Sponsored

High flow CATS and replacing x-pipe with resonator..... Defeating the purpose?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base\PP. Gen1 Whipple
I've got a '15 with a Whipple stg1. Previous own installed the Ford Performance Borla Touring CAT Back. "Touring" fooled me a bit. With the x-pipe this thing is loud as hell for a daily driver. Sounds awesome on a backroad but not so good in the office parking lot. I'm looking at replacing the x-pipe with a Borla resonator and putting high flow CATS on the stock manifold. My hope is to quiet it down and open it up at bit at the same time with the assumption that the stock CATS are the choke-point but I've got no clue how to measure the flow rate change. Not a common question I'm sure but thought I'd throw it out here.

I want to do this before I upgrade stg1 to stg2. Hoping to add 120whp\90tq with the kit and tune. I don't want to step back with the exhaust change.
Sponsored

Brombones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Mustang PP1
The only thing I will caution you about is the fact that our cars are notorious for melting cataltyic converters, especially when they are supercharged. This also applies to high flow cats. I supercharged mine when it had 15k miles and before I hit 17k, passenger cat was completely melted and robbing me of timing. I feel you on the noise, I have longtubes catless headers married to a Borla ATAK catback now. Much too loud for these old ears.

OP
OP
TonyBagadonuts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response.

I've got a Roush in my F-150 and have burned through one set of CATS and am cooking a second as we speak. It is what it is when your daily is your toy. The root of my question is whether I am going to net better flow with high-flow cats and adding a resonator. The other aspect of that is whether the high-flow cats will add enough noise to negate the x-pipe delete. I'm thinking that won't be the case.

I found a vid with the borla touring with the resonator instead of the x-pipe. Sounds like crap. I may just have to continue to be the old guy with the boy toy.

TGYNYY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've got a '15 with a Whipple stg1. Previous own installed the Ford Performance Borla Touring CAT Back. "Touring" fooled me a bit. With the x-pipe this thing is loud as hell for a daily driver. Sounds awesome on a backroad but not so good in the office parking lot. I'm looking at replacing the x-pipe with a Borla resonator and putting high flow CATS on the stock manifold. My hope is to quiet it down and open it up at bit at the same time with the assumption that the stock CATS are the choke-point but I've got no clue how to measure the flow rate change. Not a common question I'm sure but thought I'd throw it out here.

I want to do this before I upgrade stg1 to stg2. Hoping to add 120whp\90tq with the kit and tune. I don't want to step back with the exhaust change.
Get rid of the cats

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

Sponsored

OP
OP
TonyBagadonuts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Plus add MF true x if you want to kill the volume.
Nice. Going to call Monday to confirm if this will just bolt up to the Ford Performance Borla system.

As for removing the CATS, this is a daily driver. No way to pass emissions here in Texas without them.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
As for removing the CATS, this is a daily driver. No way to pass emissions here in Texas without them.
Gut them instead, then use O2 extenders or turn off the rear O2 sensors in the tune. That way you get the appearance of cats but they won't melt anymore as they are now just the shell.
Sponsored