Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
One interesting thing when i purchased the pedal assy from Ford the partial welds on the pedal to the tube assy were marked with a yellow marker as if an inspector checked them after manufacture.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
One interesting thing when i purchased the pedal assy from Ford the partial welds on the pedal to the tube assy were marked with a yellow marker as if an inspector checked them after manufacture.
Almost an admission of guilt to the issue.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I'm not a pro welder--I did take a couple classes at the local JC after I retired--but, in theory, that weld should have been sufficient (in size, anyway). Ant Anstead, on a recent 'Wheeler Dealer' episode, stated something to the effect that 'an inch of weld should support a ton [of weight].' I think that's a bit of a stretch, but the weld shown here definitely looks 'cold;' probably not done by a skilled welder but by a min. wage kid given a half-hour of instruction. It takes a bit of skill to get proper penetration, even pretty 'stack of dimes' TIG welds may only LOOK good, an ugly bead with good penetration is better by far. Something about the granularity of the metal at the break doesn't look right, either (probably not the highest quality steel).

As for the MT-82 shift forks, that's just plain chintzy. Have a look at the forks in a 55 year-old British sports car:

Gearbox.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'm not a pro welder--I did take a couple classes at the local JC after I retired--but, in theory, that weld should have been sufficient (in size, anyway). Ant Anstead, on a recent 'Wheeler Dealer' episode, stated something to the effect that 'an inch of weld should support a ton [of weight].' I think that's a bit of a stretch, but the weld shown here definitely looks 'cold;' probably not done by a skilled welder but by a min. wage kid given a half-hour of instruction. It takes a bit of skill to get proper penetration, even pretty 'stack of dimes' TIG welds may only LOOK good, an ugly bead with good penetration is better by far. Something about the granularity of the metal at the break doesn't look right, either (probably not the highest quality steel).

As for the MT-82 shift forks, that's just plain chintzy. Have a look at the forks in a 55 year-old British sports car:

Gearbox.JPG
You're correct. It was a cold weld, which you can see by the granularity of the break pattern. It only had surface penetration into the base metals. And yes, with a good weld, it is likely enough and I'm sure it was analyzed like that. What is clear though, is how low the design margin really is. A pin and clip design would be far, far more robust and would not require a cheap weld.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Gearbox.JPG
“A min wage kid with a half hour instruction” is a good description of the kind of things I run into working in manufacturing. Those jobs are not paying enough to get and keep good talent. The old timers didn’t have many other skills beyond their little niche in the shop, but learned what they did very well. Young people these days are like, “Screw it, for that kind of money I can work retail, stay clean and work in a climate controlled building.”

Sponsored

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Sorry if I missed it but is the replacement part updated with a better weld or did you add a better weld yourself?

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Sorry if I missed it but is the replacement part updated with a better weld or did you add a better weld yourself?
Negative on both counts for my particular parts. It is unknown whether then 2018+ improves this.

BigHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium Ingot silver
Is there a recall for this or is ford doing anything to fix this issue? Or per usual we pay for their mistakes?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Is there a recall for this or is ford doing anything to fix this issue? Or per usual we pay for their mistakes?
Not yet. If it has happened to you, submit a complaint with NHTSA.

OP
OP
Brian@BMVK

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'd almost rather reinstall my supercharger than do that replacement ever again.
I'd rather do any of the other mods/swaps I've done than that:
- diff pumpkin
- rear LCAs
- manifold + injectors
- front swaybar
- plugs
- Brembos

and many more...

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
IMO, that type of failure represents a safety related failure because it’s a structural component as well as a functional component. This type of fatigue could result in a failure while the car is in motion either during parking lot maneuvers or highway maneuvers.

If anyone has experienced such a failure, it should be reported to the NHTSA. If enough cases are filed (with facts), it could result in a recall effort:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
If there was a safety recall on pedal assemblies, and I was a tech at a dealership with a long line of Mustangs waiting for theirs, I think I'd quit.
That repair is the spawn of Satan. Anything but that. Anything.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Somebody asked on a different thread if the folks with that 'affliction' replaced/removed the stock spring. I'm hoping the answer is yes, meaning those of us with stock spring, will never experience that failure :). As a final note, is there anything we could lube to minimize the stress on that area? It didn't look possible to spray anything in that bushing with everything in place, but hope to be wrong.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.