Sponsored

Honest Comparison GT500 ZL1 1lE (THIS IS NOT A TROLL POST)

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
This is long. I'm post op sinus surgery stuck on the couch.....help me out I really have nothing better I can do.

I have two Hellcats and a GT350. A ZL1 1LE has been calling my name for a long time. I'm in the ZL1 1LE vs Gt500 mental debate and would like to discuss it with some of the people most informed on the subject. I belong to Hellcatforum.org....the will tell me both suck. I belong to Camaro6 they will tell me of course it's the ZL1. I suspect I'll get it's the GT500 here but here but I expect this crowd to be the most well informed on the new GT500 and I know a few have at least driven it in Vegas or taken delivery now.

The problem is I can get a brand new 2020 Zl1 1LE in the A10 transmission for 61k. Is the GT500 worth the premium with even and MSRP deal base model costing 80K? I've driven the Manual ZLE (for short) and loved it. That being said I bought a GT350 instead. Mostly because it felt more special and it was something very different than what i currently owned and I got it for a better deal. At the time 68K was the best ZLE deal out there and I paid 55900 OTD for a 2019 GT350.

Performance wise the cars I think are going to be very very close. Ford says 3.3 0-60 and 10.7 1/4 mile. We've seen 3.3 via stangmode and 10.6 twice now. Motor trend says 3.6 and 11.4 in their testing which is close to their ZL1 testing of 3.3 and 11.4. Both on unprepared surfaces as MT does. The 500 puts down 760hp so it's up by 110 but it's down 25lbs of torque and it weighs close to 400lbs more depending on your source being Ford or a kid on youtube. All in all it points to a very close match up. The ZLE has a big wang that produces I believe slightly more down force than the Fords and does so with out adding 18500 dollars to the equation. It also wears massive 325 wide tires out back that I can say from experience hook very well even in first gear. The Ford has the Dual clutch which by all accounts is phenomenal. The A10 Zl1 is also by all accounts amazing.....see the most recent lightning lap testing. The ZLE has proven on track performance at the Ring and many others. The GT500 no doubt in my mind will be as good or very close and perhaps slightly better in the CFTP variety but it seems Ford has no interest in official lap time testing and for whatever reason other publications aren't sharing the numbers either. Ford will be and is faster in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and probably the standing mile. After that it's limited to 180 whereas the ZLE tops out officially at 199 with it's non 1LE brother at 202. Who cares? I do a little bit as somebody who has taken his Hellcat to the Kennedy Space center for 2 mile runs and has had both Cats well past the 180mph mark on more than one occasion. Is it that important? No....but it's another measuring stick for the comparison. Even with the GT500 being definitively faster in the 1/4 its worth noting after years of trying ZL1 owners have only managed 10.9s in a stock form much to their dismay and even on a drag radial. Relevant because the ZL1 has good traction control and torque management that helps it hook up in the real world but that hurt it on a prepped surface. I wonder if the Gt500 will be the same or if it will truly benefit from a Drag Radial. The Hellcat is the opposite. It NEEDS a drag radial and benefits significantly from it.

I've seen both interiors. The Camaros recaros are a bit nicer being electrically adjustable and heated and cooled but I rather like the interior of my 2019 GT350 with the carbon fiber and the GT500s is a bit nicer with the better recaros. All in all I think its a wash. The visibility is TERRIBLE in the camaro but I've driven it with no issues and I'm not buying the car to go sight seeing in. The ride is not so great but IMHO not so bad either. The 500 will no doubt be more livable on the street though and certainly for passengers.

All this being said and if you are still with me (thank you) I think the GT500 is the better car and like the 350 will feel more special. But is it 20-60K more special? At the high end of that is room for a nice truck or a significant down payment on say a 65 Cobra (replica of course BackDraft of Superformance) or Ariel atom. Then of course there is the trying to get one game. All rational thinking points me to the ZL1 but this isn't a rational thing.....this is the need for speed and the passion for automobiles. Something greater that the 500 will come eventually. It may even be soon with the C8 Z06. The mental debate continues. The greatest mustang ever built or the greatest Camaro ever built? I have no brand loyalty but I do love and respect Carol Shelby and the history tied to the car even though it's very much Ford Performance product now. Let's not forget also, a Cobra is much cooler than alphabet soup. Interested in constructive thoughts.....hell at this point even A-hole comments would be entertaining.
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I am by no means a Camaro fan but I *LOVE* the ZL1. Very badass ride.

If you don't mind waiting, get the GT500. If not, that ZL1 is not too shabby as an alternative. Just don't try to rest your elbow out the window :p

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm still looking at a potential engine rebuild on my GT350 with heads, cams, and supporting valvetrain system. I can't fully exploit the 500's power on a road course. Hell I probably can't even with the 350. Yet...

But if I were to buy one with actual money, GT500 or ZL1 1LE in my current situation, the Z would be going to my driveway. Cost...it's just as simple as that. The GT500 is so goddamn expensive.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still looking at a potential engine rebuild on my GT350 with heads, cams, and supporting valvetrain system. I can't fully exploit the 500's power on a road course. Hell I probably can't even with the 350. Yet...

But if I were to buy one with actual money, GT500 or ZL1 1LE in my current situation, the Z would be going to my driveway. Cost...it's just as simple as that. The GT500 is so goddamn expensive.
Interesting you brought that up. I've spoken to Fathouse Fab at length on the phone about and 800R package with Motec and some supporting cooling mods to make the Gt350 trackable still. It would be costly but a beast and very unique which I like. But having the car now it's so great in stock form I hesitate to change it. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with my 850whp modded Hellcat. Mods can be expensive and painful at times.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
762: Good read and to my way of thinking, your logic is sound. But it really isn't about the extra money, it's about THE CAR and from every report so far, "amazing" seems like a put down. I personally believe that FP convinced management that they NEEDED to build this Shelby which may very well be the last ICE version. So, it boils down to "what you want." If you'll be kicking yourself for years after paying too much for anything, it will never have been worth it. But, if the car is more important than the price, well that's where virtually all of those who ordered one, are. They know this is a very, very special car and can't wait to get behind the wheel of their own.

PS. When I read "762," I think of AK-47's. :-)

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I can tell you right now that it won’t be anywhere near close in straight line performance. Stock zl1 performance is nearly about the same as a full bolt on A10 GT on e85.

Hennesseys HPE850 kit on the zl1 runs a little more than a 10th faster than the GT500 @ less MPH on DRs.

The weight difference is a lot less than 400lbs. A10 ZL1 weighs 3944lbs according to Chevy. GT500 seems to have been overshot by Ford. The handling spec base model comes out to 4080 on a scale used by Speed Phenom.

If your chasing top speed, a tune is your answer. If not then just get the ZL1.

Last edited:

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
For me it was not necessarily about performance of the 500 vs the Zl1 when I decided to purchase the 500. I knew the performance would be there and it would have more power than I will ever capitalize on.

It is more about the superior styling, design, pedigree, and future of the Mustang and 500. The price difference and immediate availability was also not an issue for me.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Do you drag/track these cars? I ask because you really have to ask yourself if all this money is worth it to chase a few tenths of a second that you will only really notice on the track or a drag strip.

My opinion on this is that, on paper, the ZL1/LE looks like the performance bargain of the year. I have no loyalty to any company, I liked my C7 a lot and am not a Ford fanboy or GM hater.

But... Everytime I keep thinking I will go buy a Gen6 Camaro I go drive one/look into it and... Well I love how the gen6 Camaro drives. Awesome suspension. The engine in either the SS or ZL1 is a strong motor that has proven to be reliable and makes strong torque. The manual in the Camaro is better than the Corvette. It has good technology too, with things like blind spot monitoring, heated/cooled seats, HUD, etc.

But... I cannot stand the visibility. You feel very isolated and confined. With blind spot monitoring it's not a huge deal changing lanes, but I don't like the vault like feeling inside the cabin.

And in the end as much as I love how the car drives, I don't love the overall looks of the car. It does nothing for me. And if I don't really love the car I just don't see myself getting excited about driving it for a couple of years. Now counter that to the GT350/500. I love the looks of these cars and it just speaks to me. The higher revving engine is more suited to me even if you give up some torque.

I think it will come down to personal preference. On paper the Zl1 looks so strong, but if you don't love the car your better off spending a little more on what you want.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
762: Good read and to my way of thinking, your logic is sound. But it really isn't about the extra money, it's about THE CAR and from every report so far, "amazing" seems like a put down. I personally believe that FP convinced management that they NEEDED to build this Shelby which may very well be the last ICE version. So, it boils down to "what you want." If you'll be kicking yourself for years after paying too much for anything, it will never have been worth it. But, if the car is more important than the price, well that's where virtually all of those who ordered one, are. They know this is a very, very special car and can't wait to get behind the wheel of their own.

PS. When I read "762," I think of AK-47's. :-)
I'm a retired Marine so the 762 is a caliber reference just not to the enemies caliber. Lol. more of the 7.62x51mm NATO variety.

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks
This is long. I'm post op sinus surgery stuck on the couch.....help me out I really have nothing better I can do.

I have two Hellcats and a GT350. A ZL1 1LE has been calling my name for a long time. I'm in the ZL1 1LE vs Gt500 mental debate and would like to discuss it with some of the people most informed on the subject. I belong to Hellcatforum.org....the will tell me both suck. I belong to Camaro6 they will tell me of course it's the ZL1. I suspect I'll get it's the GT500 here but here but I expect this crowd to be the most well informed on the new GT500 and I know a few have at least driven it in Vegas or taken delivery now.

All this being said and if you are still with me (thank you) I think the GT500 is the better car and like the 350 will feel more special. But is it 20-60K more special? At the high end of that is room for a nice truck or a significant down payment on say a 65 Cobra (replica of course BackDraft of Superformance) or Ariel atom. Then of course there is the trying to get one game. All rational thinking points me to the ZL1 but this isn't a rational thing.....this is the need for speed and the passion for automobiles. Something greater that the 500 will come eventually. It may even be soon with the C8 Z06. The mental debate continues. The greatest mustang ever built or the greatest Camaro ever built? I have no brand loyalty but I do love and respect Carol Shelby and the history tied to the car even though it's very much Ford Performance product now. Let's not forget also, a Cobra is much cooler than alphabet soup. Interested in constructive thoughts.....hell at this point even A-hole comments would be entertaining.

If you really dont have a significant preference:

ORDER BOTH of them just the way you want them spec'd out. Keep the first one you get delivery on and then cancell the second one.
Picking one and being held in limbo with no choice but to wait , without information ,is not a nice place to be. Both are awesome and both will make you happy.

Odds are the GT500 is what you want because you can't easily have it without some work. She's CURRENTLY the prettiest girl at the dance. But there are other dances and other prettiest girls. The C8 Zo6 down the road will be quite attractive.

IF YOU LIKE THE LATEST, buy the GT500 now and swap to the next generation Z06. Ofcourse ,money and value are not an issue in this approach. grin.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
That too, 762 and of course, I didn't mean to impune the rep of the Marine Corps or their cartridge. (I was trained by USMC DI's at Pensacola so I'm sorta kinda part Marine. <grin>) My wife says I think and act like one.

Truth is, I just shoot local matches with a bunch of AK'ers so I hear a lot about 762x39.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@thill444 Yes I do both track and drag race as well as I have plans to return to KSC and perhaps some other speed events. Don't really do 1/2 miles because the speed isn't significant enough vs just the 1/4 mile to warrant the cost unless you're driving a heavily modded car. I mostly agree with all you say. It is what makes this decision difficult. Time frame not that much of a factor. I just purchased the 350 and am closing on a new house this month (need a bigger garage) so I'm realistically a year out on buying another car anyway. Thanks for your input. And thank you all for keeping me entertained with relevant discussion points.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I would only get the ZL1 in a manual.
They are great looking cars and are fast.
If you don’t plan on tracking just get the base GT500.
It will be way faster and nicer to drive.
If you want to track a lot then I would try for the CFTP GT500 or a Manual ZL1 1LE

That’s my opinion.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That too, 762 and of course, I didn't mean to impune the rep of the Marine Corps or their cartridge. (I was trained by USMC DI's at Pensacola so I'm sorta kinda part Marine. <grin>) My wife says I think and act like one.

Truth is, I just shoot local matches with a bunch of AK'ers so I hear a lot about 762x39.
Nothing wrong with a good ol' AK I'm just pulling your leg. I used to shoot a lot of competitive 3 gun and USPSA but not many AKs in those sports at a high level but I always thought there should be. So much fun why not. Hell I know a guy who runs and M1 Garand at a pace you wouldn't believe. Pcola? You a Naval Aviator by chance or do OCS there? I'm a prior enlisted turned Marine Aviator myself.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Wait for the Zo6.:lipssealed: If you can't wait. Only you can answer the value question. Performance, the Stang. Value in my mind. The camaro. Im a cheap skate. Good luck.
Sponsored