Sponsored

hey GT350 owners . I'm getting the Mach 1. Is the Tremac that much better than the MT 82. I've read of some problems with the Tremac as well.

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
hi guys, currently have a 2016 GT, MT. I'm getting the new Mach 1 . should I go AT or the new Tremac which y'all know a lot about. thanks, tom
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The new manual (which is the buttery smooth unit from the GT350) is great and much better than the GT unit, but in terms of straight line performance it doesn't hold a candle to the automatic.

We can't tell you what you will enjoy more, it's up to you whether you want a slower but more fun manual or the faster automatic.

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
hi guys, currently have a 2016 GT, MT. I'm getting the new Mach 1 . should I go AT or the new Tremac which y'all know a lot about. thanks, tom
depends what youre doing with the car but i would personally never get an automatic mustang as it removes too much from the pleasure of driving. there is a reason why so many people rant and rave about the TR3160.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
Short answer - Yes get the Tremec, you won't be sorry.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
2020 GT350R (TR3160) and 2013 Boss 302 LS (MT82) owner here. No comparison whatsoever. MGWs on both along with some other improvements on the Boss (RST, stainless clutch line, etc). The 3160 is amazing and the best manual I have ever used (have owned and/or driven a million high performance manual cars from USA, Europe, and Japan). I cannot imagine anyone ever regretting getting the Tremec.

Congratulations on the Mach 1! That is going to be a really cool car.

Sponsored

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Get the tremec, it's great. I think this car is going to be better than people realize. The 480 hp coyote, more low end torque than the voodoo, combined with the best handling bits from the recent Shelby mustangs and the tremec manual is going to be a "better than the sum of its parts" type car. And they improved the front end from the standard GT, which was needed.

Reactions: dps
OP
OP

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
I don't recall any glaring issues or complaints about the Tremec, ever. Care to link to posts regarding this?
hi shift. there were some posts on shifter rattle. but most vids i've seen rave about her. why do some people do a mgw
2020 GT350R (TR3160) and 2013 Boss 302 LS (MT82) owner here. No comparison whatsoever. MGWs on both along with some other improvements on the Boss (RST, stainless clutch line, etc). The 3160 is amazing and the best manual I have ever used (have owned and/or driven a million high performance manual cars from USA, Europe, and Japan). I cannot imagine anyone ever regretting getting the Tremec.

Congratulations on the Mach 1! That is going to be a really cool car.
thanks champale. why do some people get the MGW upgrade on the tremor shifter as well? thanks, tom

OP
OP

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
Get the tremec, it's great. I think this car is going to be better than people realize. The 480 hp coyote, more low end torque than the voodoo, combined with the best handling bits from the recent Shelby mustangs and the tremec manual is going to be a "better than the sum of its parts" type car. And they improved the front end from the standard GT, which was needed.
thanks mngt350. i can't wait to see her. i wish there were some test drives on you tube though. tom

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
hi shift. there were some posts on shifter rattle.
That's right. It was related to the collar that you lift up to access reverse. I never hear about that anymore, and although I use to have it, it must've stopped rattling a couple years back because I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Manual all the way. Autos are too boring. However I would say that my first impression of the tremec was meh. I think the MT-82 is very close and probably shifts slightly smoother.

However, the more you use the tremec the better it gets. When you use it hard on the road course it is butter. The thing just keeps working better and better. This is the GT350 tremec I'm talking about. Hopefully the Mach tremec will be as good.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
hi shift. there were some posts on shifter rattle. but most vids i've seen rave about her. why do some people do a mgw

thanks champale. why do some people get the MGW upgrade on the tremor shifter as well? thanks, tom
*if you want the short version, go to last paragraph :) *

I have a theory on this.... Historically, Mustangs have always been a great bargain (read, CHEAP) but they've also always responded well to mods. so there's been a huge aftermarket for them...forever. Mustang guys have not outgrown this need to modify everything, IMO. Never before has Ford offered such a "needs nothing" car but still people love to mod..sometimes just for the sake of modding and IMO frequently over exaggerate or complete make up the benefit of said mods in the name of purchase confirmation...I know, that's rough but it happens.

Shifters have frequently been a go-to mod that usually does reward the driver with shorter shifts, better feel and in the past, a longer lasting transmission (one of the main drivers for Mustang aftermarket shifters was that they integrated a shift stop into the shifter itself which the transmission did NOT have internally..helping to prevent overshifting/bent shift forks). I'm on my second GT350R and on my first one, a 2016, I installed an MGW because...well, it's a well engineered piece and they are known to make the best. I cant say anything bad about the shifter..it feels a little more direct but overall - the gap between the best aftermarket shifter made and the OE unit, IMO, has never been narrower. The OE one looks flimsy and so obviously mass produced to a price point but the whole package just works. I might do another MGW on my 20 but I'm not running back out to buy one asap, that's for sure.

The short version - there's nothing inherently wrong with the stock 6-speed going into the Mach 1 - you will likely never need to change a thing about it.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Had a 16 GT A6 and that was ok at best, even with a tune. Went MT 82 on my Bullitt and I can live with it. Tremec is definitely better. If you want to order now, I highly recommend you drive a 18+ A10 and a GT350 before. Though both trans options are supposed to be tuned different on the Mach 1, it should give you a good idea.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Sometimes first is a bit notchy, at
least on mine, but otherwise such a nice shifting trans

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
had a 2017 GT w/ MT82, it was so jerky and difficult to drive smooth. My wife hated riding in it. I got the GT350 and it is night and day different, I couldn't believe it. It is so smooth now that my wife actually loves the car now. I love the Tremec!
Sponsored