Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This fully won't be addressed tho until the below is applied, right? However, it's really not a necessity unless it really bothers the driver.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultimate-irs-stop-the-hop-package-2015-all-555-2129.html
You should be able to throw in solid bushings and spherical bearings and get it done right. No race cars are going to run a bunch of braces...added weight and complexity. The steeda kit is bolt-on, so it's much easier to install. But solid bushings and spherical bearings are the way to go, IMHO.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, engine is out and almost ready for freight pickup. Engine is headed to Tim to finally get the oil burn issue fixed once and for all (For those unfamiliar, oil leaks past the valves and into the combustion chamber). The valve seal replacement I did over the winter didn’t change anything, so my assumption is it’s in the guides. But not 100%. Will let Tim figure it out and fill me in. Hopefully I can get this circus with the heads fixed once and for all.

C50B4143-F320-4FB0-8A7E-A0B666AC4F2C.jpeg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How many times have you rebuilt this engine? In awe....

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How many times have you rebuilt this engine? In awe....

Only one full rebuild so far. Over winter, I did do some basic refreshing of the valve train hoping to fix the oil burn issues, but no luck. I’m at a loss how oil is getting onto the top of valves after new seals - has to be the guides. But we’ll see.

After Tim tears into it, I’ll know what we’re getting into. But I assume this will be rebuild #2. Hopefully just a light refresh.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Engine is boxed up and getting picked up by R&L tomorrow. For those interested, engine is on an engine stand that’s bolted down to the pallet. Box built around it.

To ship it, I reached out to MPR and asked if they’d arrange a pickup — while I was getting quoted $550+ myself, Tim’s business account was $325.

B693C8E6-830D-4CFD-9B48-E5AF01995F3C.jpeg

Understeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Lead Foot Grey GT350, 67 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t wait to see HB at COTA again!

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Engine is boxed up and getting picked up by R&L tomorrow. For those interested, engine is on an engine stand that’s bolted down to the pallet. Box built around it.

To ship it, I reached out to MPR and asked if they’d arrange a pickup — while I was getting quoted $550+ myself, Tim’s business account was $325.
I was going to ask about the shipping aspects. Big savings for the corporate account versus the rack rate! I found that out recently when I parted out my 2004 WRX and sold a bunch of parts online. Thanks for sharing the costs and crating method.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Can’t wait to see HB at COTA again!
You and me both! Instructing in so many 350s this year has given me the itch something fierce!

I was going to ask about the shipping aspects. Big savings for the corporate account versus the rack rate! I found that out recently when I parted out my 2004 WRX and sold a bunch of parts online. Thanks for sharing the costs and crating method.
I figured I'd share since I was having a hell of a time finding it myself. And yeah, if you're shipping to a builder definitely ask if they can arrange shipping for you. $550 was the lowest I found on my own - many were north of $750. It was crazy!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Engine got delivered to Tim today. He's planning on tearing it down personally, so hopefully will have insights soon. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
While waiting for the engine to get back, had some fun terrorizing in my buddies Miata. These things are so slow, but damn playful. Had an absolute blast. Bonus Tesla Model 3 laps!

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Engine got delivered to Tim today. He's planning on tearing it down personally, so hopefully will have insights soon. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.
just picked up my ported heads from Tim/Tyler at MPR this weekend. They did a full on valve job with new guides and valves, installed my springs, and obviously the porting.

Their shop is awesome and I can't wait to get the heads in the car. I'm interested to see what their diagnosis is.

I've for years suspected that the only place the oil could be going is past the valve seals. There's too many people with minimal amounts in their catch cans and good compression test values that were consuming oil. It has to be valve seals.

Speaking of which, I had purchased a set of the MMR valve seals and Tim/Tyler didn't use them. They said they're fine for the Gen1-Gen2 coyotes but didn't recommend them for the 350 valves. I guess the stem dimensions are different. They used the FPP seals.

Keep us all updated! MPR does awesome work.

Oh, and I just sent my OEM motor off a couple of weeks ago to a buyer in California. To say that shipping freight was a pain/complex is an understatement. You'd think it'd be easier in 2020, but I found it very convoluted even using UPS Freight.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Heard from Tim this morning we're just waiting on the pistons now. They're expected to be done this week or next it looks like.

Looks like I'll get the engine back just in time for the winter hibernation. At least I won't be stressed out trying to get it ready for March, ha!

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Kevin:
Thanks for keeping this thread current and active... it's a true gem!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin:
Thanks for keeping this thread current and active... it's a true gem!
No problem! I am just excited to get back into it. This year has been....weird. Here's to hoping 2021 transitions us back to normalcy in many aspects!

Understeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Lead Foot Grey GT350, 67 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Any word on the oil issue?