Sponsored

Here's the 2021 Mach 1!!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm honestly disappointed in this as a mach1. It feels more like a "BOSS lite". mach1 is what first made me love Mustangs as a kid. My 2003 was my first mustang and my favorite car that I've owned to date. All I see here is confirmation that Ford could have done this in 2018 but just watered down the PPL2 and Bullitt because it didn't wanna hurt Shelby sales. It also makes me feel like this just means the PPL2 was more of a "beta test" to get feedback to make the mach1.

There have been many people that felt the PPL2 should have gotten a Diff cooler. Or that the Bullitt should have had a PPL2 handling package either stock or optional. To me, this mach1 just proves that Ford was just too worried that either would hurt GT350 sales. I'm not seeing anything on this that someone could not replicate with a base PPL2, and the Magneride and Power FP kits for MUCH less. You'd be missing the coolers, but you'd be saving THOUSANDS. With the fact, the 2019+ revision of the MT-82 has also given the car VERY few transmission complaints I'm also not sure the 3160 is even worth the price difference. It's also going to be trying to fight sales against used GT350's that will be thousands less than a new mach1.

They should have AT LEAST bumped it up to 500hp. As it sits the only reason I see to buy a mach1 is if you:
1. Can't drive manual or don't like manual
2. Do not already own an 18+ GT or 15+ GT350

Nothing about this car says "mach1" to me.

Thinking more about this I'm part wondering if there was a new BOSS planned ifor 2019. We already have had people saying the suspension engineers said they were told to build the PPL2 as if it were for a new BOSS car. Perhaps they decided to extend the GT350 a bit longer so that they would have no gap between it and the GT500, and also be able to say they "have two Shelby's in dealers" again. This would give Ford a suspension, tweaked 5.0, and aero they had already tested for a BOSS unused. So in 2018 they put the suspension into a GT(minus coolers). Easy enough to do as it was already designed for a 5.0 GT, just one with 20hp more. This may also be why the Bullitt is also technically nearly 1yr late for its real anniversary. It was a last-minute thought they could take advantage of as they had tested/certified the engine for the BOSS and had the extra GT350 intake parts on order and tuning done. The spoiler just went on the GT350 or was developed later. If it was developed later I suspect that during the delay they designed a new bumper to compliment the GT350 spoiler and to be less obvious than just using the PPL2 splitter.

With the GT350 staying around this gave them time to make a new bumper, and with the electric Mach1 getting backlash they decided to drop the BOSS idea and go with Mach1 to make people happy.

Possibly just all BS, but it sounds possible to me. R&D started, plans changed and they wanted to make money back on the R&D done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said earlier.. rebadged BULLITT parts bin car with a slightly less sticker price of a GT350. Until the dealer markup of course. Perfect good DCT trans floating around and nope, not an option. GT350 trans is what it gets. Big effing deal. Diff cooler, again, big effing deal. 20 bucks of header wrap will fix it. And I revise my earlier statement about the nose. That grill opening looks like a soul gem on its side from SKYRIM. I mean, FORD dropped the ball on this one big time. But the fan boys / press will gobble it up with nothing but praise.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Like I said earlier.. rebadged BULLITT parts bin car with a slightly less sticker price of a GT350. Until the dealer markup of course. Perfect good DCT trans floating around and nope, not an option. GT350 trans is what it gets. Big effing deal. Diff cooler, again, big effing deal. 20 bucks of header wrap will fix it. And I revise my earlier statement about the nose. That grill opening looks like a soul gem on its side from SKYRIM. I mean, FORD dropped the ball on this one big time. But the fan boys / press will gobble it up with nothing but praise.
To be fair if Ford had NOT made the PPL2, the Bullitt, or both the PP2 and Bullitt it would be much more impressive by comparison. It would look a lot more like "GT350 influence on the GT" and less like "random parts bin special with a fresh bumper." Either way, I still feel like it should be called BOSS. Nothing about it says Mach1 to me AT ALL. They should have at least put reverse hood vents to make them scoops like the 70 or 71 car.

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna call it, and I know there's plenty speculation on price, but in short, I think folks will be shocked at the higher prices than expected. I do not think a Mach1 will be available for anything under $50K. And, with the demise of the $60K GT350, the price point up to the GT500 leaves a lot of middle ground for Ford to lure buyers to GT350 prices. I am saying the Handling Pack Mach1 will go for $60K. This will not be close or slightly higher than a Bullitt...it'll be closer to GT350 for sure.

AND, dealers will mark them up anyway!!!

And I hope I am miserably wrong on both points.

Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Of course Ford wouldn't put the DCT in the Mach 1. That would take away from the halo Mustang.
The 350 trans is a "big effing deal", just because you haven't had problems with your MT82 doesn't mean other people haven't. That's been a major ongoing issue for numerous owners. There have been multiple lawsuits over the MT82. So putting the Tremec in it is a massive step in the right direction. Hopefully this will be the standard for newer base GTs.
The diff cooler is also a "big effing deal" and no, heat wrap won't fix the problem. It'll help buy you some time but definitely will not fix the problem.

Ford wanted to make this the most track-ready Coyote Mustang and they've done that. Is it over priced, sure. Is it a parts bin car, yes. Does it meet its intended purpose, yes. I don't think it's fair to say Ford dropped the ball on this just because you would rather have a flashier car to park at car shows than use them for their intended purpose. This Mach 1 tells me Ford cares about making track-focused cars from the factory. I couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I bet that is the refreshed bumper for 2021. Looks good.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
They should have AT LEAST bumped it up to 500hp.
This, 1000%.

The night before the ball dropped on the Mach, I went to bed a little pumped about what we'd learn. Probably the most excited I've been for a new Mustang model in several years, a Mach 1 hasn't been around for the better part of two decades, after all. Alas, the disappointment of 'only' 480 HP was real for me. I have every intention of pursuing a '22 GT500 if the planets line up, but the Mach rumors had me thinking otherwise. I'm not a road course guy, so the Mach only had to be as competent a handler as my modded PP (for me), but I had visions of the new Mach being akin to the bump in underhood hardware that the '03 Mach 1 was over the GT of the same year. I wanted one of those bad back when I had my '01 Bullitt, so my hopes were dashed with this new Mach. I think 500-510 HP would have been the sweet spot for the storied nameplate this time. Same as Bullitt, meh, it's like they stopped short and took the easy way out.

I get that there's only so much development money to go around, blah, blah, blah, but the GT350 heads are in the same general parts bin and GT350-spec cams for the CPC are a thing already....

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
This, 1000%.

The night before the ball dropped on the Mach, I went to bed a little pumped about what we'd learn. Probably the most excited I've been for a new Mustang model in several years, a Mach 1 hasn't been around for the better part of two decades, after all. Alas, the disappointment of 'only' 480 HP was real for me. I have every intention of pursuing a '22 GT500 if the planets line up, but the Mach rumors had me thinking otherwise. I'm not a road course guy, so the Mach only had to be as competent a handler as my modded PP (for me), but I had visions of the new Mach being akin to the bump in underhood hardware that the '03 Mach 1 was over the GT of the same year. I wanted one of those bad back when I had my '01 Bullitt, so my hopes were dashed with this new Mach. I think 500-510 HP would have been the sweet spot for the storied nameplate this time. Same as Bullitt, meh, it's like they stopped short and took the easy way out.

I get that there's only so much development money to go around, blah, blah, blah, but the GT350 heads are in the same general parts bin and GT350-spec cams for the CPC are a thing already....
I had VERY much hoped that it would get the heads/cams of the GT500 like the 03-04 had of the Terminator. It would have likely helped top end flow a lot. My Highest hopes were of an N/A version of the GT500 5.2. Instead, we literally got the cheapest option possible.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had VERY much hoped that it would get the heads/cams of the GT500 like the 03-04 had of the Terminator. It would have likely helped top end flow a lot. My Highest hopes were of an N/A version of the GT500 5.2. Instead, we literally got the cheapest option possible.
Yep.

I test drove a red auto '03 Mach back then, and it was a rocketship compared to my '01 Bullitt. I wanted to take it home, but ADM nonsense made it a no-deal for me. I hoped this new Mach would be an absolute GT killer like that '03, but nope. Maybe only road racing.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yep.

I test drove a red auto '03 Mach back then, and it was a rocketship compared to my '01 Bullitt. I wanted to take it home, but ADM nonsense made it a no-deal for me. I hoped this new Mach would be an absolute GT killer like that '03, but nope. Maybe only road racing.
Dang. The original owner of my 2003 got is with 0 ADM and X-Plan. To many dealers mess around.. I was originally looking for an 01 Bullitt when I got it. I REALLY wanted DHG, but the extra ~40 horses was to much to pass up.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I’m guessing someone with a Bullitt is running e85? That would solve the 500 HP concern. In my 2018 e85 was a huge win. I just really wish they would offer the handling package with the A10. Bigger different rims and tires more aero.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The 350 trans is a "big effing deal", just because you haven't had problems with your MT82 doesn't mean other people haven't.
Put some boost to the GT350 hollow shafts and see what happens. Anyways, Gen 1 MT82's had some problems on some units. Gen 2 D3 MT82's fixed those issues and other than the peeps complaining of 'notchy or 3rd gear lockout' very few have broke, and I'm betting those that did break, were heavily abused. Gen 3 D4 MT82's well FORD dropped the ball on that one, with the 3-4 shift fork breaking without to much effort, but they quickly fixed it. All n all I think the percentage of broken transmissions is around 1%, which the judge will quickly throw out the lawsuit. Want a VERY GOOD trans.. TR6060. Period.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All this hate and Ford is still investing/releasing high performance V8 Mustangs...I’m glad they made this. I won’t buy it because I own a 2018 PP1 already, but would we really rather have the Mach 1 not exist? If it doesn’t it’s just one step closer to meeting a fate identical to the Camaro. Ford’s stock isn’t setting records either these days. Count your blessings.

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
Tonight, I just gave cc# to my local dealer for $500 deposit, 1st allocation.
My 15gt, 72month loan will be paid off the day I get the Mach1 in March.
Finally able to get a gt350 looking front end for ~$50k in a limited edition mustang with the Mach badge
I’m stoked!!
It’s a gorgeous car!
You were able to find a dealership taking a deposit? I had called dealerships last week and the best I got was them putting my name on a list and offering to call when they got the order guide. Guess I’ll call around again tomorrow.
Sponsored