Sponsored

Hidden front license plate

vt89gtvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 red gt convertible
I live in one of those states that requires a front license plate, but I like probably most here hate them.

I'm looking to see if anyone here has any history with the fold down types that mount the plate under the bumper and not on it. I would like one of the ones that are motorized and hide the plate when the car isn't on, but not a requirement.

I have seen some on Amazon and even googles a couple but they don't seem to hold up to highway speeds...
Sponsored

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I have used them in the past on several vehicles, including cars I road raced, and they worked fine. Pull out and fold up and you are good to go. Even had a state patrol stop me & I told him I thought it was up but the kids must have put it down. He gave me a warning. Hate front plates. Show me a report from any state, by any officer, that has identified a wanted vehicle by looking at the front plate.

Jeeden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yea, I'm planning on doing the same with mine, but I think I'm going to go with the Sto n Sho or the craigs bracket. The fold down ones seem neat, but maybe a bit too gadget like and I heard they don't hold up under speed (the automatic ones anyway).

I like the craigs, mainly because it is a lot cheaper than the SNS, but I might try to mount it lower. I like how low you can mount the SNS.

I don't plan on lowering my car, but I have heard others who do lower it have had issues with the SNS on the ground clearance. One member had his torn off and was going to the flip up kind, it would be nice to hear an update on his experience since changing it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

vt89gtvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 red gt convertible
I have searched and found some, but I was hoping a member had already mounted one to their 15. The automated kind would be nice, but not at the risk of it flying off at 80MPH. Not that I speed a ton, but my car has seen 110

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
Only thing about the Sto n Sho is the hardware they use. My bolts are already rusted and my friends release pin is seized. Only had it on the car for 5 months too

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Only thing about the Sto n Sho is the hardware they use. My bolts are already rusted and my friends release pin is seized. Only had it on the car for 5 months too
Most of the meat of the sto n sho is aluminum, but I did notice that the release pin on mine (which isn't even installed on the car) is starting to stiffen up. I'll give mine a graphite bath and see about replacing the hardware with stainless before I install it.

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I'm not a fan of either option currently available (SNS or Craigs Custom). I reached out to AM about the flip down setup they have for the S197, but they said it wouldn't work with the S550. I don't have mine on and I'v gotten two tickets in five months. I'm about to just drill the thing on out of frustration.

Sponsored

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
I had someone tell me about a motorized one that flips up and then flips down and retracts into your lower grill. It does require cutting the top portion of your lower grill. Found em on American Muscle

Last edited:

qon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic EB Premium
Anyone know of any brackets that tilt inward into the lower grill? I don't like how the Sto-n-Show sticks straight up. Considering buying one and bending it..

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
We have to have front plates in the UK and there is a road in the East of London that has a 50mph limit with average speed cameras.

I started using it when working in the area on my motorbike and all the cars were doing exactly 49mph yet all the bikers were coming past at 80+.

I asked one how they were getting away with it and he pointed out that these particular cameras only look at the front plate and motorcycles don't have those. :lol:
Sponsored