Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Really curious to see what the clutch wear looks like.

You're taking the bull by the horns on this one, bravo!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Really curious to see what the clutch wear looks like.

You're taking the bull by the horns on this one, bravo!
Me too. I'm probably a bit hard on clutches compared to many on here - would rather put the wear and tear on the clutch than the engine. No lugging for me!

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
My first feeling was to wrap the exhaust, but I've had a few folks tell me their experience with the wrap wasn't ideal. Tagging Chris so he can explain: @CSL
Wow, just catching up after being gone to the races all weekend. Kev, you neglected to mention the electrical gremlin resurfacing and the big leap plan. Might as well yank off the band aid sooner than later.

Easy answer on ceramic coating over wrap is durability. I didn't read if you're going long tubes, but knowing you, I figure that is in the plan. Especially with long tubes and the potential for scraping, etc....the ceramic coating is a cleaner application that will last the life of the header whereas wrap likely won't. Our headers on the race car were wrapped and it was a mess, with pieces torn and frayed primarily at the collector from bottoming out, but also to a lesser extent in other areas.....just not a good option on a road course car in my opinion. One landscaping adventure and the risk of f'ing up your wrap is pretty high.

And, if you're looking for an engine hoist, O'Reilly's has one for $300 that works just fine....ask me how I know. :shock:

capt_and

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hi all -

If you've poked into my Codes P144A and P0193 (ugh..not again) thread, you'll already have seen that I had quite the up and down weekend at Motorsports Ranch Cresson last weekend. First session out, the car started misfiring like crazy. After throwing no other codes nor it being specific to any one cylinder, the hypothesis was that is bad gas or spark plugs from when I did the compression test. I put a tank of VP100 in and replaced the spark plugs and was able to make the last session of Saturday on the 1.3. Car ran great, no problems.

I ran all day on Saturday without issue. We were running the 1.7. In the second to last session, I broke into the 1:24s. Was very happy with this time considering I was running my Pilot Super Sports and it was 39 degrees!

In the last session of the day, the car started to act like it had fuel starvation. Massively down on power, only on high-g turns, etc. It threw the CEL a lap later and I came in to find Codes P144A and P0193. Check out this thread for that saga. Fortunately, I was able to diagnose the problem (knock on wood) as yet ANOTHER bad wire coming out of one of the connectors on the engine harness (the Fuel Rail Pressure/Temperature Sensor specifically). After a quick redneck sodder job, it appeared the car was fixed. It was time to head back to the track and put the car through the paces to see if the fix worked.

This past saturday I headed back out to MSR-C for some redemption. Fortunately, HB went through over 2 hours of track time without any incident. For the time being, all looks to be good. Even managed to break into the 1:23s with the same aero/tire setup. Awhh yeah.

HUGE thank you to @tlisotta for the invite. I sincerely appreciate your hospitality!

As a side note, it was an absolute blast running the car on super sports for the past 3 days. Really good back to basics type of scenario. The super sports really highlight all the bad habits you've built on R compound tires. Really made progress on my corner entry speed and braking/turn in/throttle timing. Can't wait to get back to COTA and apply what I was able to work on.

And of course, since HB was wearing street tires, I changed the aero package. I call this "HB in street clothes." Almost unrecognizable, right? :crackup:

20181124_113152.jpg
What day did you guys go? I was there that same weekend but I don't recall seeing a Ruby Red GT350 out there. Let me know if you are ever interested in heading back out, I am a member and try to go every weekend member day. I'll be racing spec Miata this upcoming year with NASA so there I'll probably be out there at least twice a month.

I drove my white Miata that weekend. We are in the process of making it a spec Miata - the only thing it lacks is the suspension. I've been running on blown/leaky street shocks. The best I've done in that car is a mid 1.26 with the current set-up. My friend and instructor comfortably did mid 1.25 that same day - he's also an IMSA pro driver so I don't feel too bad.

It's been awhile since I've been able to drive my m240i out there since August (it's been in the shop for a full race car build), but if I recall, my best time when the car was closer to stock on RE-71Rs was a flat 1.22. That car is getting completed this week so I'll be there this weekend on the 3.1 to do a shake down. I was told by my friend that a good time for that car would be high 1.18s - 19s on the 1.7 and 2.19s on the 3.1.

The odds of me taking out the 350R is pretty slim. I may do a session or two with it and have my friend do a few laps to see what it can do. He is thinking 1.18s in stock form, but again, he's a paid pro driver.

Anyways, you should come out and drive one weekend. I think I can have you come twice a year.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wow, just catching up after being gone to the races all weekend. Kev, you neglected to mention the electrical gremlin resurfacing and the big leap plan. Might as well yank off the band aid sooner than later.

Easy answer on ceramic coating over wrap is durability. I didn't read if you're going long tubes, but knowing you, I figure that is in the plan. Especially with long tubes and the potential for scraping, etc....the ceramic coating is a cleaner application that will last the life of the header whereas wrap likely won't. Our headers on the race car were wrapped and it was a mess, with pieces torn and frayed primarily at the collector from bottoming out, but also to a lesser extent in other areas.....just not a good option on a road course car in my opinion. One landscaping adventure and the risk of f'ing up your wrap is pretty high.

And, if you're looking for an engine hoist, O'Reilly's has one for $300 that works just fine....ask me how I know. :shock:
Chris you know me - I jump headfirst into the deep end :)

But no long tubes. Can't justify the cost at this point in time. Gotta focus the limited funds on preventative stuff! And good insight on the landscaping adventures. Had a few of those since I moved down here. hehe

What day did you guys go? I was there that same weekend but I don't recall seeing a Ruby Red GT350 out there. Let me know if you are ever interested in heading back out, I am a member and try to go every weekend member day. I'll be racing spec Miata this upcoming year with NASA so there I'll probably be out there at least twice a month.

I drove my white Miata that weekend. We are in the process of making it a spec Miata - the only thing it lacks is the suspension. I've been running on blown/leaky street shocks. The best I've done in that car is a mid 1.26 with the current set-up. My friend and instructor comfortably did mid 1.25 that same day - he's also an IMSA pro driver so I don't feel too bad.

It's been awhile since I've been able to drive my m240i out there since August (it's been in the shop for a full race car build), but if I recall, my best time when the car was closer to stock on RE-71Rs was a flat 1.22. That car is getting completed this week so I'll be there this weekend on the 3.1 to do a shake down. I was told by my friend that a good time for that car would be high 1.18s - 19s on the 1.7 and 2.19s on the 3.1.

The odds of me taking out the 350R is pretty slim. I may do a session or two with it and have my friend do a few laps to see what it can do. He is thinking 1.18s in stock form, but again, he's a paid pro driver.

Anyways, you should come out and drive one weekend. I think I can have you come twice a year.
We were there on Saturday for the first (4) sessions. Were you there with the Ford GT? That's the easy way to know if we were there at the same time!

Are you friends with Adam? at Doghouse! That R8 is beautiful! I'd love to come back out and meet up. My next scheduled track day is Jan 29/30 at Sebring, but am hoping to do a few shakedowns before then!

I've seen the R get down to a 1:20, but haven't seen some break into the teens yet. But I'd venture to say that your buddy is spot on with a good lap/track conditions and the right tire choice.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

capt_and

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
We were there on Saturday for the first (4) sessions. Were you there with the Ford GT? That's the easy way to know if we were there at the same time!

Are you friends with Adam? at Doghouse! That R8 is beautiful! I'd love to come back out and meet up. My next scheduled track day is Jan 29/30 at Sebring, but am hoping to do a few shakedowns before then!

I've seen the R get down to a 1:20, but haven't seen some break into the teens yet. But I'd venture to say that your buddy is spot on with a good lap/track conditions and the right tire choice.
Hmmm, I was there all day but didn't see you. Were you stuck behind the blue McLaren, grey 911, and an assortment of Corvettes as well?

Yep, I know Adam, he gets front row seat of every time I get over ambitious on Big Bend. I have my car supported at Topp Racing - They are a Porsche race shop that mainly supports cars for the 911 Cup series but they'll work on other cars every now and then.

I'll be at Cresson Dec 15, maybe 16, 29, 30, maybe 31, Jan 13 and 19. I have comp school, and first race, at MSR Houston at the end of January so I'm just trying to get myself and the car prepared.

We probably won't be testing out the 350R till nearly next year but we'll try and do it in good weather but still all stock including tires.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
FP350s Oil Cooler is ordered. This is about to get rowdy.

$681 delivered for those interested.

https://shopcapaldiracing.com/fp350s-oil-cooler/
Reasoning behind the purchase? What is your goal re: oil temps? I'd be interested in this if there is a significant cooling advantage...I see 280-285 temps which FP says is normal, but this would be worth it if we are talking 20 degrees or more drop in temps...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Reasoning behind the purchase? What is your goal re: oil temps? I'd be interested in this if there is a significant cooling advantage...I see 280-285 temps which FP says is normal, but this would be worth it if we are talking 20 degrees or more drop in temps...
Spot on. When I was at COTA in summer I hit limp mode from the heat - temps were north of 293. This cooler is damn near the size of the radiator, so TONS of extra cooling capacity. I haven't seen any feedback from someone using one of these yet on a GT350 - so am interested to see how much it lowers the oil temps. But given its size, I'd be shocked if it's not 20 degrees or more.

It also adds oil capacity. Craig at Capaldi estimated another 2 quarts - so that'll help with oil longevity and cooling.

I am also on the list for the new TrackSpec hood vents - so hopefully between these we'll be able to get oil temps down as well as CHTs.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hmmm, I was there all day but didn't see you. Were you stuck behind the blue McLaren, grey 911, and an assortment of Corvettes as well?

Yep, I know Adam, he gets front row seat of every time I get over ambitious on Big Bend. I have my car supported at Topp Racing - They are a Porsche race shop that mainly supports cars for the 911 Cup series but they'll work on other cars every now and then.

I'll be at Cresson Dec 15, maybe 16, 29, 30, maybe 31, Jan 13 and 19. I have comp school, and first race, at MSR Houston at the end of January so I'm just trying to get myself and the car prepared.

We probably won't be testing out the 350R till nearly next year but we'll try and do it in good weather but still all stock including tires.

Hmmm. it's not ringing a bell. Pretty sure I would've remember the McLaren! Once I get a better idea of my timeline, I'll reach back out and we'll try to connect at the track. Would love to meet you!

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Thanks, I'll look forward to hearing the results. And thanks much for sharing all of this useful information, most appreciated!

Spot on. When I was at COTA in summer I hit limp mode from the heat - temps were north of 293. This cooler is damn near the size of the radiator, so TONS of extra cooling capacity. I haven't seen any feedback from someone using one of these yet on a GT350 - so am interested to see how much it lowers the oil temps. But given its size, I'd be shocked if it's not 20 degrees or more.

It also adds oil capacity. Craig at Capaldi estimated another 2 quarts - so that'll help with oil longevity and cooling.

I am also on the list for the new TrackSpec hood vents - so hopefully between these we'll be able to get oil temps down as well as CHTs.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Does it bolt up?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks, I'll look forward to hearing the results. And thanks much for sharing all of this useful information, most appreciated!
Will keep you updated. Appreciate the kind words :)

Does it bolt up?
Assuming you're referring to the oil cooler? Supposedly it will require a bit of fab work for the bracketry.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...the ceramic coating is a cleaner application that will last the life of the header whereas wrap likely won't. Our headers on the race car were wrapped and it was a mess, with pieces torn and frayed primarily at the collector from bottoming out, but also to a lesser extent in other areas.....just not a good option on a road course car in my opinion. One landscaping adventure and the risk of f'ing up your wrap is pretty high.
Ooh, devil's advocate beckons!:)

Everyone has different experiences here aside from the fact that you'd think it'd be universal. If you Google far and wide you'll find plenty of stories and recommendations for both methods that run counter to one another. My thoughts on your response Chris...

Ceramic coating is very clean in terms of it not reducing available space, however minimal a wrap may add over that of a very thin, baked on coating. I'm assuming the headers you are speaking of were long tube (on the Fox car) and the collectors on that style (and that car) run long and low such that you will at some point scrape them on the ground. The factory GT350 headers are a "shorty" style and as such that isn't a potential issue. If you use the proper hardware supplied by a given wrap company you won't see issues with fraying, ie narrow stainless band clamps. Go agricultural all you want - no impact on a wrap on a GT350 because of it. Wrap it tightly and clamp it properly (DEI sells a tool to really cinch down their band straps tight) and the wrap will stay consistent for a very long time through repeated heat cycling. Another plus to wrap - relatively inexpensive and easy to tweak if you do have to maintain it in some fashion.

z20181206_170729-X3.jpg

I tried ceramic coated headers on my own Fox body. I scratch built a 302 engine and used JetHot ceramic shorties from FRPP. They were very easy on the eyes when new.

jethot-L.jpg

jethot1-L.jpg

jethot3-L.jpg

Car ran great. I never drove it in the rain or snow. I parked it in a warm garage and let the car sit for a number of years. Only put about 500 miles on the engine you see up above. I'm going through the car again, this time from top to bottom. The ceramic shorties today...

20181211_174035-X3.jpg

20181212_160912-X3.jpg

20181212_160920-X3.jpg

20181212_160926-X3.jpg

20181212_160946-X3.jpg

Engine was tuned properly, didn't run lean, etc. I honestly feel that a wrap is more effective in terms of controlling heat than a coating as much as it may not look as slick. I see some have seen cracking issues and some haven't. We have also seen stock GT350 manifolds crack without any coating or wrap.

I do like the fact that you can grind the ceramic coating down and etch it for plain old paint.:) I was actually cleaning these up last night. I hit them with a wire wheel and then some caustic solution that neutralizes any corrosion.

20181212_174709-X3.jpg

20181212_174914-X3.jpg

And at $25 a can it isn't cheap but this as as good as it gets. I'll preheat the headers and paint a couple of coats. It won't last forever but touchup is easy. And great prep for a wrap.

20181212_180001-X3.jpg

Just my experience.

Last edited: