High IATs with Whipple

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Finally got out to the strip and had very high temps as the day went on. First 2 runs were within 30 minutes of each other. And was running under 100 degrees in 75 degree weather. I let the car sit for an hour and the iats went up to over 110. Did 2 runs and let it sit another hour. Iats over 130! When I'm trying to cool the car down should I leave aux power on? Bring ice?
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Maybe use a small generator and an airmover like a floor drying fan in the pits?

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Finally got out to the strip and had very high temps as the day went on. First 2 runs were within 30 minutes of each other. And was running under 100 degrees in 75 degree weather. I let the car sit for an hour and the iats went up to over 110. Did 2 runs and let it sit another hour. Iats over 130! When I'm trying to cool the car down should I leave aux power on? Bring ice?
Yes, leave the aux power on, your pump will run which helps the blower from getting heat soaked. Hood open as soon as you get back to the pit, a fan blower will help a lot to cool it down quick (you will need a small generator).

Do you have the oversized heat exchanger? It is well worth it.

Something not working (IC pump)? Fluid level correct? Also use 2 to 3 bottles of Red Line Water Wetter.

Do not put ice on top of the blower (by doing this it could cause premature wear on the rotors and seals). You want to cool the fluid Not the housing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, leave the aux power on, your pump will run which helps the blower from getting heat soaked. Hood open as soon as you get back to the pit, a fan blower will help a lot to cool it down quick (you will need a small generator).

Do you have the oversized heat exchanger? It is well worth it.

Something not working (IC pump)? Fluid level correct? Also use 2 to 3 bottles of Red Line Water Wetter.

Do not put ice on top of the blower (by doing this it could cause premature wear on the rotors and seals). You want to cool the fluid Not the housing.
Have water wetter in there, and even under hard driving the temps are fine when moving so the pumps and fluid is fine. Wasn't sure if the pumps run in aux power, I'll start there. Thanks for tip on the ice.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Starts to pull timing
Hi Charlie,
Great meeting you and hope to have my car at the next Modern Muscle Race in Woodburn,Or.
Check out the fun video of ice tank install on a 2018 mustang gt
Go to (that1320chick youtube)
Click on video to see the ice tank install and that for sure will fix your problem.

Sponsored
OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like normal heat soak. The engine is running at 185*+, that heat is going to soak up into anything thats at a lower temp. Parking the car with no coolant flow or air flow in the system pulling the heat out to the radiator the only place for it to go is to the cooler supercharger components above. Let the whole car cool down, usually takes 3-4 hours, maybe quicker with fans and cooler ambient temp, or drive it around for 30 minutes at normal 45-55 mph speeds and let the system reach normal operating temps again, and don't turn the car off in the staging lanes giving the engine heat a chance to heat soak the supercharger.

I know MFP phenolic spacers help a ton with heat soak and recovery on the gen 2-4's. The Gen 5's are inherently much better with heat soak as the intercooler is up top not right at the heads in the valley, but I would say if it will still fit under the hood, those spacers would help solve your problem.

An electric water pump for the engine, and having a switch to have the fans and two water pumps running while letting the car cool in the pits is another option for quicker cool down.

The other option is an interchiller, conceptually a good idea, the dodges use them and i've seen them work great on that platform. Haven't talked to any one with a coyote using one.

Most people say icetank, but Ice is a PITA, and constantly draining and refiling with new ice you need to bring coolers and coolers of ice bags. For me it takes the fun out of going to the track and just adds more work. plus its just money down the drain as you drain your melted ice out of the tank. Not worth it unless you are looking for glory pass, and if your goal isn't deep in the 7's, forget about it no glory in that.

Is it okay to put a bag of ice on the top of the gen 5's since the intercooler is the top? I know the no ice thing was a roush, vmp, whipple gen 2-4 thing cause you were applying the ice directly to the rotor housing.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like normal heat soak. The engine is running at 185*+, that heat is going to soak up into anything thats at a lower temp. Parking the car with no coolant flow or air flow in the system pulling the heat out to the radiator the only place for it to go is to the cooler supercharger components above. Let the whole car cool down, usually takes 3-4 hours, maybe quicker with fans and cooler ambient temp, or drive it around for 30 minutes at normal 45-55 mph speeds and let the system reach normal operating temps again, and don't turn the car off in the staging lanes giving the engine heat a chance to heat soak the supercharger.

I know MFP phenolic spacers help a ton with heat soak and recovery on the gen 2-4's. The Gen 5's are inherently much better with heat soak as the intercooler is up top not right at the heads in the valley, but I would say if it will still fit under the hood, those spacers would help solve your problem.

An electric water pump for the engine, and having a switch to have the fans and two water pumps running while letting the car cool in the pits is another option for quicker cool down.

The other option is an interchiller, conceptually a good idea, the dodges use them and i've seen them work great on that platform. Haven't talked to any one with a coyote using one.

Most people say icetank, but Ice is a PITA, and constantly draining and refiling with new ice you need to bring coolers and coolers of ice bags. For me it takes the fun out of going to the track and just adds more work. plus its just money down the drain as you drain your melted ice out of the tank. Not worth it unless you are looking for glory pass, and if your goal isn't deep in the 7's, forget about it no glory in that.

Is it okay to put a bag of ice on the top of the gen 5's since the intercooler is the top? I know the no ice thing was a roush, vmp, whipple gen 2-4 thing cause you were applying the ice directly to the rotor housing.
Right, not super excited about the killer chiller or an ice tank. My plan is to run the pumps while while sitting between runs. If that isn't enough I was looking at adding the dual fans. Anyone running those?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
i thought it was over 150 then it pulls timing
Another myth by the facebook tuning experts. I know for a fact timing starts to get pulled at 120f (48c) too.
Sponsored