Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Tonight I was driving home when I encountered my usual hill. Second gear, about 2500RPM, and I decided to give it half throttle. The car started hesitating, not like a misfire, and when I looked out my side mirror to change lanes I saw a huge cloud of smoke coming out the exhaust. But when I got home, driving through my complex parking lot there was no smoke, no weird idle, or anything like that.

Any guess as to what happened? Car is all stock, 13k miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
My car did the hesitation/backfire thing with a cloud of smoke getting on the interstate about a month ago. No codes and it hasn't happened again.
That's very interesting. Thanks for your input.

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
It probably sucked a bunch of stagnant oil if you haven't stomped the throttle in awhile. I've seen this happening on so many DI cars.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Stagnant oil from where? Sump?

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
It probably sucked a bunch of stagnant oil if you haven't stomped the throttle in awhile. I've seen this happening on so many DI cars.
I think SYK hit the nail on the head. There might be oil pooling in the inter cooler. Even under light throttle, you will get small amounts of oil vaporization, over thousands of miles, this can accumulate in the IC.

During heavy throttle the significantly increased volume of air may pull some of this into the intake and combustion chamber.

The best way to eliminate oil caking of the intake valves and periodic smoking issues is to do the following:

1. UPR Dual Valve Catch Can
2. Run a very low NOAC oil such as AMSOIL Sig or other high end oil.

The combination should eliminate the most common path of oil getting into the intake path. Unless oil is seeping through the turbo bearings or valve guides or head gasket (all of which are very rare if not non-existent on ecoboost engines), then the PCV is the main culprit.

Either 1 or 2 by itself will probably dramatically reduce if not eliminate that by itself, but the most assured way is to run both together. Also increases significantly if not eliminates the need for the "walnut shell blast" cleaning method of intake valves on DI engines which is suggested every 40k to 60k miles.

Ipittydafoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost performance package
I had same issue. You need to get this TSB 15-0192 done at the dealer. This was done under warranty.

"FORD:
2015-2016 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2015-2016 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 2.3L GTDI engine may exhibit a heavy continuous blue smoke with a burning oil smell after idling 10 minutes or longer."
Sponsored