Honoring my old man, need some advice, help, and opinions

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by willmkent, Sep 28, 2015.

1. willmkent

willmkent 'Twas sure good see'in ya

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    #1 willmkent, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Hey guys,

I recently lost my father, he and I were mustang guys, we modded together, drove together and shared all things car related. He has left me his 2014 S197 GT vert. He decided with this one that he wanted an auto. I've considered a manual swap but that might be too expensive for its worth, unless I find out otherwise. But I did come up with the idea of swapping an S550 auto steering wheel with the paddle shifters and finding a way to wire them to the select shift option that comes standard on the 14.

my dad loved this mustang and took great care of it. I love it too, and just like I do with every car, I want to put my spin on it. He knows I would anyway!

Does anyone know if any of this could be possible?

Thanks guys and Godspeed.

2. Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I have no input on your question but wanted to say "sorry for the loss of your dad". May he RIP.

willmkent likes this.
  3. 'Merica

'Merica Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Z51 3LT Stingray
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Sorry to hear that you lost your dad man! I wish I could be more help on your question.

willmkent likes this.
  4. Khyber

Khyber it's a hard parked life

First Name:
    Landon
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT PP CO
    0   0   0
    if your dad wanted it auto, I'd leave it auto since that's what he wanted. That's my opinion but by all means honor him the way you see best!

Stam616 and willmkent like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    willmkent

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys for all of the kind wishes. It's been very rough but I want to move forward with great positive memories of him, build up and keep his car pristine! As we would have done together as we lived on.

I think you are right there may be something to leaving it an auto because as he got older that's what he wanted. I would like to figure out if I could add a paddling shifting or push button shifter option for a more sport feel so that I could have a compromise. But there is one thing or sure, I'm gonna supercharge this bad boy...

2 weeks ago, we went for a test drive in my 15 Eco after the livernois tune and he loved it, laughing as I smashed the pedal down. When we got back I said to him, "you know I'm gonna beat you in 1/4 mile with a 4 cylinder now right?" And he said to me "not a chance with my V8 but keep dreaming" ... I'm gonna make his car so fast I'll never be able to beat it with anything I have or have done.. That way he will always be right, and it will always be a car I look up too.

OH5GT 2 S550 likes this.
  6. grumblin

grumblin Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Magnetic GT Premium
    0   0   0
    And remember, Autos are more efficient at the track ;)

willmkent likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    willmkent

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    That's true but for me I'm gonna drive it and love it, this really won't be a track vehicle for me, more of a keepsake and a project that I can work on and heritage, the manual to me is fun driving, I'm trying to adapt to it because for me the joy in driving is in a manual and I'm trying to find a way to love the auto because I want to keep my fathers car, he loved it so much

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
    Rating:
    100%
    20   0   0
    That is a VERY tough loss, my condolences. i would keep it auto the way he wanted it.

9. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    I think the way to honor the old man is to tastefully mod the vert. Drive it. Show it at car shows and enjoy it just the way you and your father would have! My condolences on your loss.

10. Old 5 Oh

Old 5 Oh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium AT
    0   0   0
    14s have a thumb shifter so it would be a matter of getting that function to the paddles. 100% sure I can't do it but doesn't sound impossible for a guy skilled in the dark art of electrons. Would have to deal with the cruise control and radio controls as well, since there are really a lot of buttons on the 15 steering wheel.

11. Azairious

Azairious Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
    0   0   0
    Hey mate, sorry about the loss, i can help with some of the question, first thing your would need to do is find out if the button shifters on the 14 are a simple on/off switch or if they are something like a canbus or mA monitor switch, if it is the former then you can get aftermarket kits to do that, or you could modify any paddle shifter to do that function pretty easily. HOWEVER if it is canbus/modbus/any other stupid comms protocol then you need to work out a way to interpret the command coming from the 14 shift buttons and translate the S550 wheel to those commands... NOT EASY AT ALL, even a mA monitor switch is super simple as you just need to match the resistances across the buttons you want to do stuff which means you can use the cruise/radio/all the other stuff.

the last option is the most common for steering wheel manufacturers as it just changes the resistance value in the circuit when a button is pushed and that is monitored in mA to activate any function required to the value.

but yeah, you'd need a '14 with the shift buttons, and a '15 wheel and compare the 2 if the resistance changes on a button press then it is option 3, if it spikes to an open circuit then option 1 is a bingo, if you not sense any change then it is most likely option 2 which sucks.

12. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    Sorry about your loss! Glad you are carrying on his passion!

13. OP
    OP
    willmkent

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost PP
    0   0   0
    thank you everyone for your responses. I'm thinking in order to keep everything more simple and not thrash up the car, it may be easier to find/make a little button setup that maybe could be mounted to the back side of the existing steering wheel.

The car currently has the + - button on the shifter that allows the gear to change. I think this would be the best route in order to maintain the originality of the car. Im certainly hearing you guys when you are saying to keep it the way my dad would have it. I think thats a good idea.

Azairous, you really seem to know what you are talking about. How will I be able to find out what type of switch it is that the mustang has currently?

Thank you again to everyone! i really appreciate this forum and all of its members!

14. EgoBoost

EgoBoost 9/11 Never Forget

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT/A10/Whipple En-route
    0   0   0
    Joining the others in offering my condolences. Kudos for honoring his memory and fondness for his Pony. I'd install a push button start button labeled "Dad" if it were me.

15. astolt12

astolt12 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Black GT PP
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't touch anything on that car. Drive it like he drove it and keep it clean and maintained.

Leaving as the way it is is a legacy to your Father and a memory you will always have. Personally, I would sell my own car before I sold his.