Sponsored

Here's a noob question: How do I clean my Ecoboost engine bay?

DSagun

Probably the slowest Eco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB aka SEULGI 1
To be perfectly honest, my Ecoboost Mustang is the first car I've owned where I actually care about cleanliness and constant maintenance. I've never cleaned the engine bay extensively and now it's getting to that point where it needs a good hose down.

I've looked at videos and instructions online and can't seem to find one for the Ecoboost. I'm looking specifically for the Ecoboost Mustang because I want to know what components I need to cover up before I start spraying whatever in there.

Any advice helps! Thanks!
Sponsored

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I cover my alternator with a plastic shopping bag and use minimal hose pressure in a spritz spray pattern for pre and post rinse. I have a wormy mitt dedicated for use in the engine bay and use any dishwashing detergent for the grease cutting agents. After washing and rinsing, I use an electric leaf blower to displace the water with pressure as this also aids in drying along with a microfiber towel dedicated for the bay. I do this once every 8 weeks before I wash my car and the bay looks like it came from the showroom ............ ;-)

OP
OP
DSagun

DSagun

Probably the slowest Eco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB aka SEULGI 1
Thank you very much! Are there any wiring that I need to consider covering up?

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
if you have an aftermarket CAI, cover the filter...spray engine with a soft stream setting, spray the engine bay with your choice of degreaser, agitate with a trim brush, spray with water, remove cover on filter, close hood, start car and let it run for about 5-10 min, open hood and wipe down with towel, dress with whatever plastic trim dressing you use

Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
should be mostly the same for every car

i suggest you go look at the adams polishes videos of the step by steps

SlowEldiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
With all the electronics under the hood my 2 cents would be to hand wash the engine bay, apply your degreasers to your cloth and wipe down, don't spray any cleaner or high power spray or water. Again, just my opinion. Better safe than sorry plus doing it by hand you can familiarize yourself with all the under hood components and monitor any leaks, check for frayed wires or hoses. I know know one here are idiots but just remember to never put any cold liquids on a hot engine, cracking of metal will happen. So if it helps anyone one out, take my advise. I'm glad you are taking great care of all areas of your vehicle. Always take pride and great care of your ride and your ride will take care of you. Cheers everyone.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Just some words of logic: Ford may have made the electronics so they can handle environmental conditions since the underhood area where they reside isn't completely sealed. Something to consider...

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Just some words of logic: Ford may have made the electronics so they can handle environmental conditions since the underhood area where they reside isn't completely sealed. Something to consider...
I wash and hose down entire engine bay about every three months. Been doing it for many years on all my cars with no problems.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It helps to have the engine slightly warm. NOT hot, but warm. Warm enough that after you rinse down it dries everything out faster from the residual heat in the engine. In the event water gets somewhere it shouldn't it will dry out faster. Also if you're super concerned don't start the engine of turn on any electronics for a couple hours after washing the engine bay.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I haven't washed my Mustang's engine yet, but I washed my Grand Cherokee's engine everyday for years and it looks great and I've had no issues. I just cover the K&N CAI filter, spray down with Orange Clean, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with a light rinse from the hose. If it's really dirty you may need to loosen some of the dirt with a brush. I plan to do the same thing to my Mustang this spring.
Sponsored