Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
....... Fortunately, I thought ahead and parked on a hill and the LSScrew was willing to push start. That work fine….
Sorry to hear about the issues, but glad the bump start worked for you!! I've had to do that a number of times in beater cars. People look at you real funny when you're rolling in reverse fairly quickly out of an inclined parking spot :crackup:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What battery?
Measure battery voltage with a fast DMM.
Then measure while hitting the starter.
As an example, if voltage drops from 13V to 6.5V when loaded, the starter will need to draw more than 2x current (amps) to function!
Obviously, starter windings will likely overheat first or you may burn the contacts of a relay.

A weak battery can lead to all kinds of gremlins, including mag ride and TCS. Its super frustrating if the voltage drops only under higher loads and circuits flake out.

Logging battery voltage might be helpful if you are logging.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What battery?
Measure battery voltage with a fast DMM.
Then measure while hitting the starter.
As an example, if voltage drops from 13V to 6.5V when loaded, the starter will need to draw more than 2x current (amps) to function!
Obviously, starter windings will likely overheat first or you may burn the contacts of a relay.

A weak battery can lead to all kinds of gremlins, including mag ride and TCS. Its super frustrating if the voltage drops only under higher loads and circuits flake out.

Logging battery voltage might be helpful if you are logging.
It's a healthy Antigravity ATX-20HD - it tested well about 15 days ago.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Here's one. Just make
Screenshot_20211026-122611.png
sure it goes no further than OEM Dip stick

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You buy one that fits the ID of your Oil Dip Stick Tube. It is a 90 watt oil heater.
I guess I'm not sure why you're suggesting it to me :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I believe if the rear bearings have play it will cause TC and ABS troubles.

No idea on the starter.
I think the 20 HD battery has discharge protection so if it pulls down to 11.5 or something the battery switches off.

The 11.5 is my best recollection so don't shoot me if it is a bit higher or lower.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Let us know what is killing starters?
Really interested to hear.
Will do. Working through it as parts become available. We'll see!

I believe if the rear bearings have play it will cause TC and ABS troubles.

No idea on the starter.
I think the 20 HD battery has discharge protection so if it pulls down to 11.5 or something the battery switches off.

The 11.5 is my best recollection so don't shoot me if it is a bit higher or lower.
Correct. The battery has been flawless for me. Always is around 13.3 unless charging or powering something like the starter.

I think this issue is likely some bad luck and a wiring issue, but we'll see.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had abs issues due to a couple elements(magnets) in the magnetic ring failing. Not sure if I threw it away.
When I got the hub off, I was able to hang a paper clip from a string and slowly move it around the ring to see deflection.
Somewhere I have a magnetic field viewing film that also works to check ABS mag rings.

See this before, bearing on magnetic try = oops

ATE 760130 ABS Test Card for Magnetic Sensor Wheels:
https://www.amazon.com/ATE-760130-Magnetic-Sensor-Wheels/dp/B003VXPHW4

https://www.google.com/search?q=Magnetic+Field+Viewing+Film

https://www.google.com/search?q=testing+abs+magnetic+ring

In 30 years I have seen this twice: once was impact damage from debris, other was heat induced.

So if you get hubs hot enough from brakes, and grease cooks out, then bearing overheats, you could overheat the magnet ring and they loose strength fast if overheated.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I had abs issues due to a couple elements(magnets) in the magnetic ring failing. Not sure if I threw it away.
When I got the hub off, I was able to hang a paper clip from a string and slowly move it around the ring to see deflection.
Somewhere I have a magnetic field viewing film that also works to check ABS mag rings.

See this before, bearing on magnetic try = oops

ATE 760130 ABS Test Card for Magnetic Sensor Wheels:
https://www.amazon.com/ATE-760130-Magnetic-Sensor-Wheels/dp/B003VXPHW4

https://www.google.com/search?q=Magnetic+Field+Viewing+Film

https://www.google.com/search?q=testing+abs+magnetic+ring

In 30 years I have seen this twice: once was impact damage from debris, other was heat induced.

So if you get hubs hot enough from brakes, and grease cooks out, then bearing overheats, you could overheat the magnet ring and they loose strength fast if overheated.
Ok, so I get that there's an interesting thing happening in the Mustang GT world, but you're on the GT350 section of the forum and none of what you've posted applies to GT350's. Totally different setup. GT350 front wheel bearings/hubs are sealed units that not only don't have this problem, they literally can't have this problem. They're that different.

Sadly, Ford has encouraged people to believe that GT's, GT PP1's, GT PP2's, and Mach 1's are just GT350's with different badges stuck on. They're totally different cars. The only tech that crosses over from Shelby's to Mustangs is the outline of the chassis. Everything else is different.

Jossyfilms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2018 orange fury gt350
this has probably already been asked but what all do you have done to your suspension?