Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Well it looks like the canister worked well enough for me. No hard pedal all weekend, but admittedly I focused more on other areas than how deep could I get into the braking zone. But the car ran great and I'm pretty happy with a 2:29 flat on incredibly heat cycled Cup 2s and a track that saw a ton of rain. Fix the mistakes in T9, T11 and T20 and it would have been a banger lap for the tires.

Really, really happy with my T1 entry and T3-T8 momentum. Even T15 is getting cleaned up well.

Great video, but I couldn’t watch it without imagining Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, and Valtteri Bottas flying around it in their F1 cars. So cool that you get a track day on an F1 track—makes me so envious!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Glad the vacuum can paid off.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great video, but I couldn’t watch it without imagining Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, and Valtteri Bottas flying around it in their F1 cars. So cool that you get a track day on an F1 track—makes me so envious!
Right? I thank the race car gods frequently everytime I'm at COTA for the opportunity. Definitely blessed. Although, folks in the GA area have it pretty good. Only place I'd consider moving to for car stuff :)

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Right? I thank the race car gods frequently everytime I'm at COTA for the opportunity. Definitely blessed. Although, folks in the GA area have it pretty good. Only place I'd consider moving to for car stuff :)
CA is pretty good if you ignore little things like regulatory environment, cost, and sound restrictions having Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs...

That said, I'm looking forward to checking things out around here - I've got days scheduled at Road Atlanta and Barber.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
CA is pretty good if you ignore little things like regulatory environment, cost, and sound restrictions having Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs...

That said, I'm looking forward to checking things out around here - I've got days scheduled at Road Atlanta and Barber.
Willow Springs is my go to. Absolutely love it!!

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
One corner I did play around with brakes on was T1. We’re down to braking at the 100 marker. This lap had a slightly sloppy exit, but the braking and turn in was spot on. Really starting to get a feel for maximizing the use of the brakes. Now if I can just apply this efficiency everywhere.

Holy hell, I'd give my left nut for my car to sound like THAT!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Back with another mic'd up instructor session! Improvement over my last I think. Feel free to drop feedback in if you like the format and want/less of things. I'll work to add as I get more skilled at talking and driving HB at speed at the same time.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

My favorite CA was Sonoma bar none. Barber looks amazing. Definitely on the list!

Road Atlanta is still my favorite to this day, though.

Willow Springs is my go to. Absolutely love it!!
I never got to do Willow Springs. How's it compare to THill?

Holy hell, I'd give my left nut for my car to sound like THAT!
It never gets old!

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
My favorite CA was Sonoma bar none. Barber looks amazing. Definitely on the list!

Road Atlanta is still my favorite to this day, though.

It never gets old!
I’m SoCal, so I haven’t been to Thunderhill which is NorCal. We have Willow, Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla.

I love Willow because I’ve spent a ton of time there for photo shoots and drives. Button, I’m not a huge fan of, don’t know why—it’s okay but it just doesn’t do it for me.

Chuckwalla, owners are cool, but I like it the least because almost every corner is a late apex. Insurance policy, motorcross type of track—it just feels weird with all those late apex corners.

Then there the creme de la creme—Thermal Club which is like you died and went to heaven and then you died in heaven and went to heaven’s heaven and it had a race track.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I’m SoCal, so I haven’t been to Thunderhill which is NorCal. We have Willow, Buttonwillow, and Chuckwalla.

I love Willow because I’ve spent a ton of time there for photo shoots and drives. Button, I’m not a huge fan of, don’t know why—it’s okay but it just doesn’t do it for me.

Chuckwalla, owners are cool, but I like it the least because almost every corner is a late apex. Insurance policy, motorcross type of track—it just feels weird with all those late apex corners.

Then there the creme de la creme—Thermal Club which is like you died and went to heaven and then you died in heaven and went to heaven’s heaven and it had a race track.
Have you done the autoclub ROVAL too?

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Have you done the autoclub ROVAL too?
forgot about that one. That one is right by my house. Been to Fontana mainly for drag racing which is where I grew up. Went to watch a road event but haven't been on track there. Word is it won’t be around for long, like almost all of the racetracks in California, it’s days are numbered.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
forgot about that one. That one is right by my house. Been to Fontana mainly for drag racing which is where I grew up. Went to watch a road event but haven't been on track there. Word is it won’t be around for long, like almost all of the racetracks in California, it’s days are numbered.
I've been wanting to try it ever since the track attack ROVAL

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Oh man....Willow Springs is on a whole 'nother level. THill is awesome because it's good for beginners. The way it flows feels great, especially when you start nailing the turns just right. Willow Springs is the only track I've been to that actually makes me nervous. Going into Turn 8 with the throttle to the floor at 130mph and feeling the car bounce through the long sweeper at such high speeds will definitely test your balls. It's a very fast track that rewards high HP cars. It's a fun track but I like THill better because it feels more technical, the pavement is better, and it just flows so nicely.

Sonoma is still my favorite though. That track is just about perfect.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Oh man....Willow Springs is on a whole 'nother level. THill is awesome because it's good for beginners. The way it flows feels great, especially when you start nailing the turns just right. Willow Springs is the only track I've been to that actually makes me nervous. Going into Turn 8 with the throttle to the floor at 130mph and feeling the car bounce through the long sweeper at such high speeds will definitely test your balls. It's a very fast track that rewards high HP cars. It's a fun track but I like THill better because it feels more technical, the pavement is better, and it just flows so nicely.

Sonoma is still my favorite though. That track is just about perfect.
I've only done streets of willow and had such a great time