Sponsored

High HP 3" exhaust resonator fitment issue.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I can’t work out how it isn’t a restriction but clearly it’s not really hurting the performance.
Looks to me like it would offer a fair bit of noise suppression (decent amount of packing around the single 3” section).
Cheers
It’s not as much of a restriction because if it’s properly located in the system the exhaust pulses are not competing for cross section bank to bank. Think of the pressure waves (pulses) from one side reaching the x or Y section and “seeing” both exhausts as an outlet to escape. This of course is all dependent on the speed of the pulses (RPM) and at some point along the powerband this is ideal and you pick up ho over straight pipe or it becomes a log jam and starts costing power.

Like a line of cars entering a merge at one point they can flow through easily one behind the other as they get closer they can actually start “drafting” one another into the merge then Bam bottleneck
I'll say this...Magnaflow themselves said it wasnt the best option for 700+hp cars. You could say Stang17 lost 22hp from an X to the resonator, granted on different days. It's not much but why lose anything when we work so hard to make power. I'm not hating....I really wanted to use it. At the time I hated my car because of how it sounded. I ended up welding in Magnaflow bullets and still had to change the mufflers to find happiness.
Sponsored

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I'll say this...Magnaflow themselves said it wasnt the best option for 700+hp cars. You could say Stang17 lost 22hp from an X to the resonator, granted on different days. It's not much but why lose anything when we work so hard to make power. I'm not hating....I really wanted to use it. At the time I hated my car because of how it sounded. I ended up welding in Magnaflow bullets and still had to change the mufflers to find happiness.

I wouldn’t want to lose anything myself. I was just trying to shed some light on why it wasn’t a bigger loss as compared to Y merging into a single 3 inch out would be. Definitely not ideal for the HP our cars make with any power adder but for other applications it might even be considered ideal and give the best increase across the rpm band.

I have the 3 inch catback and X from magnaflow and am in the same boat. I would love it to be a bit quieter with no drone and deeper tone but at 825rwhp the options for my application don’t work. I’ve considered doing a couple of bullets and an H myself.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Probably more than 22 hp loss since the number without the resonator was SAE which is typically lower .
I have the resonator on my 18 with Gen 5 whipple and I am sure it’s probably costing me some power /ET/trap .
I have cat deletes and with the resonator it looks like I may be down 5-6 mph (at least ) compared to similar cars running headers and resonator delete . Some of that may be gain from headers but I suspect some of it is the resonator .

Car still runs 9.7@140 and I have to decide if I want to trade a nice sounding car for one that’s louder(and may be sounds bad ) because of 0.2-0.3
I would love to be a able to do back to back testing at the track comparing the resonator delete to the magnaflow but that would be near impossible.
I may try and do something on the dyno .

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t want to lose anything myself. I was just trying to shed some light on why it wasn’t a bigger loss as compared to Y merging into a single 3 inch out would be. Definitely not ideal for the HP our cars make with any power adder but for other applications it might even be considered ideal and give the best increase across the rpm band.

I have the 3 inch catback and X from magnaflow and am in the same boat. I would love it to be a bit quieter with no drone and deeper tone but at 825rwhp the options for my application don’t work. I’ve considered doing a couple of bullets and an H myself.
I'd highly reccomend the bullets, they really take the edge off especially around town. There is really no downside except for 7-8lbs and $200 or so!

Probably more than 22 hp loss since the number without the resonator was SAE which is typically lower .
I have the resonator on my 18 with Gen 5 whipple and I am sure it’s probably costing me some power /ET/trap .
I have cat deletes and with the resonator it looks like I may be down 5-6 mph (at least ) compared to similar cars running headers and resonator delete . Some of that may be gain from headers but I suspect some of it is the resonator .

Car still runs 9.7@140 and I have to decide if I want to trade a nice sounding car for one that’s louder(and may be sounds bad ) because of 0.2-0.3
I would love to be a able to do back to back testing at the track comparing the resonator delete to the magnaflow but that would be near impossible.
I may try and do something on the dyno .
9.7 at 140 is no joke. As Cole Trickle once famously said "That bitch is perfect, don't touch a thing!"
Sponsored