very much apparent).
I have tried 2 so far.... The issue with the area I live in is that all Ford dealers within a 50 mile radius are owned by the same parent company.

And changing the process doesn’t mean it was entirely corrected but that the number of claims they expect are significantly lower then before the processing change. Less claims = less money out of pocket for Ford.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Zack,

Just curious, are they denying your warranty claim based on the above secondary "note" in red on the GSB doc, where it states that the damage may not be covered due to paint chip or impact to the painted surface?

That's Ford covering their asses with a legal "but if".... so, yes, according to the GSB doc, Ford will cover such issues without perforation being present, BUT only IF there was no damage to the painted surface that allowed moisture penetration that would then turn into corrosion......

That's probably their "out" on your claim - which is absurd.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zack,

Just curious, are they denying your warranty claim based on the above secondary "note" in red on the GSB doc, where it states that the damage may not be covered due to paint chip or impact to the painted surface?

That's Ford covering their asses with a legal "but if".... so, yes, according to the GSB doc, Ford will cover such issues without perforation being present, BUT only IF there was no damage to the painted surface that allowed moisture penetration that would then turn into corrosion......

That's probably their "out" on your claim - which is absurd.
It is possible although not clearly stated in their denial of the claim. I don't see how they would have much grounds though as the majority of pictures sent to the warranty department included pictures of corrosion on the underside of the hood clearly originating from the hood seam. That is an area that shows no exterior damage and can't possibly be "chipped or impacted by debris".

It comes down to the simple fact that their computers are telling them that my car is not covered due to being outside the normal 36,000 mile warranty and the fact that the corrosion warranty does not apply due to no perforation. They are not willing to reason with the fact that they did indeed change the warranty for 2016 and are unwilling to admit that my car does not apply to this new warranty because there was indeed a processing change for 2016. They keep bouncing me back and forth between the dealer and them and I am getting no where....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It is possible although not clearly stated in their denial of the claim. I don't see how they would have much grounds though as the majority of pictures sent to the warranty department included pictures of corrosion on the underside of the hood clearly originating from the hood seam. That is an area that shows no exterior damage and can't possibly be "chipped or impacted by debris".

It comes down to the simple fact that their computers are telling them that my car is not covered due to being outside the normal 36,000 mile warranty and the fact that the corrosion warranty does not apply due to no perforation. They are not willing to reason with the fact that they did indeed change the warranty for 2016 and are unwilling to admit that my car does not apply to this new warranty because there was indeed a processing change for 2016. They keep bouncing me back and forth between the dealer and them and I am getting no where....
Are you working with an internal Ford Regional Rep @ Corporate? If that Rep is giving you the run around, I'd ask to speak to their Superior. The Ford CSR's are supposed to have more pull against the Dealer's Service Dept (above and beyond their Shop Foremen, etc).

Jdvoyles

60nOut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert Ruby/10 Fusion Sprt/08 Expedition
Add one more to the list. 2015 GT. Took delivery January 2015. Garage kept with less than 10k miles. Was washing it this past weekend and noticed a spot on the front edge of the hood. Knew right away what it was because I had a 2008 Expedition which had a major issue with the aluminum tailgate. It started with a small spot but eventually a large section of paint popped off. Luckily I have a quality paint shop nearby who repainted it for me. After 3 yrs, no return of the issue. I'm taking the car in for an inspection this week.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Are you working with an internal Ford Regional Rep @ Corporate? If that Rep is giving you the run around, I'd ask to speak to their Superior. The Ford CSR's are supposed to have more pull against the Dealer's Service Dept (above and beyond their Shop Foremen, etc).
I am finally getting some more movement. I should be talking to a Regional Rep soon. They just want a few more names on the claim sheet before getting them involved... Hopefully by early next week I will have more progress.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Yea. Fully covered. They’ll give you a free intimate massage too.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Well, I asked a nearby dealer Warranty Administrator to look into this very question. He came back to me the next day and read the section where it says that Ford will compensate the owner the costs to remove any aftermarket products in order to remove/replace the warranty part, as well as the costs to restore the aftermarket products. IOW, I can expect to receive a check to have the stripes and clear film replaced, worth about $600.

I was like :eyebulge:
:ford:

gofastguy

NEO Mustang Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT#3040
Maybe I just got lucky but the first dealer (who wasn't even the selling dealer) that I stopped at checked my hood out, took some pictures, and had Ford's approval to replace the hood in just a few days. It goes in on the 20th and hopefully comes back with a perfect paint match!

Don's Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR Mustang GT Premium PP
Well at almost 3 years with my car and 33k miles I just noticed the bubbling on the hood where it meets at side panel. Going in Tuesday morning after I get off shift, I have bumper to bumper for 6 years 66k so should be covered under paint defect.
Sponsored