Sponsored

Holes in mufflers and a crease in exhaust pipe

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Not sure when or how this happened. Popped my head under car to look at where I would need to cut to get the flowmaster mufflers off and the borla mufflers on and right away noticed a hole in each muffler (roughly same spot but different shapes) and a pretty good crease on my right pipe. the crease is right where i need to cut i think/hope.

if the crease is farther up from where the cut is needed, how will that affect alignment once i put the borla mufflers on? can i compensate a little, like 1/2" or so, by not overlapping the borla pipe and the factory pipe the full amount?

tElDz4S.jpg

I2gWZY0.jpg

eIcbJKY.jpg
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A picture is worth 1000 words...

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Probably weep holes in the mufflers and if I'm not mistaken there is a crimp in the pipe on just about ever exhaust? Or am I thinking about the S197s?

But definitely need pics.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry guys. Had em there when I posted. Saw em on my screen. Lemme see what other option for posting them

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully this works. Crease is in middle of that pic. In line with the spring.

Not too worried about the damage Being that they're getting replaced but don't want new ones getting damaged
20171105_143744-2016x1512(1)-1600x1200.jpg
20171105_143804-2016x1512-1600x1200.jpg
20171105_143844-2016x1512-1600x1200.jpg

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah not too sure on the crease in the pipe, shouldn't be there. Those look like rust holes to me. I was thinking weep holes on the bottom of the tips. Overall those look terrible. I see your location is Texas, was this a used car? Looks almost like shit I'd expect from salt in the North. Even the welds on the tip looks awful.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Maybe the exhaust hangers got yanked out of the mufflers. The crease might have happened if there are no longer exhaust hangers and the mufflers are free and dangling.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah not too sure on the crease in the pipe, shouldn't be there. Those look like rust holes to me. I was thinking weep holes on the bottom of the tips. Overall those look terrible. I see your location is Texas, was this a used car? Looks almost like shit I'd expect from salt in the North. Even the welds on the tip looks awful.
Yeah the welds are garbage. I've actually got a leak further up where the weld connects to the x pipe cause the weld came apart.

Car was used when I bought it but I know that wasn't like that. I've been underneath multiple times and never noticed either issue

Maybe the exhaust hangers got yanked out of the mufflers.
You know what. You're right. The hangers aren't there. But how would that happen? Poor weld maybe?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Yeah the welds are garbage. I've actually got a leak further up where the weld connects to the x pipe cause the weld came apart.

Car was used when I bought it but I know that wasn't like that. I've been underneath multiple times and never noticed either issue

You know what. You're right. The hangers aren't there. But how would that happen? Poor weld maybe?
The exhaust is supposed to be supported by the exhaust hangers. I don't know if the exhaust hangers were custom welded to fit, but if they were, the welder probably burned through the mufflers when welding the hanger rods on. A speed bump might have shaken it free.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I can't believe I didn't notice that when I first saw it this afternoon. Good thing getting replaced.

Now got me nervous if the borla is gonna slip over the pipes that are already there.

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
...used mustangs... never know what you’re getting...

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Man I can't believe I didn't notice that when I first saw it this afternoon. Good thing getting replaced.

Now got me nervous if the borla is gonna slip over the pipes that are already there.
It just depends on where the mating point is. If it doesn't slip over, it could be a good opportunity to clean up the old work.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the exhaust hangers got yanked out of the mufflers. The crease might have happened if there are no longer exhaust hangers and the mufflers are free and dangling.
Didn't even think about this. Good observation!

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just depends on where the mating point is. If it doesn't slip over, it could be a good opportunity to clean up the old work.
True but i mean if the diameter is the same as oem

Near as i can tell system is unknown x pipe welded to factory pipes and seems like an extension piece welded to flowmasters. Might be oem all the way to flowmasters. :confused:

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
That crease is because the pipe was crush bent. Previous owner took it too a discount muffler shop most likely.
Sponsored