BramptonGT350

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
Soooo....why was the entire drivetrain replaced??
So story is, I am the second owner of this car and bought it in Jan 2020. I researched a lot about its issues and found that 2018 and older ones might have oil consumption issues. When I took it home it was fine but around April I decided to check the dipstick and I did not see a hint of oil (the dealer did a fresh oil change when I bought it). I then filled the oil until it was visible on the stick and drove it for a few days. When the oil went missing again I knew the engine was no good and then went after an engine replacement. It took a month, but it was covered under warranty. I have a whole explanation of the things they found in the engine teardown.
As for the trans, a year after the purchase I was driving, and I went to shift into 4rth from 5th, the shifter would not let me out of gear. Drove it a few more days and the tranny started making noise at idle. When I pressed the clutch in, it would stop. After some research, I found that the tranny had to be bad as a thrust bearing makes noise when the clutch is not pressed. The dealer did a teardown of the tranny and found a chipped gear and some small bearings had collapsed. Even some of the gear meshes were really worn out.

I had never tracked the car, so I assume the previous owner never cared for the car and drove it excessively hard.
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'm in a similar situation. I'm at 33k miles and have owned mine for over 5 years. I do love the car, it's the longest I've ever owned one, but do have a few concerns about the long-term reliability. I don't have a warranty and really don't want to shell out $25k for a motor. BUUUTT mine has never burned a drop of oil, runs great. I am probably going to start doing oil analysis'. The only car I'm selling for is a Porsche. I've been looking at GT4's. The prices are starting to come back down to reality.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
ā€¦not entirely convinced 59k is ā€œhigh mileageā€ but you have had a host of maladies in your 35k that I have not had in my 32k (with zero ESP) so I wouldnā€™t blame ya for moving on šŸ˜‰

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Some GT4ā€™s the previous onesā€¦.a few had bad shock towers that would crack and tear apart, mostly on hitting inside of curbs on the track. Porsche was not wanting to fix them, because the fix was a whole new body shell. You can google it and read about it.

Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Sorry for the hi jack. I used to have a '16 and a '17 GT350 and browse the forum from time to time.

Funny you guys are looking at Porsches. I'm thinking of selling my GT3 for a Mach 1 as I just don't drive the car much. Feels like a waste to drive it around town and think a Mach 1 would be less worry. A four year service on this car is $3K so be careful what you wish for:
IMG_2464 1.jpg

Last edited:

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I also like the older 2016-2017 GT3 cars which are great 991 cars. The value of these are all above the MSRP.
Sponsored