Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Custom front crash bar/tow hook setup is complete. Bar is right up against the bumper, maximizing clearance to the radiator for the future ducting. Not the most meticulously fabricated piece, but it should be plenty strong and super functional.

IMG_2659.JPG

I have the wiring 98% buttoned up - just need to document final install. Also got the new pedal box in - just working on some plumbing changes now. Will share more details tonight/tomorrow AM.

Getting closer to first start and (hopefully) test drive!
Looks like we finally found a Shelby GT350 with dual air intakes!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
More progress. The wiring is done. Just need to start the car and verify before I heat shrink the remaining boots. Will take pics tonight after I clean up the mess I made yesterday chasing a few pins/sockets that had been swapped.

I did relocate the reservoir tank to the cage for easy access/checking. No spillage in the car and still out of the way.

IMG_2675.JPG

The only thing left is some clean up on the pedal box and she's ready to start. Still waiting on the base tune and getting scheduled at the dyno. Really hope to fire it up this week/weekend. We'll see.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
More progress. The wiring is done. Just need to start the car and verify before I heat shrink the remaining boots. Will take pics tonight after I clean up the mess I made yesterday chasing a few pins/sockets that had been swapped.

I did relocate the reservoir tank to the cage for easy access/checking. No spillage in the car and still out of the way.

IMG_2675.JPG

The only thing left is some clean up on the pedal box and she's ready to start. Still waiting on the base tune and getting scheduled at the dyno. Really hope to fire it up this week/weekend. We'll see.
Would love to hear the startup if youā€™re able to share a video! Everything looks great so far

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to hear the startup if youā€™re able to share a video! Everything looks great so far
We are so excited!!! Startup vid!!!!!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
We are so excited!!! Startup vid!!!!!
my base tune is on the to-do list tomorrow from my tuner, so should be happening soon! Getting really itchy to get it fired up and make sure it doesnā€™t immediately grenade šŸ˜‚

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
my base tune is on the to-do list tomorrow from my tuner, so should be happening soon! Getting really itchy to get it fired up and make sure it doesnā€™t immediately grenade šŸ˜‚
It wonā€™t grenade! It will be a fabulous delicious startup.
Just donā€™t forget fluids šŸ˜‚šŸ«£

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Got the wiring buttoned up last night and happy with how everything came out considering it's me. I'll do an in-depth overview video of what's what and how they all integrate in a future overview video. Running like mad to get the car fired this week

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was down all weekend with a monster migraine that came out of nowhere - so lost a few days. But got back at it on Monday after work as was able to make some headway.

I finally finished up the pedal box install. As mentioned in a previous post, I upgraded to the Tilton 850 series underfoot pedal setup for two reasons - one, the 76 series master cylinders that are used on the 600 series I bought are not "recommended" for use with ABS systems. Either that wasn't on the listing when I bought the pedal kit a year or two ago or I missed it completely (probably the latter). Second, I never could find a way to make it fit with a pedal cover/false floor like I wanted. Here's a picture of the original 600 Series install (ignore the Deutsch connectors - they had just fallen from above).
IMG_2481.jpeg

While it doesn't look too bad in that photo - the truth was the OEM gas pedal was constantly hitting the foot well pan and the much bigger issue was that to get it to fit like that required a gap of 2-3 inches underneath it.
IMG_2482.jpeg

This is the best photo I can find showing what i mean
IMG_2483.jpeg

This is much "lift" above the floor was required to make it work. Really didn't like the result
IMG_2500.jpeg

Here's the new setup. Much cleaner, I think. Plus, the pedals feels better :)
IMG_2707.jpeg

Lastly on the brake front - I changed out the OEM connectors going to the wheel speed sensors some autosports. The boots provide much better strain relief as well a more reliable connection.
IMG_2684.jpeg

And lastly for tonight - I got a bit further on the rear bulkhead/firewall. Hopefully can finish up tomorrow or Thursday.

IMG_2706.jpeg

Still waiting on a tune to fire the car. The weight is killing me. Sigh

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
FInal fitment of the rear bulkhead before I took it out to paint. It's drying now and should be ready to go in for the final time tomorrow. Awhhh ya.

IMG_2715.jpeg

Also - got a special delivery today. I have a bit of an ambitious exhaust project to try and squeeze into the next couple weeks and some titanium bullet mufflers are just what the doctor ordered. I'm hoping to lower the tone of the engine note a bit and remove some of that rasp/metallic sound that somes with long tubes and catless midpipes. After I heard the much larger Ti mufflers on @Tonymustang302 's car, I knew they were going to be the ticket. The do wonders for rasp and that metallic sound. While his bigger mufflers also helped tone down the volume a lot - i'm told these won't do much on that front.

IMG_2716.jpeg

I have a bit of an ambitious place for the exits :)

IMG_2718.jpeg
IMG_2717.jpeg