Sponsored

Holiday Project Four - Decontamination, Polishing & Coating a Ranger Wildrack

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's funny how a wax, sealant or coating "tells you" when it's about done. The Collinite 845 I applied just under 12 months ago, and maintained with several spray sealants, has given its best by now. I have been putting this job off until I had the time to do it properly. It's also been on two long road trips in the last two weeks, so with those out of the way, it was time to get it back into shape, or DFB Spec. Although, having said that, this is not a car I am invested in, so it won't quite be full-DFB spec. I say that, and then usually get carried away, so let's see how that pans out. :giggle:

A large part of this job will be the decontamination process, exaggerated by the generous peppering of bug splatter picked up over the last two weeks............

IMG-7066.jpg

IMG-7067.jpg

IMG-7068.jpg

IMG-7071.jpg

I started with cleaning the wheels as usual, Brake Buster from the foam cannon, using Undressed for the tyres.

IMG-3401.jpg

With the wheels taken care of, it was onto those bugs. In this case, I pre-soaked them with Koch Chemie Insect Remover followed by foaming the entire car down with soap to dwell for several minutes.

IMG-7076.jpg

Usually, by the time I have rinsed out my wheel cleaning tools and bucket, it's time to rinse the soap off. This process removed the bulk of the bugs and road film prior to re-foaming the car and starting the contact wash. Today, the soap of choice was Obsessed Garage Decontamination Soap.

Obsessed Garage Decontamination Soap (detailingshed.com.au)
Pressure Washer Decontamination Soap | Obsessed Garage

IMG-7080.jpg

I love this soap! It has plenty of bite for jobs like this. As you will see later, it doesn't completely remove the remaining protection, but it certainly gives it a scare. The following steps help complete that stripping process. The first of which is the iron-decon step.

IMG-7084.jpg

In the sprayer today is Gyeon Iron. I bought a 4-liter bottle of this several months ago for jobs like this where larger quantities of the product are used. Gyeon Iron was the cheapest of all the larger size iron removers including Carpro IronX, P&S Iron Buster and Meguiar's Clay Spray among others. Today I found out why this is cheaper, Gyeon don't lace this product with a scent to cover up at least some of the stench. This is a raw, unscented iron remover that would be the worst smelling iron remover I have used so far.

Once the iron remover was rinsed away, I clayed the car with a Waxit Clay Mitt and Meguiar's Final Inspection. This is a BIG car, so I used a whole 500ml of Final Inspection. I also really love using this clay mitt, can certainly recommend and it's also very reasonably priced. Once the whole car was clayed, including the glass, I foamed the car with Carpro Reset and rinsed to remove any remaining chemical residue.

Get Waxit Clay Mitt Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-7087.jpg

IMG-7088.jpg

In a technical sense, the following step should have been done after the wheels but................I forgot. :facepalm: Did it need doing? Probably not, at least it will be clean for the service department. I am of course talking about the engine bay, which I rinsed with the pressure washer, sprayed with Green Star APC, agitated with brushes and then rinsed clean. I then followed up with a generous spray down with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing diluted to 3:1 for a satin finish. The bonnet is then closed and that's how I leave it!

IMG-7091.jpg

After a blow down with the Big Boi, which took longer than usual due to the diminished water beading, I then further dried the car with a wipe down using Carpro Eraser and TRC Gauntlet drying towel.

Now, I had considered not bothering to polish the car, in fact I never have with this car. This is my fathers car, and to be frank, he wouldn't notice the difference anyway. But............I went ahead with the polishing step, mainly because I had the time and wanted to see how Carpro Essence works.

So, it was out with the masking tape in preparation. Compared to my Ranger with it's plethora of unpainted black plastic, this Ranger is much simpler to mask up. On a Wildtrack, the mirror caps, door handles, grill and fender vents are painted in a grey accent colour compared to the raw black plastic on mine, so these don't really need to be masked up. The flipside is that they need polishing, give a little, take a little.

IMG-7101.jpg

All that preparation work makes the polishing step easier and safer, it feels good to reach that moment.

IMG-7108.jpg

For the most part, the car wash polished with Carpro Essense, a primer polish in the same mold as the Gyeon Primer I used last week. One could say they are the same product considering the two brands are made in the same factory, but they are definitely different products, more on that in a moment. You will also notice I have Sonax Perfect Finish on the cart, which was used on a couple of locations in need of additional cutting ability.

IMG-7113.jpg

IMG-7118.jpg

I have actually used Carpro Essense briefly before to repair some strange ghosting on a bonnet, so I kinda knew what it was like to work with.

Compared to Gyeon Primer, Essence is much nicer to work with and does not create dusting. It also offers more corrective ability depending on your pad choice and working time, while also offering some filling ability. Essence can actually be used as a stand-alone product, polishing and protecting in one step, as in an "all-in-one". However, it's main role is to lay a foundation for ceramic coatings, including ceramic-based spray sealants like Reload. Silver naturally hides most dirt and defects, but I'm very impressed with how Essence enhanced the look of the paint on this car without going to the trouble of multi-step correction or more heavy one-step compounds.

Important to note that there are two versions of Essence, the original described here and the non-abrasive Esscence Plus that is designed for maintaining a ceramic coating.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/carpro-essence-250ml?variant=12268442052
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/carpro-essence-plus?variant=39623944962137

This car with its big, wide panels meant using the larger polisher was more efficient. Last week it was the opposite, the smaller 3-inch machine getting more use. The front bumper on the other hand is so complex that I did this in full with the Nano in D/A mode. The front bumper is always last for me, mainly because I hate doing them so much. Pad choice was the Shine Mate blue and the Rupes yellow on the Nano.

IMG-7121.jpg

With the paint knocked out, it was onto a quick pass over the glass with P&S Clarity Creme. Like last week, I teamed this with a blue Lake Country HDO pad on the LHR75. This polisher is a beast on glass and feels so natural to use.

IMG-7123.jpg

IMG-7126.jpg

After giving the car a light wipe over with an Eraser-soaked towel to remove any polish splatter and tape residue, this is where I decided to leave it for today.

IMG-7130.jpg

As mentioned, I was not going for perfection with the paint, I just wanted to enhance and prime the surface for coating. The combination of the mild corrective ability with its filling qualities, I'm really happy with how Essence performed here.

Tomorrow, Ceramic Coating the paint, applying a glass sealant before cleaning the interior and touching up several other little areas. And yes, I am having fun! :like:
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I don't know WHERE you find the energy D, but my hat's off to ya! The Wildtrack looks spectacular.

You keep me up to date on products, that's for sure <grinning>, and I hadn't heard of Essence. I DO love Perfect Finish and looking forward to the polishing report.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Holiday Project Four - Decontamination, Polishing & Coating the Wildtrack Part 2

A relaxed start to today's proceedings and I have been blessed with lovely mild weather for this job.

I began with a wipe down using Carpro Eraser. The car was largely covered overnight, so this step is about ensuring a clean surface for coating. Even though I used a primer polish that leaves something behind, Carpro and Gyeon still recommend a wipe down with their prep spray.

IMG-7148.jpg

Towel of choice is my regular polishing towel, the TRC Creature Edgeless. I love this towel for its versatility, it also does service as my softer interior towel and door jamb drying towel and is decent value for money.

Shop The Rag Company - Creature Edgeless Value Bundle - Premium 70/30 Blend, Plush Dual Pile Microfiber Detailing Towel - 5 PACK Online - CarCareCo (AUS)
Creature Edgeless Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company (USA)
Search: 6 results found for "creature edgeless" – CleanandShiny (UK)

I had two choices for the coating, having just enough Gyeon Pure EVO remaining from last week and plenty of Gyeon Can Coat EVO. Ultimately, I wanted to have both coatings running side by side in terms of observing their qualities and characteristics. In a technical sense, this Ranger should probably have been coated in the more durable Pure, and the Jag in Can Coat. However, it will be interesting to see how Can Coat performs in conditions other than garage queen statis.

IMG-7144.jpg

IMG-7150.jpg

Can Coat is also simpler to apply than traditional ceramic coatings, being a spray, wipe and buff application. Some would argue that it's not a real coating, and I can appreciate that sentiment. The water behavior that Can Coat exhibits would beg to differ.

Now, the Gyeon recommended application is to use a folded towel to work the product into the panel, I personally prefer to apply the product with a microfiber brick. The initial application involves 4 -5 sprays to prime the brick, from then onwards 2 - 3 sprays is all that is needed per panel. Never apply the product directly to the car, also never spray the applicator close to the vehicle. I had my cart set up away from the car, returning to the cart after each panel to reapply. The product is wiped on, then wiped off immediately with a low pile towel.

IMG-7153.jpg

Again, such a big vehicle takes a while to get around. The hooded rear sailplane that shades the rear window was a pain throughout the detail, necessitating a need to climb in and out of the tub to deal with the top and underside of this part, as well as dealing with the glass.

After the paint and trim was coated, I coated the glass with my go-to glass sealant, Gyeon Quick View. Same as last week, CanCoat could have been used here instead, but I just really like using Quick View.

IMG-7155.jpg

From here on, the rest of the detail focused on more regular tasks. Due to focusing on the exterior decontamination, I forgot to wash the rubber floor mats. So, this was the first step in regard to the interior, using a Detail Factory Tire brush and McKee's Floor Mat Rejuvenator. Both products should be in your arsenal if you have rubber floor mats.

McKee's 37 Floor Mat and Cargo Liner Rejuvenator - 650ml – The Detail Store (AUS)
MCKEE'S 37 | Floor Mat & Cargo Liner Rejuvenator | Car Supplies Warehouse (USA)

Detail Factory Tyre Tire Brush – The Detail Store (AUS)
Detail Factory - Tire Scrub Brush | The Rag Company (USA)
Detail Factory Tire Scrub Brush – CleanandShiny (UK)

IMG-7157.jpg

IMG-7158.jpg

Finishing off the mats, I applied Koch Chemie GUF to add some luster back to them without inducing slipperiness.

Koch-Chemie Gummifix Guf Interior Plastic Care, Non-Slip for Rubber fl (detailingshed.com.au) (AUS)
Gummifix | Koch-Chemie

IMG-7187.jpg

As mentioned in the last post, this car has been used full up for a couple of road trips, so it needed just a little more than usual. After a vacuum, I started by cleaning the leather. Typically, all I need here is an all-in-one type product, Bowden's Leather Love being my go-to. Today, I used Koch Chemie Pol Star at 5:1 with a VLB brush.

Koch Chemie Pol Star PO – Textile, Leather & Alcantara Cleaner 1L/5L (detailingshed.com.au) (AUS)
Koch-Chemie - Pol Star | The Rag Company (USA)
Buy Koch Chemie Pol Star Textile, Leather & Alcantara Cleaner 1 Litre – CleanandShiny (UK)

Leather & Vinyl Interior Scrub Brush (safe) (detailingshed.com.au) (AUS)
Vinyl & Leather Interior Scrub Brush | The Rag Company (USA)

IMG-7162.jpg

Pol Star is a pH neutral textile cleaner that can be adjusted to suit cleaning needs. I like how this foams up under agitation and then wipes away to a clean, matte finish. For big interiors, it's also very good value for money.

IMG-7163.jpg

IMG-7164.jpg

IMG-7166.jpg

Finishing off the leather, I used NV Nourish, again a product I like for it's low sheen finish.

IMG-7175.jpg

Normally I would then wipe the interior plastics down with something like Carpro InnerQD or Koch Chemie ASC. Again, I felt several areas needed a proper clean today, P&S Express was used here aided by a Detail Factory brush where required. I love the smell of Express!

IMG-7168.jpg

IMG-7171.jpg

I then followed that with a wipe down with Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer, I like this over a dressing because a) it's quicker and b) that is leaves a matte finish. QID also leaves behind a small amount of UV protection.

IMG-7179.jpg

The exterior glass was dealt with after removing the Quick View residue, the interior I teamed with a microfiber brick. This method I find great for dirtier interior glass as it allows for more even pressure when dealing with a buildup of film and fingerprints. Which leads me to ask why the hell you would be touching the glass with your fingers? :facepalm: Again, not my car so I keep my mouth shut.

IMG-7182.jpg

With the mats reinstalled, the interior was done. Returning to the exterior, I opened the hood and gave the engine bay a very quick wipe to level down any high spots from the application of Hyper Dressing yesterday. This step is so satisfying, minimal effort resulting in brilliant results.

IMG-7186.jpg

The final step was to the dress the tyres, in this case using a new product in the form of Carpro Darkside.

CarPro Darkside – Waxit Car Care (AUS)
CARPRO DarkSide Tire & Rubber Sealant 500ml (17oz) (carpro-us.com) (USA)

IMG-7191.jpg

IMG-7193.jpg

I have seen reviews of Darkside where the supplied pump action trigger would not lift and dispense the product. I bypassed that entirely and simply fitted a pop-top lid I had in stock.

IMG-7194.jpg

Applied with a foam applicator, Darkside is a tyre dressing you have to work for! This is not the silky-smooth application that products like Carpro Perl or NV Onyx exhibit, Darkside really needs to me worked into the rubber, most likely exaggerated by these particular tyres. Carpro claim Darkside can last up to 3 months, it will be interesting to see if this pans out.

IMG-7204.jpg

IMG-7200.jpg

Overall, the finish created by Darkside is very pleasing, producing a uniformly dark, rich finish.

And that concludes this project.

IMG-7222.jpg

IMG-7221.jpg

IMG-7230.jpg

IMG-7232.jpg

The vehicle is three years old this March and sports a few parking indiscretions and still has not been repaired after some meth-head kicked the rear quarter panel in last year. But it still presents very well, especially after an intense two-day detail.

The big question is, will the Old-Man even notice? :facepalm:

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Nice job once again D ! Have a question for you. You seems to like the Carpro redtape. I have no experience with this item. How do you compare to the usual green/painters tape? Price point does seems comparable but I've had some painters tape that had adhesion problem especially on moldings. So on your side how do you compare? I'm curious as I'm preparing my next detailing produt orders and might add some! Thanks for your imput!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice job once again D ! Have a question for you. You seems to like the Carpro redtape. I have no experience with this item. How do you compare to the usual green/painters tape? Price point does seems comparable but I've have some painters tape that had adhesion problem especially on coatings. So on your side how do you compare? I'm curious as I'm preparing my next detailing produt orders and might add some! Thanks for your imput!
There are some things in life not worth skimping on, masking tape is one of them! Ask me how I know this! :facepalm:

I have used a variety of tapes over the years, mostly the sort you will get from a hardware store. The white tape pictured below is the no-name cheap stuff designed to hit a price point and is absolutely terrible. It won't stick or gets dislodged by the polisher. A waste of time, a waste of money.

IMG_E1788.jpg

The blue and green Scotch painters tape from a hardware store is ok but not great. They appear to leave more residue behind as well.

oct202.jpg

oct203.jpg

IMG-E1790.jpg

I have been using the red Carpro tape for a while now, which is made for Carpro by another company whose name escapes me at the moment. It has higher heat resistance, is contourable and removes with no residue left behind. The tape comes in 5mm, 15mm, 24mm and 45mm variations, I only use the two larger sizes, mostly the 24mm.

Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
CARPRO Automotive Masking Tape 24 mm (autogeek.net)

IMG-1827.jpg

IMG-1830.jpg

IMG-2378.jpg

IMG-2343.jpg

dec296.jpg

Two others for you to consider -

Kamoi -
Kamoi Kabuki S | Auto Detailing Masking Tape | Parks Car Care

3M Precision -
3M Masking Tape in 1/4", 1", and 2" | Obsessed Garage

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The Shakespeare of M6g! <smiling> I just love reading your posts, D and you always have good images of the work. The truck looks SPECTACULAR.

I hadn't heard of Darkside but I will be anxiously awaiting your report on longevity. The final tire shots look like Darkside leaves a similar mat sheen as Perl that I prefer but it seems to be about as expensive as Perl so the lifespan will be important.

Thanks again amigo.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The Shakespeare of M6g! <smiling> I just love reading your posts, D and you always have good images of the work. The truck looks SPECTACULAR.

I hadn't heard of Darkside but I will be anxiously awaiting your report on longevity. The final tire shots look like Darkside leaves a similar mat sheen as Perl that I prefer but it seems to be about as expensive as Perl so the lifespan will be important.

Thanks again amigo.
For your preferences, I would probably stick with Perl. DarkSide has a wetter sheen to it.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
There are some things in life not worth skimping on, masking tape is one of them! Ask me how I know this! :facepalm:

I have used a variety of tapes over the years, mostly the sort you will get from a hardware store. The white tape pictured below is the no-name cheap stuff designed to hit a price point and is absolutely terrible. It won't stick or gets dislodged by the polisher. A waste of time, a waste of money.

IMG_E1788.jpg

The blue and green Scotch painters tape from a hardware store is ok but not great. They appear to leave more residue behind as well.

oct202.jpg

oct203.jpg

IMG-E1790.jpg

I have been using the red Carpro tape for a while now, which is made for Carpro by another company whose name escapes me at the moment. It has higher heat resistance, is contourable and removes with no residue left behind. The tape comes in 5mm, 15mm, 24mm and 45mm variations, I only use the two larger sizes, mostly the 24mm.

Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
CARPRO Automotive Masking Tape 24 mm (autogeek.net)

IMG-1827.jpg

IMG-1830.jpg

IMG-2378.jpg

IMG-2343.jpg

dec296.jpg

Two others for you to consider -

Kamoi -
Kamoi Kabuki S | Auto Detailing Masking Tape | Parks Car Care

3M Precision -
3M Masking Tape in 1/4", 1", and 2" | Obsessed Garage

Thanks a lot for this clarification! Just added them to my cart!!! Yeah some green tape do not want to stick to molding.... Hope the best with those Carpro !
Sponsored