Sponsored

Honoring my old man, need some advice, help, and opinions

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Have fun in it. Enjoy it. That's what I would want for any son of mine. Keep something in there to remind you of your father.
Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
thank you everyone for your responses. I'm thinking in order to keep everything more simple and not thrash up the car, it may be easier to find/make a little button setup that maybe could be mounted to the back side of the existing steering wheel.

The car currently has the + - button on the shifter that allows the gear to change. I think this would be the best route in order to maintain the originality of the car. Im certainly hearing you guys when you are saying to keep it the way my dad would have it. I think thats a good idea.

Azairous, you really seem to know what you are talking about. How will I be able to find out what type of switch it is that the mustang has currently?

Thank you again to everyone! i really appreciate this forum and all of its members!
Wanted to say sorry for the loss of your Dad. I lost mine last April a few days after he only got to see my 15 V6. You're really lucky he got to be in yours and enjoy it. I'd keep it Auto like he wanted it but I know my Dad never liked stagnation or old tech. He was always about the future. So if your dad was that way then get that engine faster and more efficient and enjoy his car because I'm sure he would've wanted you to. It's not easy, and I know these months have been the hardest, but it will get easier. Missing him won't but you will move forward.

archaica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP
Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in and express my condolences on the loss of your dad. Having a shared love to bond you together is really great. In my opinion, the way to honor your dad's side of the equation is to leave things as he had them. You have your way, he had his. That's just my opinion though.

I never got into cars when I was young, (mid-30s now), and never knew my dad to be a "car guy". After I moved to California and got exposed to all this car culture out here I've gotten more into them, and found out my dad had built cars when he was a teenager, taking apart the family car to study the engine, using a light body to build a roadster so fast he was kicked off Maryland highways, and had a 65 Mustang while he was at flight training in Pensacola (which he apparently traded for an MGB that did a much better job picking up my mother than the Mustang would have). When I told him I was buying a Mustang, he got all excited and is eager to see it in person. He might just get shipped out here to take a ride in the hills.

I say all that not to make it about me, but to hope that my dad and I can get as much shared joy out of this car as it seems you and your dad did from yours. Best of luck, and good wishes to your family.

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
Sorry for your loss man, that's real tough. It's really cool that you have something to always remember him! I wear a ring that my grandfather left for me and it means so much to be able to have something to keep him close

DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
Sorry for your loss Will. Prayers to you and your family.

Sponsored

OP
OP
willmkent

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
My dad and I modified tons of cars, from my first project (turbo focus) all the way to the supra we shared. For his birthday once I installed a full exhaust and a nice shirt throw shifter on his 03 Mach 1. I feel that I'm gonna keep the car more original like you guys are saying, you're right. It makes more sense not to re arrange he whole thing. I am still feeling strongly about the supercharger, because I always put the twist on every car, and my dad would tell me how well I "enhanced" the vehicle.

I really appreciate all the kind words and thoughts, out of everything my dad, his cars were cherished and taken immaculate care of. This is what we talked about, this is what we enjoyed, and this is what we did.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
While you and your Dad shared your love of cars, you shared something much more precious...your TIME together. Sorry for your loss but hopeful that your memories will give you comfort. I know that His Mustang will continue to do so. Merci Beaucoup for sharing Will...might just be the best thread I've ever read on this Forum...God Bless.
Sponsored