Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've had a few things over the years; filter mounts, AN manifolds, etc, etc. No dry sump stuff. But their stuff is top shelf from what I have seen and know of them. Just an option.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
First video is up. This one gives context around of the all this and a video summary of the findings. Next one will be the step-by-step tear down of the engine. Editing that one now

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Roll cage: get quotes from fabricators. I had mine done in Ohio with a top-flight builder and it wasn't much more than some of the pre-fab options you're looking at (but this was 15 years ago!). Still, it was true then and it's true now that prices and quality vary wildly within and across markets, and price and quality are not strongly correlated. Look at racers in your area and look at the shops who build really good cars. A few names will bubble up to the top. For me, the price from my builder in Ohio was so much better than the Philly area (where I lived then) that it was cheaper for me to drive to Ohio, fly home, fly back, and drive the car back vs. going local.

I don't know how good the fit of the pre-fab cages is, but I can barely slide a piece of paper between major bars and body structure in multiple areas of my cage, and the clearance from driver seat to tubes is absolutely maxed out. Pre-fab options available to me at the time were really inferior. Mustangs might have better pre-fab options due to the ubiquity of the platform.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
New tow pig is in! It’s ridiculous and I love it. Now just waiting on the new trailer.

DA811490-3E01-4349-AC03-713EAF305D4D.jpeg

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
He went to the dark side. :crackup:

I was very close to pulling the trigger on an R until learning the rear set retrofit was no longer available. Two young daughters that were very focused on back seat rides landed me in a ‘regular’ 350. Have since done the suspension and added forged wheels / better tires… should help close the gap
Dodge?????

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Dodge?????
Could be some sort of early-onset senility. Hard to fathom. First, it was switching to a cross-plane crank, and we kind of absorbed that without too much difficulty. But this, a Ram truck? When a perfectly good F350 Super Duty with a 7 liter gas engine was available? What'll be next?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When a perfectly good F350 Super Duty with a 7 liter gas engine was available?
he already explained how it wasn't available... And anyway any self-respecting truck driver knows it's diesel or nothing. Gas engine... pfshaw.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Could be some sort of early-onset senility. Hard to fathom. First, it was switching to a cross-plane crank, and we kind of absorbed that without too much difficulty. But this, a Ram truck? When a perfectly good F350 Super Duty with a 7 liter gas engine was available? What'll be next?
talladega-nights-the-ballad-of-ricky-bobby-dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me.gif

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
On a serious note, I had an F450 on order, but ended up with the Dodge for a couple reasons:

1. Ford ordered early Dec - still no delivery estimate, continued delays, etc. Dodge was ordered end of Jan and showed up this week.

2. Best deal on a Ford I could find was 1k off MSRP. This truck was 13% off MSRP (both custom orders).

3. I liked some of the towing-focused features of the Ram better - specifically the automatic rear airbags, real exhaust brake, and rear view mirror that can show the camera on the back of your trailer. Those are awesome.

4. Interior of the Dodge is a bit nicer, IMHO. Softer surfaces, better colors, and I like UConnect more than Sync.

I will be bummed not to have the F450 turning radius, exterior looks, and 10spd, though. The ram sure fell out of the ugly tree

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That 1K Lb/Ft of torque will put a smile on your face if you tow up any steep hills.....

That engine has been factory warranted with 125 psi of boost. In fire truck applications, but same engine.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
How much longer til he’s in a hellcat 😈