Here’s what my oil looks like at 4000 miles

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Some really good advice...... stop listening to your nephew the “mechanic”. Use a good proper synthetic oil, and get UOA. My last ecoboost on ethanol with 12k miles on the oil was still more then fine and said go another 5k and send in another UOA.. you have people going 20k on proper group v oils and still have no reason to drain it, it’s still doing it’s job.

But hey keep you nephew busy and changing you oil at 4k.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Some really good advice...... stop listening to your nephew the “mechanic”. Use a good proper synthetic oil, and get UOA. My last ecoboost on ethanol with 12k miles on the oil was still more then fine and said go another 5k and send in another UOA.. you have people going 20k on proper group v oils and still have no reason to drain it, it’s still doing it’s job.

But hey keep you nephew busy and changing you oil at 4k.

I do my own oil changes. For over 35 years. Maybe I should go for 30,000 or 50,000. What the heck, 100,000!!! UOA should still be good!!!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP - do what YOU want. It's your car, your money, your time. But don't expect people in car forums, many of them with years of experience from maintenance to full out performance builds going down the 1/4 mile to clap you on the back or not call you out when you post outdated information.

Shorter OCI for turbos was definitely a thing - before high quality synthetic oils became so common.

Personally I'd be more worried about direct injection and its effect on oil than I would the turbo aspect.

Do you REALLY want to learn about oil? From a forum designed for that purpose? Go over there and post your thoughts and ruminations and expert mechanic opinions. They'll make you think this is the friendliest forum in the world.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Again you never answered my first question about your "Dirty oil" you drained. Did you flush the entire engine after draining? If not guess what? Your pristine, clean oil mixed with all the residual "Dirty" oil the minute you turned the key.

Want piece of mind? Send your oil out for testing. That takes the guess work out of it.

But again, it's YOUR Car, YOUR money, YOUR time. Do what YOU want. But posting this, then getting mad when people post in the thread YOU created, because they don't agree with you...........well.........

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
To the OP - do what YOU want. It's your car, your money, your time. But don't expect people in car forums, many of them with years of experience from maintenance to full out performance builds going down the 1/4 mile to clap you on the back or not call you out when you post outdated information.

Shorter OCI for turbos was definitely a thing - before high quality synthetic oils became so common.

Personally I'd be more worried about direct injection and its effect on oil than I would the turbo aspect.

Do you REALLY want to learn about oil? From a forum designed for that purpose? Go over there and post your thoughts and ruminations and expert mechanic opinions. They'll make you think this is the friendliest forum in the world.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Again you never answered my first question about your "Dirty oil" you drained. Did you flush the entire engine after draining? If not guess what? Your pristine, clean oil mixed with all the residual "Dirty" oil the minute you turned the key.

Want piece of mind? Send your oil out for testing. That takes the guess work out of it.

But again, it's YOUR Car, YOUR money, YOUR time. Do what YOU want. But posting this, then getting mad when people post in the thread YOU created, because they don't agree with you...........well.........

So, my nephew “mechanic” who is a real “mechanic” and has seen the damage of waiting too long for oil changes recommends 5000 mile oil changes or less knows nothing according to you guys. He has 20 years experience being a real mechanic! Fine, you are entitled to think that. I know better. For you guys. It’s YOUR cars, it’s YOUR money (price of the car or engine is way more than more frequent oil changes).

I do worry about direct injection putting gas in the oil.

To answer your first question. No, I don’t flush the engine. I drain it and let it drip for an hour before I put the drain plug back in. And guess what? The little bit of “dirty oil” has no effect on the large amount of oil going in. It’s beautiful gold on the dipstick. Wow, how can that possibly happen if I didn’t flush it? I must have magic oil!! According to you, the oil should have been instantly dirty.

I have peace of mind! I change my oil BEFORE it has a possibility of sludging my engine. For the price of a UOA I can change my oil and KNOW what I’ve got. Fresh, clean oil. Wow, what a concept!!! That takes the guess work out of it!!!

I can get mad all I want. But, I’m not. I’m telling you real advice from a real mechanic. And I’m certainly not going to take the terrible advice of “forum people” over a real mechanic to change my oil at 20,000 miles or possibly even more. That’s just plain dumb. But, like I said. It’s YOUR money and YOUR car.

I feel really good about taking a real mechanic’s advice. Taking bad advice from forum people of changing your oil at 10,000, 20,000 or more miles is playing Russian roulette with your engine. But, you all can certainly do that if you want!!! So, just because you don’t agree with me on OCI, don’t assume you know everything and I (and my nephew mechanic) know nothing.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So, my nephew “mechanic” who is a real “mechanic” and has seen the damage of waiting too long for oil changes recommends 5000 mile oil changes or less knows nothing according to you guys. He has 20 years experience being a real mechanic! Fine, you are entitled to think that. I know better. For you guys. It’s YOUR cars, it’s YOUR money (price of the car or engine is way more than more frequent oil changes).
See how that works? But you're the type that's not going to stop. You're going to keep going. Do you think you're going to change peoples' minds? I've been wrenching for 30+ years. I was a GM Tech before I realized I hate working on other peoples' cars. But again, you do you. But I find it ironic that you are telling me that people sending their used oil off for chemical analysis are somehow not as knowledgeable as you and your nephew. That's why companies and organizations that put MILLIONS of hard miles on vehicles (police, fire, emergency, not to mention heavy trucks) go to higher OCI bases on analysis and millions of miles of experience.

Long story short? If a vehicle owner follows the MANUFACTURER's recommendations for OCI and maintenance, they'll be fine.

To answer your first question. No, I don’t flush the engine. I drain it and let it drip for an hour before I put the drain plug back in. And guess what? The little bit of “dirty oil” has no effect on the large amount of oil going in. It’s beautiful gold on the dipstick. Wow, how can that possibly happen if I didn’t flush it? I must have magic oil!! According to you, the oil should have been instantly dirty.
So that "Beautiful Gold" oil is still gold after running the engine to temp after the change?
So you admit there is STILL some 'dirty' residual oil in your engine after draining?
Good thing you don't run a quick lube place - that sitting for an hour would cut your profit margins.

I have peace of mind! I change my oil BEFORE it has a possibility of sludging my engine. For the price of a UOA I can change my oil and KNOW what I’ve got. Fresh, clean oil. Wow, what a concept!!! That takes the guess work out of it!!!
Again - that's fine for you. It's your choice right? So why are you still trying to change peoples' minds who have more experience than you?

I can get mad all I want. But, I’m not. I’m telling you real advice from a real mechanic. And I’m certainly not going to take the terrible advice of “forum people” over a real mechanic to change my oil at 20,000 miles or possibly even more. That’s just plain dumb. But, like I said. It’s YOUR money and YOUR car.
"Forum people". LOL. Okay that's fine. So why did you start this post? If "forum people" are so unimportant to you, why did you post this entire thread and a picture of your used oil? You wanted affirmation. You didn't get it. So you're mad.

I feel really good about taking a real mechanic’s advice. Taking bad advice from forum people of changing your oil at 10,000, 20,000 or more miles is playing Russian roulette with your engine. But, you all can certainly do that if you want!!! So, just because you don’t agree with me on OCI, don’t assume you know everything and I (and my nephew mechanic) know nothing.
I never said that about you or your nephew mechanic. But you did imply that 'forum people' know less than you and your nephew mechanic. Deflection is tough to face up to. I never stated I knew everything. So again, you do you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
See how that works? But you're the type that's not going to stop. You're going to keep going. Do you think you're going to change peoples' minds? I've been wrenching for 30+ years. I was a GM Tech before I realized I hate working on other peoples' cars. But again, you do you. But I find it ironic that you are telling me that people sending their used oil off for chemical analysis are somehow not as knowledgeable as you and your nephew. That's why companies and organizations that put MILLIONS of hard miles on vehicles (police, fire, emergency, not to mention heavy trucks) go to higher OCI bases on analysis and millions of miles of experience.

Long story short? If a vehicle owner follows the MANUFACTURER's recommendations for OCI and maintenance, they'll be fine.

So that "Beautiful Gold" oil is still gold after running the engine to temp after the change?
So you admit there is STILL some 'dirty' residual oil in your engine after draining?
Good thing you don't run a quick lube place - that sitting for an hour would cut your profit margins.

Again - that's fine for you. It's your choice right? So why are you still trying to change peoples' minds who have more experience than you?

"Forum people". LOL. Okay that's fine. So why did you start this post? If "forum people" are so unimportant to you, why did you post this entire thread and a picture of your used oil? You wanted affirmation. You didn't get it. So you're mad.

I never said that about you or your nephew mechanic. But you did imply that 'forum people' know less than you and your nephew mechanic. Deflection is tough to face up to. I never stated I knew everything. So again, you do you.

Hey ctandc72, chill. You’re mad. It’s going to be ok!!!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I started building engines and working on cars back in 1993, graduated UTI in 96, could post all the certs and accolades I’ve got over 26 years, but it won’t matter.. I don’t know what I’m talking about according to you. I’m glad Ford, GM, Yamaha, TRD don’t agree with you.. keep doing you, like everyone said it’s your money..

Also for the record, search amsoil and 100k Cruze. UOA still show it’s fine ;)

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I run a 4,000 - 6,000 mile oil change interval because I don't drive that many miles a year with my Mustang (and it's personal preference). I wouldn't mind running a 7,000 or 8,000 OCI if I had to, granted I have an oil filter that can handle the task.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I started building engines and working on cars back in 1993, graduated UTI in 96, could post all the certs and accolades I’ve got over 26 years, but it won’t matter.. I don’t know what I’m talking about according to you. I’m glad Ford, GM, Yamaha, TRD don’t agree with you.. keep doing you, like everyone said it’s your money..

Also for the record, search amsoil and 100k Cruze. UOA still show it’s fine ;)
It's not worth arguing with the troll. Let him waste his money based on what his "mechanic" nephew says. Engineers say otherwise, and it's well documented throughout various publications, not just from "forum people".

JR

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
It's not worth arguing with the troll. Let him waste his money based on what his "mechanic" nephew says. Engineers say otherwise, and it's well documented throughout various publications, not just from "forum people".

JR
All right! I’m a troll now!!! Ok folks let’s do some math. Our user manuals say change the oil somewhere between 3,000 and 10,000 miles depending on how we drive and conditions. Let’s go right down the middle and that’s 6,500 miles. Pretty safe spot to do oil changes don’t you think?

I’m not trying to convince anybody to change their oil early like I am doing. Lots here are trying to convince me to push the limits on oil changes and I’m just not going to do it. What’s the big deal about that? I’ve said you all go ahead and change your oil as long down the road all you want. Doesn’t bother me at all.

I’m not a troll, you’re not a troll. It’s just opinions on when we all want to change oil. Nothing is set in stone for exact mileage when it should be done. If it was, Ford would have one figure in the manual. Not 3,000 to 10,000. Chill folks. It’s going to be ok.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
35 years you say.
Well now that explains a lot and puts you right at the Grandpa OCI mile marker.

Great reply!

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Great reply!
Here’s how the OCI schedule works if you haven’t figured it out yet;

Great Grandpa’s OCI = 3000ish
Grandpa’s OCI = 5000ish
Dad’s OCI = 8000ish
OEM OCI = Thousands upon thousands of hours durability testing their motors and multi-millions invested into formulating oils to last the suggested OCI. Yeah I know BMW Ef’ed up, the reality is they got their oil recipe wrong.
Don’t think for a minute Big Oil is designing OEM motor oils secret sauce. Big Oil wins by lowest bid contract to blend the secret sauce for the OEM’s.
Then Big Oil or Microblenders (Amsoil, etc.) possibly reverse engineer the OEM’s secret sauce or switch’s a few things, rebrands it with a twist or two and markets it to the DIY oil change consumer at a retailer near you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Too long = outside of the performance envelope for lubricants.

Listen, I'm an engineer. I deal with data and facts. The DATA and FACTS support longer OCIs. You're just bullheaded and trolling a bunch of people who want the RIGHT data out there.

I'm done with this. Bye Felicia.

JR

I don’t care if you are the president of the United States of America. I have to weigh out facts from my mechanic nephew vs facts from jackknife from Mustang forums. I don’t doubt your UOA results at all. But, I don’t doubt my nephew’s experiences repairing engines every single day so, that’s what I’m going by. You have the right to change your oil at 20,000 miles and I have the right to change mine at 4000 miles. Just because I don’t go by your recommendations, you have to be an asshole and call me a troll and demand I go by what you say because you are an “engineer”. Telling new members to push the limits of oil and go too far with oil changes is just plain bad advice Mr. “engineer”. I hope you are done here and stop posting bad advice on MY thread!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I don’t care if you are the president of the United States of America. I have to weigh out facts from my mechanic nephew vs facts from jackknife from Mustang forums. I don’t doubt your UOA results at all. But, I don’t doubt my nephew’s experiences repairing engines every single day so, that’s what I’m going by. You have the right to change your oil at 20,000 miles and I have the right to change mine at 4000 miles. Just because I don’t go by your recommendations, you have to be an asshole and call me a troll and demand I go by what you say because you are an “engineer”. Telling new members to push the limits of oil and go too far with oil changes is just plain bad advice Mr. “engineer”. I hope you are done here and stop posting bad advice on MY thread!
Ugh. No one is advocating for pushing the limits of oil technologies, nor are we posting bad advice. We're posting generally accepted and validated information that's been gleaned from a wealth of sources, from Bob Is The Oil Guy, plenty of UOAs, Blackstone, and the oil manufacturers, themselves. All we're saying is that you're wasting oil and money by changing that soon. I don't change at 20k miles. I know people who do. I would never do it, because I don't put that many miles on in a year. I change on hard intervals - 10k miles OR 1 year OR oil change indicator, whichever comes first. I don't screw around with my engine.

But whatever, man, your nephew knows better than the rest of us. Peace.

JR
Sponsored