BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
Hi Folks,

Wanted to start this thread to see if people have high-mileage GT350s and what their ownership has been like.
Mine is a 17' currently at 59K miles, bought it when it had 24K miles on it. I drive the crap out of it, and believe it or not, I did 35K miles in 18 months. Also, it took 2 months or more to replace many parts. I use it as my daily.

So far, I've had a new: Engine, transmission, AC unit, 2 alternators, belt tensioner, high-pressure AC lines, EVAP valve, 3 seat blowers (Heater & Cooled motors), new clutch (installed during engine replacement for peace of mind, factory one still worked, out of my own pocket), and various other small parts but all was covered under warranty and ESP I purchased.

Some mods I did: FP lowering springs, Resonator & Cat delete with x pipe and mid-pipes. Otherwise, it's bone stock.

I love this car, and it turns a lot of heads, partly because it looks good and also because it's crazy loud with a unique sound. It handles amazingly for what it is, and I find it not so compromised in ride quality on the streets down here in Toronto.

My ESP will be over at 60K miles, and the cost to renew it for another 19K miles is about $3800 USD. My gut tells me to invest in that for peace of mind and drive it less lol.

Any suggestions from someone on what to do moving forward? Should I keep it or be smart and sell it? I am 27 and don't know what life holds ahead.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you love the car and can afford the 3800, keep it another 19K miles. I'm sure something else major will break. :)

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I mean you've already replaced pretty much every high dollar item on the car so all those components are newish right?

You drive it in the winter? I drove my 2012 GT in the winter when I lived in Southern Ontario but I'm not sure I would do the same with the GT350.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It kind of depends on what your plans are after you sell. Like will you be getting another performance car? What kind of cars are you looking at? If you think you want to sell your car within the next few years right now would be a good time. The market is still hot.

I absolutely love driving a fun car with a warranty. So I totally understand why you would want to add additional coverage. But spending almost 4k for another year of driving (with your driving) seems like a lot of money.

OP
OP
BramptonGT350

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
If you love the car and can afford the 3800, keep it another 19K miles. I'm sure something else major will break. :)
haha I am pretty sure something will go wrong, car just came back from the shop as it was misfiring in 3 cylinders but got it resolved. Can't imagine if I have a spun bearing soon. I am very inclined to get the Ford ESP. My dealer offered my 2nd party coverage, but there was a line in the brochure that took me by surprise "Block and heads replacement only covered if damage caused by a gasket". Now this coverage is a lot cheaper but that' verbiage is BS and I feel I will be let down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BramptonGT350

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
I mean you've already replaced pretty much every high dollar item on the car so all those components are newish right?

You drive it in the winter? I drove my 2012 GT in the winter when I lived in Southern Ontario but I'm not sure I would do the same with the GT350.
Yes! All major high-dollar components have been replaced. I hear the diff on these can go bad to but so far I haven't heard any noises from it. As for newish the new engine has about 32K miles on it and it is the 'R' engine so it's stronger and I have not experienced any oil consumption.

I sometimes take it out in the winter, just to hear the exhaust and charge up the battery but no heavy driving as I still have the summer rubber on.

OP
OP
BramptonGT350

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
It kind of depends on what your plans are after you sell. Like will you be getting another performance car? What kind of cars are you looking at? If you think you want to sell your car within the next few years right now would be a good time. The market is still hot.

I absolutely love driving a fun car with a warranty. So I totally understand why you would want to add additional coverage. But spending almost 4k for another year of driving (with your driving) seems like a lot of money.
Honestly I have been spoilt by this car and now need a performance car in the garage moving forward along with a daily. I am not earning that much yet so the only thing I see within my budget is to order a camero ZL1 which has a lot more power and is a manual. My only issue is I have never driven one and I don't like the looks from the back and I hear visibility is bad in that car. Do you have any other suggestions? I drove a manual hellcat and that was terrible as a driver's car; too heavy but good power.

But you are right if I should sell, it's a good time now. S650 will be launched next year so I don't know if this body type will hold value even though it is a Shelby.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The only other car I’d get besides the Shelby is a Porsche. I’ve sort of been looking around for one, but the ones I’d want are still 100k and more. Then there’s the RS7 and the Blackwing CT5, which you can get with the manual. Lots of choices around but within a few years it’s gonna be all EV, so for me at 60, my next high dollar car buy will be my last one. I’d say in your case get the warranty extended and drive the piss out of it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Block and heads replacement only covered if damage caused by a gasket".
Yea, that covers nothing. The line should say all internally lubricated parts.
within my budget is to order a camero ZL1
One of the rental cars I had while my car was in the shop was a LT camaro. 6.2 I think. It was a fun car but got old fast. Harder for me to get in and out I did not like the dash or the dash controls and it was impossible to back up without the rear camera. Visibility sucked. The window opening was also a bit small, large orders at the drive through was like threading a needle. The only thing I liked was the low end power of the engine but I kept wanting to rev it out... :)

I’d say in your case get the warranty extended and drive the piss out of it.
This is probably what I'd do.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Honestly I have been spoilt by this car and now need a performance car in the garage moving forward along with a daily. I am not earning that much yet so the only thing I see within my budget is to order a camero ZL1 which has a lot more power and is a manual. My only issue is I have never driven one and I don't like the looks from the back and I hear visibility is bad in that car. Do you have any other suggestions? I drove a manual hellcat and that was terrible as a driver's car; too heavy but good power.

But you are right if I should sell, it's a good time now. S650 will be launched next year so I don't know if this body type will hold value even though it is a Shelby.
I personally like the GT350 more. Its way more unique and looks better. But I get the need to try something else out. The ZL1 is a decent pick, its got tons of power stock and pretty reliable.

The GT350 should hold value but its kind of unknown how well a high mileage one will be. If you do not want to own a GT350 out of warranty, sell now.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I think the ZL1 is the best bang for buck, but after reading your post and everything you've been through...sounds like you love that 350 and nothing is gonna take it's place adequately

OP
OP
BramptonGT350

BramptonGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
The only other car I’d get besides the Shelby is a Porsche. I’ve sort of been looking around for one, but the ones I’d want are still 100k and more. Then there’s the RS7 and the Blackwing CT5, which you can get with the manual. Lots of choices around but within a few years it’s gonna be all EV, so for me at 60, my next high dollar car buy will be my last one. I’d say in your case get the warranty extended and drive the piss out of it.

Ahh if only I could get that porche! Been dreaming of the GT4 RS or a GT3 of any MY.. but for the time being I can only dream! I do think in the end I will get that warranty and drive the piss out of it because in the current market prices and even me selling it, I do not see another good option apart from the ZL1. When I spec that out I see myself making compromises in some looks and interior everyday practicality.

I am not 60 but If I was you I would go all out one last time while those muscles are strong for the G forces and enjoy it. My problem is I am young and don't know if I am making a mistake, I am just going with my gut!

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I looked into the ZL1 before I bought the GT350. It represents really good bang for buck but feels tiny and cramped inside. They are great track cars though (not sure about a daily).

I also sat in a 992 GT3 yesterday and that thing feels like a toy. Could barely fit in the front seat and the steering wheel seems comically small. I guess I am just used to the GT350 at this point.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The 997.1 and 997.2 is even noticeably smaller than the 992. Driving them sort of feels like your at the point of a short spear. It’s a different experience than the Shelby. I’m not a fan of the 992, it’s just too bloated

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The 997.1 and 997.2 is even noticeably smaller than the 992. Driving them sort of feels like your at the point of a short spear. It’s a different experience than the Shelby. I’m not a fan of the 992, it’s just too bloated
Yeah the 911s are just too small for me. Which is a shame because I've loved Mustangs and 911s since I was a kid. Ironically I never had the opportunity to actually sit in one until the other day. Oh well.
Sponsored