Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Cage is mostly welded - just need to add the gussets that strengthen the a-pillar supports and attached pillar bars to the car body.

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Overall, I am pretty happy with how this came out. While I'm no expert welder, I am happy enough with the quality of my work for this round.

IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

It was a metric - ton of welding. Probably about 8.5 hours into the cage itself so far (not including the game of legos putting it together). So much welding.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That’s the route I’ll be going. Have you already thought through which slicks/compounds you expect to like the most? Spring rates with slicks?
I haven't put too much thought into it just yet. I have a few more experienced Mustang racers I need to connect with - primarily targeting the Michelins and Pirellis in the 300-310mm width range. I've used the Pirelli DHs pretty extensively and they're amazing.

For Spring rates, I am going to rely on Anthony to help me spec those when I order the dampers

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Cage is mostly welded - just need to add the gussets that strengthen the a-pillar supports and attached pillar bars to the car body.

It was a metric - ton of welding. Probably about 8.5 hours into the cage itself so far (not including the game of legos putting it together). So much welding.
Crazy how much easier it is to weld with clean material. I hate body welding - especially old rusty cars. I think the work looks great - there are some tough angles for welding on that cage! Kudos.

Have you used a mile of wire yet? Haha

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
HoneyBadger you've been at this for over 6yrs now. Help me feel better about the small fortune I've spent by sharing a ballpark figure on your "Off the rails" adventure. You're my hero.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Crazy how much easier it is to weld with clean material. I hate body welding - especially old rusty cars. I think the work looks great - there are some tough angles for welding on that cage! Kudos.

Have you used a mile of wire yet? Haha
It’s not too bad with the roof off. Can’t even imagine trying to do it with the roof still on - even dropping the cage down it would be tough. But probably doable. Trackspec cage makes it easy.

I think we’ve run through 23lbs of wire so far. It’s pretty nuts. Haha!

HoneyBadger you've been at this for over 6yrs now. Help me feel better about the small fortune I've spent by sharing a ballpark figure on your "Off the rails" adventure. You're my hero.
ha. I don’t actually have a much of a number. I deliberately stopped counting after I’d crossed the 100k mark (car, engines, etc.). I’d say I’ve spent over $200k on the car and associated activities over the years (not including truck/trailer). My estimate is about $150k into the car when it’s done - not accounting for engine rebuilds. A good chunk of that is the last couple months.

I plan to provide a build out when I’m done so others can get a rough idea of costs. All I’ll say about that is be ready for pain and suffering. :crackup:

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It’s not too bad with the roof off. Can’t even imagine trying to do it with the roof still on - even dropping the cage down it would be tough. But probably doable. Trackspec cage makes it easy.

I think we’ve run through 23lbs of wire so far. It’s pretty nuts. Haha!

ha. I don’t actually have a much of a number. I deliberately stopped counting after I’d crossed the 100k mark (car, engines, etc.). I’d say I’ve spent over $200k on the car and associated activities over the years (not including truck/trailer). My estimate is about $150k into the car when it’s done - not accounting for engine rebuilds. A good chunk of that is the last couple months.

I plan to provide a build out when I’m done so others can get a rough idea of costs. All I’ll say about that is be ready for pain and suffering. :crackup:
Madness, sheer madness...... with a hint of genius, lol

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
People lose way more in Vegas and with other pursuits of their choosing. No shame.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Last night I mostly finished up the last bits of the cage - all the various gussets.

Door bar gussets

DOOR GUSSETS.jpg

Main hoop
BIG TACO GUSSETS.jpg

a-pillar support bars

TACO GUSSETS.jpg

B-pillars
B PILLAR GUSSETS.jpg

A-pillars
A PILLAR GUSSETS.jpg

These all came with the kit, so super easy install. Really impressed with this kit. Also VERY happy to be done with it. ha

Getting much closer to painting time

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Finished editing the fuel cell video finally for those interested

Fuel cell install: Mustang gets a 22 gallon ATL tank

Here are a few separate pics

IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg
IMG_1147.jpeg

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
this is just mean :) If you ask how much you can't afford it pal :)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
this is just mean :) If you ask how much you can't afford it pal :)
I don't personally mind these questions. There was a time not long ago I was always thinking/asking the same and I always appreciated when people were willing to share. Knowing the cost makes it easier to dream - or a reality check ha (had plenty of those)

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't personally mind these questions. There was a time not long ago I was always thinking/asking the same and I always appreciated when people were willing to share. Knowing the cost makes it easier to dream - or a reality check ha (had plenty of those)
Yeah I understand that which still make it mean we try not to thing about the money we spend chasing lap times or trophies. I do keep a very detailed spreadsheet for everything I spend money on but I just try to ignore the money spend on the S550.