Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This thread constantly pushes me in and out of supporting this platform. 😢

Regardless, thank you for your contribution to this wonderful car. I'm excited to see what path you take with this engine!
I'd still recommend them for track days/HPDE and weekend canyon runs, etc. Completely stock, they're manageable. But if you want to race one, go CPC and save yourself the hassle

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin - Sorry to hear about this issue, but enthusiastic to watch the next level of development of the Honey Badger, for sure!

When I bought the Mule, I did so with the plan that if the engine (a replacement Gen2) takes a dump, I'll be going CPC with the replacement.
I've had the same promise to myself the last year or so...I just assumed it would've also grenaded the block and I'd be starting over. Feel blessed that I found it in the garage and not by seeing the balancer and crank snout flyout of the hood at 8k RPM. ha

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had the same promise to myself the last year or so...I just assumed it would've also grenaded the block and I'd be starting over. Feel blessed that I found it in the garage and not by seeing the balancer and crank snout flyout of the hood at 8k RPM. ha
By the look of your pic, that might not have been far off.... 😳

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So was this after the install of the lightweight clutch/flywheel package? Sorry I've lost track of where you are in the planning vs. building.

If yes - how many hours on that package? I do think the crank vibration damper effect of the stock flywheel might be critical, balanced rotating assembly or not.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I do think the crank vibration damper effect of the stock flywheel might be critical, balanced rotating assembly or not.
and I wonder if more mass would have helped... Or would you just be chasing new harmonic imbalances between nose (damper) and tail of crank? If there was some way to to drastically shorten the nose overhang...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
would a counter-rotating balance shaft have solved this? I know it's not sexy...
It might help, but I think they got it down in stock form (balancer, motor mounts, flywheel, trans mount, etc.).

So was this after the install of the lightweight clutch/flywheel package? Sorry I've lost track of where you are in the planning vs. building.

If yes - how many hours on that package? I do think the crank vibration damper effect of the stock flywheel might be critical, balanced rotating assembly or not.
Nope. I never got it back together to test it. This is as it rolled off the track in January. Stock trans/flywheel/clutch/motor and trans mounts. It's possible it's related to the ATI balancer...but I don't have data.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Curious if you can achieve the same result by just switching to a cross plane engine harness ?
If you were doing an engine swap into a non coyote equiped car, you could just use the coyote engine harness. The Voodoo has the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail and wired into the engine harness so re-pinning is a better idea on a FPC to CPC swap.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
M-6303-M52B, give Scoggins Dickey a call see how long it takes. FWIW, the predator crank shows in stock, which is what the FP part is. FP crank comes with bolt which is larger than Voodoo bolt.
So am I understanding that KR3Z-6303-A and M-6303-M52B are identical? It's looking like both are showing as discontinued. Wonder if they have an updated part #?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
So am I understanding that KR3Z-6303-A and M-6303-M52B are identical?
Yes
It's looking like both are showing as discontinued. Wonder if they have an updated part #?
Odd. FP has it in their catalog. When you press "BUY IT" it shows sold out.
The production part # is 6303, though the prefix might have changed. Register at Fordparts(dot)com. You can choose any dealer in Texas and see what price they give you. It wont give you the full number until you complete the order though.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Could a crank support have helped ?

Probably not a good idea anyway on a road course car since you lose the sway bar .

I assume this failure is even more common with a supercharger .😩

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Welp, the snowballing has officially begun. Going to use this as a sign to step back and do some bigger work at the same time.

I'm currently exploring a dry sump system. I've reached out to Dailey Engineering as well as Dean at Kohr for some info. I know Aviaid also makes a bolt on unit that looks decent, but I believe the Dailey system is superior. Open to recommendations here.

As part of the dry sump work, I am going to need to do some fab work. That leads me to roll cage and fuel cell.

Roll cage:
For the cage, I have a couple of weld-in kit options that pops and I can do ourselves:
  1. Watson - https://shop.watsonracing.com/S550-MUSTANG-ROAD-RACE-ROLL-CAGE-2015-CURRENT-p/wr-15-roadracecage.htm
  2. Trackspec - https://trackspecmotorsports.com/s550-mustang-gt-gt350-roll-cage-kit
If understand correctly, the Trackspec cage is what the GT4 cars use? Or they're very similar at the minimum. It looks superior to me with all the extra reinforcement, but open to feedback.

The other option is a custom cage from a fabricator. This would enable me to remove a lot of extra material from the car's structure that we don't need and get the bars further away from the driver, but assumed with much added expense that will takeaway from other upgrades. Also not sure I want such a heavily modified interior structure now since I give rides more than 50% of the time I'm out on track.

Open to thoughts and feedback!

Fuel cell:
To make way for the dry sump, it looks like I'll need to move the fuel tank. So i'm thinking the typical 22gal fuel cell in the trunk. Since I run E85, i'm thinking a surge tank is a good idea. Any recommendations here?

Future stuff:
Not finalized on timeline, but future updates will include a sequential trans and likely some electronics upgrades (ECU, PDM, Dash, etc.) and a more race-focused ABS unit. No idea on timeline, yet. This will really depend on how badly it snowballs. But goal would be to simplify the system, add in more customizability (such as killing engine if oil pressure dies, etc.), improve durability, and of course, improve performance. While I don't think I'm ready to go down this very expensive path just yet, I want to keep it in mind as I make decisions now so it can help reduce churn going forward if possible.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350