Sponsored

Home maintenance vs dealership

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Was just curious to see how many people do their own maintenance at home or if you go to the dealership or elsewhere.
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I let the dealer do it until the warranty runs out,
then it’s all me 😬

***caveat is I have a really good dealer,
without that I would do it all myself***

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
You used the word "maintenance". You letting the dealer perform the maintenance? Or just warranty repairs?

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Was just curious to see how many people do their own maintenance at home or if you go to the dealership or elsewhere.
I avoid my dealerships service at all costs unless it's warranty work. My last two visits were them mounting a back wheel on the front of my car, and before that I got a flat tire from their parking lot lol.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
yeah i dont trust anyone to care enough so i do everything myself. will actually take wheels off the car to have tires mounted.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. If only there was a good dealership around that I trusted. I just let them give me the free oil changes and that’s about it. Going to be changing the oil again so I need to find some decent ramps.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the easiest way to keep track of everything in case you need warranty work?

Thought about just making a dedicated file on the PC and scanning/dating receipts.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
What’s the easiest way to keep track of everything in case you need warranty work?

Thought about just making a dedicated file on the PC and scanning/dating receipts.
3 ring binder, cheap, easy to use, easy to make copies if needed, great at resale, great if warranty work is needed, no worrying if the hard drive fails, or printer is out of ink.
I have done this with every vehicle I own, along with gas receipts , I do photocopy any receipts that are thermal paper that fades.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 ring binder, cheap, easy to use, easy to make copies if needed, great at resale, great if warranty work is needed, no worrying if the hard drive fails, or printer is out of ink.
I have done this with every vehicle I own, along with gas receipts , I do photocopy any receipts that are thermal paper that fades.
Jesus. That’s organized alright lol.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
After first oil change it came back with muddy towel swirls (even though they were instructed not to 'wash' it). Oil filter was loose and leaking.

Interior work (head unit replacement and TSB for seat coolers) added a couple of deep scratches in the center console and another in the glove box door.

I switched to doing it all myself. Took the tires only to have new ones mounted. Found a local buddy to do alignments with extra care bit to mutilate the wheels when attaching the alignment sensors.

I even performed a minor warranty elegible repair myself so I didn't have to take it in.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Jesus. That’s organized alright lol.
Fuel receipts show proof of low mileage , might not be as big a deal now with the digital odom. but on the mechanical that can be rolled back, it made it easy to prove the miles on the car. That car the oil aged out almost never needed to be changed because of miles driven between changes.
Car was used mostly on road courses, so the mileage was very low for a 33 year old vehicle.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Never owned American until a few months ago, but I think there have been enough posts so far to keep me from visiting Ford much lol.
Lexus has been amazing in my area, Toyota has been trust worthy, Nissan - not so much, so now I drive 40min south for the wife’s services at a more trust worthy Nissan dealer (brand new, so maintain warranty).

Mustang is mainly a track car, so I think I’ll just do everything myself. Already had the wheels and tires off more times than all my other cars combined the past 5 years LOL.
Oil change #3 is needed already, at 3,000 miles on the clock lol.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I do the same thing. 3 ring binder with any receipts and a maintenance log. Although I keep a scanned copy of each document in my storage cloud as anything could happen to a paper copy. A fire, water damage, theft, etc.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT

in the fordpass app you can enter in your maintenance records including receipts.
Sponsored