Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
That track looks like a blast! Bummed to hear that the APR splitter caused problems. What do you attachment points look like up front?

Good to hear on the AOA. My next event is COTA (2 days), so I'll gather some more data as well. Although with a high speed down the back straight of 160+, I'll probably run a lower AOA. Unfortunate to hear about the splitter falling off. Have you considered filling the gap between the bottom the OEM splitter and the top of the APR splitter? I've started to shear off the nuts on bottom of the support rods as well.

I added nylon furniture movers (epoxy'd on the bottom of the splitter) to help protect the bolts. After 1 day at RA, I had to replace 2 of them, so don't know if they'll make the cut. I've thought about getting a metal dowel and cutting discs off of it to achieve the same thing.
20180829_215748.jpg

I also filled the gap between the splitters. I used duct tape at RA and if felt like it helped increase stability. Obviously duct tape is not a long term solution, so I am now giving some black latex-based caulking and 2in foam a try.
20180830_192048.jpg
20180830_213459.jpg

By chance do you have any pics of your setup?

Wow. That must have been quite hairy! Road Atlanta is a really intense track - can't imagine having my first laps under race pace. How'd you like running ChumpCar? Buddies and I are in the process of buying an SN95 Mustang for Lucky Dog Racing. Pretty excited!
What is holding the support rod to the bumper?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are those Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3?
Not yet. These are the 315/30R19 Cup2s that are standard for the R rear wheels. Got the entire set for $940 shipped, so couldn't resist. Will be looking at the Porsche spec or NT01s after these.

What is holding the support rod to the bumper?
REALLY big washers. I think they're 1.5in diameter. This splitter isn't large to put a ton of stress on the car. If you went another 5-6in out, I'd probably want to tie into the impact bar.

Reactions: TDC

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Not yet. These are the 315/30R19 Cup2s that are standard for the R rear wheels. Got the entire set for $940 shipped, so couldn't resist. Will be looking at the Porsche spec or NT01s after these.

REALLY big washers. I think they're 1.5in diameter. This splitter isn't large to put a ton of stress on the car. If you went another 5-6in out, I'd probably want to tie into the impact bar.
Did you remove the bumper? Sorry if this is covered in your video.

Edit. I watched your video.i see there is another splitter available on Ebay out of plastic im considering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did you remove the bumper? Sorry if this is covered in your video.

Edit. I watched your video.i see there is another splitter available on Ebay out of plastic im considering.
Yep - you'll definitely need to remove the bumper. It's not too bad, tbh. 30 mins and you can have it off. Definitely worth it for the access!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
So do you recommmend your set up.
I just got a R splitter so I am debating doing the APR or the Ebay one but I am not sure either sticks out far enough? Also worried ill shatter the CF on the ground?

I would like to install the splitter in a way that if I go off it doesnt damage any of the stock mounting points.

I am thinking about the same wing also. Though I might just do the splitter for a little while.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I just got a R splitter so I am debating doing the APR or the Ebay one but I am not sure either sticks out far enough? Also worried ill shatter the CF on the ground?

I would like to install the splitter in a way that if I go off it doesnt damage any of the stock mounting points.

I am thinking about the same wing also. Though I might just do the splitter for a little while.
What are you trying to fix?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
What are you trying to fix?
Fix? nothing I am pissing money into the wind like most car guys:). I wanted the R splitter got it for a good price and down the rabbit hole we go!!

The only real issue i have with the cars handling is turn in could be a little better but I think thats a front sway bar.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Fix? nothing I am pissing money into the wind like most car guys:). I wanted the R splitter got it for a good price and down the rabbit hole we go!!

The only real issue i have with the cars handling is turn in could be a little better but I think thats a front sway bar.
Well hell, cant argue against that

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Do you have a link to the eBay splitter? I ran the splitter without the APR wing at MSR-C and was a fan of how it felt. I'd agree with you - anything that can be done to tighten up turn in is a bonus. I have to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in the sway bar for turn in. More on body roll (high speed body turns are more predictable and quick left-right/right-left actions are tighter).

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Do you have a link to the eBay splitter? I ran the splitter without the APR wing at MSR-C and was a fan of how it felt. I'd agree with you - anything that can be done to tighten up turn in is a bonus. I have to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in the sway bar for turn in. More on body roll (high speed body turns are more predictable and quick left-right/right-left actions are tighter).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-SPLI...=item41ee064e83:g:iooAAOSw3YpboEB6:rk:36:pf:0

was a fan or was not a fan?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I was a fan. It felt great.

Interesting...looks like it's a tiny bit smaller in size than the APR splitter, But the fit and finish looks better to me. I'd be tempted by the eBay one, tbh. I wonder if they'd be willing to make a bigger one.

APR Splitter caulking part 2.jpg
Close-up of APR caulk.JPG
high tech foam.jpg
Yeah I was wondering the same or moving it a inch or 2 forward and drilling new holes.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah I was wondering the same or moving it a inch or 2 forward and drilling new holes.
Another option is to just make one out of ABS plastic. I am considering that for my next route as well.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What are your alignment settings?