Hold ‘Em or Fold Em - GT v Mach 1 v ?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I actually like my ox white. Safe choice but timeless I think.. The red calipers is a must! My first car had them. I wasn't lucky enough to get the upgraded wheels but I'll be ordering HP wheels here soon anyways.
Look at my avatar...the Shelby is Ox white with blue stripes. :) I love Ox white on the Mach!!!

There is a certified pre-owned Ox white here in Vegas with leather Recaros but it has base wheels and no painted calipers. Plus it has 4k miles on it and they want $60k (MSRP when it was new was $55,XXX). I could swap out the wheels like you are doing and add the gurney spoiler, but I'm not paying $5k over MSRP for a used car with 4k miles on it! It has been dropping in price over the past month as well, but still nowhere near a price where I'd be a buyer.
With a little patience you can paint them yourself if you run across a good opportunity on a car that doesn’t have them…

60C83510-02D7-448B-AC0B-694B7C1B0E72.jpeg

1A7AF429-A33D-4D76-9BF6-2DACEFF45162.jpeg
Sponsored

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
With a little patience you can paint them yourself if you run across a good opportunity on a car that doesn’t have them…

60C83510-02D7-448B-AC0B-694B7C1B0E72.jpeg

Good work. I'll fly you to Vegas to do mine if I get a car without painted calipers. That is impressive!

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
Thank you! The markups on Mach 1s have been absolutely insane lately. One dealer I contacted informed me his Mach 1 without handling package was a firm $82,000 and that “there’s absolutely no wiggle room on that price so take it or leave it.” For that price you can buy a Mach 1 from him or a Shelby from someone else. The irony of my Mach 1 story is that I’m incredibly shy in person and that locking horns with the car salesman was the most unnatural thing I’d ever done. Then I remembered I’m pretty good at poker and essentially this was a giant poker match (emphasis on the bluffing). I really wanted that car and I knew the only way I was going to make a Mach 1 happen for myself was to project confidence (if they sense how badly you want the car you’re toast) and show the salesman exactly where I’d be purchasing the car after leaving his lot if he didn’t hit my number. He initially refused to lower the price more than $2,000 because he used his computer software to determine that the lowest-priced Mach 1 in a 300-mile radius was only slightly less than his insane price. “Sorry, sweetie,” he said. “I just did a search of other dealerships and it looks like you’re stuck with our car at this price.” But when I pulled up the emails and texts from my haggling with other dealers already his smirk faded. He realized other dealers had already made me MUCH better offers and that’s when the price began to plummet. When he finally beat my best offer (funny how it went from “$2,000 off is the absolute most I can do for you today and that’s the best deal you’ll find” to “wait—$10,000 off it is” once I did that) I was a little peeved about how condescending he’d been (if I had a nickel for every time I was called sweetheart that day…). So I got up, shook his hand, and said I’d think about it. He’d just beaten my best offer after an hour and a half of intense negotiation so his eyes doubled in size when I suddenly began to leave. “It’s just that the other dealer has been so nice to me,” I explained. “I’m a bit conflicted now…” As I walked toward the exit I heard his footsteps racing toward me. “I’ll knock off an extra $500 on top of everything else,” he called out. I turned, nodded, and we signed the paperwork. I could never be a lawyer or negotiator because I’m normally the opposite of assertive, but knowing I could just walk out at any moment and take up the other dealer on their best offer emboldened me to push this guy hard. It’s easy to convince someone you’re a hardass when you never have to see them again if things don’t go your way. So I recommend everyone come to the dealership prepared. Don’t just have the lowest price of your car from an online posting—have another dealership’s pre-haggled best offer in writing. If you know where you’ll be buying your car and for what price if the salesman doesn’t meet your needs, anyone can rule that dealership with an iron fist. ☺
If we ALL acted like you did these Dealerships would realize their $$money-train ride is about over . The days of screwing us over because of the mindset "we gotta have it" are growing short . Buyers are wising up,about time ! .
Maybe I'll see you @ WSP in vegas next tournament . Have stayed away from large crowds since Pandemic BS . Was lucky enough to win a few small tournaments @ Shreveport LA. Horseshoe before the virus . Been a poker player since age 9 and always wanted to sit at table with the BIG WHEELS just once . But hey I'm getting off subject and the Trollers will be planning an attack ..LOL......But of course I love MUSTANGS a LOT more ! I get the "Sweetheart" BS ,they try to give you a sense of insecurity by using it . By the way ,for future references " What words do the females in todays world prefer to be addressed ? Don't want to use a "term" they dislike , my Mama taught me to respect them . Enjoy your car ... ALL-IN ! junqdawg

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
If we ALL acted like you did these Dealerships would realize their $$money-train ride is about over . The days of screwing us over because of the mindset "we gotta have it" are growing short . Buyers are wising up,about time ! .
Maybe I'll see you @ WSP in vegas next tournament . Have stayed away from large crowds since Pandemic BS . Was lucky enough to win a few small tournaments @ Shreveport LA. Horseshoe before the virus . Been a poker player since age 9 and always wanted to sit at table with the BIG WHEELS just once . But hey I'm getting off subject and the Trollers will be planning an attack ..LOL......But of course I love MUSTANGS a LOT more ! I get the "Sweetheart" BS ,they try to give you a sense of insecurity by using it . By the way ,for future references " What words do the females in todays world prefer to be addressed ? Don't want to use a "term" they dislike , my Mama taught me to respect them . Enjoy your car ... ALL-IN ! junqdawg
I tell dealers everyday to go "f" themselves over the prices of their Mach 1's. Then three weeks later, when they have reduced their ridiculously stupid prices to just stupid prices, I reach back out and say "remember me?" and ask if they want to deal. They don't want to deal because I'm an informed buyer with patience who doesn't "need" the car. I tell them I'll pay X for the car (which is always MSRP...Hell, I offered a dealer who has a used 2021 with 300 miles on it MSRP even though it is used and a year old), plus sales tax (and I give them the exact amount based on the state), title fee for the state, and the doc fee for the state (most states limit how large the doc fee can be). I then add it all up and give them an OTD (out the door) price. I don't give them any room to add $400 for nitrogen in tires or VIN etching for $999, etc. As a result, I am Mach-less.

Sponsored

MachSteady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
You should definitely put those poker skills to use when you buy your next car! Hiding my “tell” (in my case, how badly I wanted the car) and convincing the salesman I had an intimidating hand (showing him the other pre-haggled offers I’d made) is what caused him to fold and meet my price. So all those “life is like a giant poker game” metaphors ain’t wrong. 😉 I’m pretty hard to offend (one quick glance at my movie collection would quickly convince anyone I’m not easy to faze) so I wasn’t upset at being called sweetie or sweetheart per se, but I was a little irked by the condescending tone he used. My grandpa used to call the women in his life sweetheart but he did it with affection—not to belittle them. But for this guy “sweetie” seemed to be synonymous with “you poor naive little thing.” Example: “Aw, is this your first time buying a car at a dealership, sweetie?” I kept half expecting him to reach over and pat me on the head at one point. When I first tried to suggest that he could do a hell of a lot better than his final offer after he knocked off a minuscule percent he shook his head and said, “Let me educate you on the current market, sweetheart.” That’s when I pulled out my folder and said, “I’m aware of the market as a whole, but I think I need to make you aware of the dealers currently beating your ‘final’ price…by a lot.” Handing over the specs on the Mach 1 that I was going to buy if he didn’t make sweetie happier completely changed the power dynamic.
In terms of what to call women, I feel like it varies so much depending on the individual the same way some guys either love or hate being called boss, bro, sir, sport, etc. It’s always safer to stay away from sweetheart or sweetie unless the woman is your partner or daughter. I will say that if you want to earn major points with women of all ages wherever you go then ditch the “ma’am” and call them “miss.” Unless you’re addressing a female judge or police officer ma’am just has an unappealing matronly vibe. But try calling a woman over 40 miss and watch their face light up like a Christmas tree.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

Um, no. You also need talent, and steady hands.
Quite impressive!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Um, no. You also need talent, and steady hands.
Quite impressive!
yeah the paint hardener starts working WAAAY too fast so then it becomes glop and runs, and just makes a mess. If you have the kit, I think 1/2 as much hardener is probably the correct ratio.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well there ya go then!

[/thread]

food for thought on my way out the door…no Mustang GT has ever been thought of, indicated to or believed to be, a sleeper 😉
Here's a sleeper 4cyl Ford for you:

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Keep your GT. Mach 1s are cool, but performance differences are negligible in the real world and so not worth more than a couple $K over a GT IMO. I do not see them becoming a super-valuable collector's car down the road regardless of their numbers (Maybe the GT350s will, but I doubt it). Look at S197 Shelbys... Super low mile cars selling for mid-30s. (I'd love to have one for the money by won't give up the modern conveniences of my '18 GT). Unfortunately, electric cars are the future, maybe in 15-20 years, and the only valuable gas vehicles in that future will be truly rare and SPECIAL, not just an off-the-shelf car with a handful of bolt-ons and decals. Only the Ford GTs are and will be notably collectable. Performance will not be an issue... Already, EVs are faster... A Mach E will smoke any Mustang short of the GT500 and we all know Ford can make it faster, and handle and brake better (but its NOT a Mustang).

Last edited:

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
The funny thing is a fully loaded 401a is only a few k less than a Mach 1. Really juat depends on what your wants are in a car.

OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Here's a sleeper 4cyl Ford for you:
I think the tires are a bit of a giveaway there. I saw a Toyota Supra with drag radials driving down the street the other day. Not many people won’t see that coming!
Sponsored